Half-Assed GDT: Defending Stanley Cup Champs St. Louis Blues @ Nashville Predators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schwartz17

Jan 19, 2020
I’m sure they’ll hang a banner for sweeping the defending Cup champs in the regular season and their fan base will eat it all up.

Reactions: Dbrownss

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Blues are 6-9-3 since the beginning of the year, and 5-4-1 in January. They have been pretty awful this year, both at defending and goaltending. Im not sure what can be done to fix this other than paying careful attention to the defensive side of things, but then you get a Hitchcock result like tonight. Blues need a spark offensively, whether that's from Kyrou or another kid from the AHL, or a trade. This current group isnt getting it done right now.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Blues just need to believe in the process, pay attention to detail and maintain the effort. They’ll pull out of this and win more games than they lose if they keep working and competing. They’ve lost so many 1-goal games where all the breaks have gone against them...eventually they’ll get rewarded. The last month has sucked, but they’re not going to collapse and fall out of the playoff picture. There too much talent and pride on this team...they’re just playing teams much more hungry, desperate and fortunate lately.

Reactions: Bluenatic

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Blues just need to believe in the process, pay attention to detail and maintain the effort. They’ll pull out of this and win more games than they lose if they keep working and competing. They’ve lost so many 1-goal games where all the breaks have gone against them...eventually they’ll get rewarded. The last month has sucked, but they’re not going to collapse and fall out of the playoff picture. There too much talent and pride on this team...they’re just playing teams much more hungry, desperate and fortunate lately.

I agree to a point.

But now is when teams get really hungry and play better and better. The Blues are trending in the opposite direction and I'm still seeing too much hesitation and mental mistakes out there.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
Did Nashville get the only PPs in the 3rd period for both games? They had 2 tonight in a game/period where the Blues dominated. They got the gwg last game on the PP and then the refs put the whistle away.

Completely nuts that the Blues don’t get a single point this weekend! They were by far the better team in both games. Really outside of the first 10 minutes yesterday, the Blues looked great (minus Faulk)

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
Speaking of Faulk, what was he doing on the gwg tonight. Backing in like he was playing a 2 on 1 and looked like he was blindfolded trying to stickcheck Turris

The Blues need to look into a depth defenseman at the deadline!

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Starting to feel like December from last year. Playing well enough to win, but not finishing on some chances. Stick with the grind

I was just thinking that my "December Blues" moniker for crappy Blues hockey needs to replaced by "February Blues"...an update for the Champs when they play like chumps

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Speaking of Faulk, what was he doing on the gwg tonight. Backing in like he was playing a 2 on 1 and looked like he was blindfolded trying to stickcheck Turris

He’s just an incredibly dumb player. That contract extension should have been earned if/when he proved to be a good fit for this club and roster, not given and hopeful of working out. Shades of Allen’s gift of a contract...you’d think Army would have learned from that mistake. Even if Petro walks, this guy isn’t someone to build around...definitely not a high-IQ guy that the Blues prefer. The pro-scouting department deserves all the scrutiny they get for this move.

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM

He may have seen Ekholm skating in on the right wing. Turris looked at him as he skated in. Problem was, two of the four Blues that went after the puck along the boards were coming back to the play and Barbashev was in position to break up a pass and pressure or cut Ekholm off had it gotten through.

I said in another thread that from what I have seen (and I rarely get to see Blues games here, today was an exception), I see too many defensive gaffes resulting in second and third chances, and players left open in great shooting positions. I attributed that to seeing too many players playing the puck and not a man. The defense was better at that today, right up to the GWG when four committed to the puck leaving Faulk back.

Faulk is not the guy I want to leave in that position, from what I have seen. I get what he was concerned about on the play, but all things considered, the play should have wound up with Turris on his butt.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
First game this season I decided not to watch. I will continue this IF no change for d-pair.

Please explain what Faulk did in that game winning goal? 7-years more watching Faulk. :shakehead

Reactions: DangledUpinBlues

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Hey! That’s statistics baby. This whole year we’ve seen that we play “dull” hockey, and we’ve known for years that scoring is a problem with the roster. We rode a high wave for awhile, but welcome to the regression. I’m not saying this team is bad, obviously it isn’t. This poor stretch is just part of the whole picture tho, and eventually we’ll course-correct back to somewhere in the middle, with or without Tarasenko.

Still, idk what has happened to Schwartz, but he isn’t half the player he was a few years ago. Add that to a shaky d-corps, below-normal goaltending, and a group of forwards that is struggling to find their footing, and you get a mid-season lull. I don’t think that’s something a trade fixes, I think it’s just a thing to ride out

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
He may have seen Ekholm skating in on the right wing. Turris looked at him as he skated in. Problem was, two of the four Blues that went after the puck along the boards were coming back to the play and Barbashev was in position to break up a pass and pressure or cut Ekholm off had it gotten through.

I said in another thread that from what I have seen (and I rarely get to see Blues games here, today was an exception), I see too many defensive gaffes resulting in second and third chances, and players left open in great shooting positions. I attributed that to seeing too many players playing the puck and not a man. The defense was better at that today, right up to the GWG when four committed to the puck leaving Faulk back.

Faulk is not the guy I want to leave in that position, from what I have seen. I get what he was concerned about on the play, but all things considered, the play should have wound up with Turris on his butt.
I completely agree that Faulk should not have been in that position, but dear Lord, his stick checking is atrocious! It is just unfortunate that he was the last man back, because he is the last person you want to see there.

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015
First game this season I decided not to watch. I will continue this IF no change for d-pair.

Please explain what Faulk did in that game winning goal? 7-years more watching Faulk. :shakehead
offering for the kraken maybe ? i dont want to hate on him ... but :dunce:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
How long has Bozak been on the wing in the top six? Any good reason to believe it’ll last for a bit?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
How long has Bozak been on the wing in the top six? Any good reason to believe it’ll last for a bit?
He’s been off and on there. Usually he’s on the 3rd line but the lines got mixed up and he just got put there a couple games ago.

If I was a betting man I’d say he’ll be back on the 3rd line within a week.

Reactions: PG Canuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->