GDT: Defending Stanley Cup Champs St. Louis Blues @ Avs| Starting 2020 on the Right...Note|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Did somebody win the Cup last night?

Stinker

It happens

The Blues did this several times in the playoffs

Shake it off and move on
It’s significant to see AjaxManifesto being so levelheaded and philosophical about a bad game.

I had a feeling this was coming. Last night meant everything to the Avs. They’ve had this game circled for a while. Good for them. The Blues have another tough game coming up. Time to start building another win streak.

It wasn’t Sanford’s most impressive game, but we can give him credit for some rust. I don’t see him winning the battle vs Kyrou though. I also think Armstrong will not acquire a splashy winger. Hopefully Tarasenko will be a factor before it’s all said and done.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Everyone other than Thomas had a shakey game. I'm as big a Schenn fan as anyone but he was rough last night.

But we just won 8 games in a row. You're going to lose some. It's hockey. I wouldn't be flabbergasted if we lost tomorrow either and then started a new win streak at home Tuesday against the Sharks.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
You do know the Avs have won 2 Cups, right? And with far more memorable teams than last years Blues squad. The Sakic, Forsberg, Roy, Blake Avs used to spank the Blues again-and-again. Teams have their ups & downs, so enjoy it while it's good.
I vaguely recall. Reality is that was a long time ago and Avs have mostly been not very good for last decade, which is probably why so many in arena last night acted like winning a random game in January was so monumental.

But yes, those Sakic-Forsberg-Roy Avs were a great team and I always rooted for them to beat the Red Wings.

Reactions: kagei

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
It’s significant to see AjaxManifesto being so levelheaded and philosophical about a bad game.

I had a feeling this was coming. Last night meant everything to the Avs. They’ve had this game circled for a while. Good for them. The Blues have another tough game coming up. Time to start building another win streak.

It wasn’t Sanford’s most impressive game, but we can give him credit for some rust. I don’t see him winning the battle vs Kyrou though. I also think Armstrong will not acquire a splashy winger. Hopefully Tarasenko will be a factor before it’s all said and done.
It doesn't mean that I'm not internally seething that the boys embarrassed themselves on national TV.

I remember getting drummed by Boston at home during game 6. I recall that something didn't feel right leading up to that game. I actually bailed on the downtown celebrations and went home before the game started. This team has a strange way of getting blown out and then not remembering it a day later.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I vaguely recall. Reality is that was a long time ago and Avs have mostly been not very good for last decade, which is probably why so many in arena last night acted like winning a random game in January was so monumental.

But yes, those Sakic-Forsberg-Roy Avs were a great team and I always rooted for them to beat the Red Wings.
What are you talking about? Pepsi center has been like that for the last two years in any game i've gone too. It's an exciting team and the fans are excited they're winning again. I wasn't aware a loud crowd meant what you're implying... Keep digging.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
We played poorly, but credit where credit is due: Colorado played very, very well last night. I didn't like the officiating in either direction last night but the Avs were easily the better team overall. IMO that outcome was more because of the Avs strong play than our poor play (even though both of those things occurred). Neither goalie was very good, but Binner would have needed to play his best game of the season to get us into OT.

Last night was a bummer because I live in Avs country and a 1 vs 2 in the West matchup in January was the "biggest" game of the season so far. We had a chance to dramatically increase our chances of winning the Central (and the Conference) and instead laid an egg and allowed the Avs to stay within striking distance. A 10 point division lead is a hell of a lot more secure than a 6 point lead. It's a downer, but long term I'm not worried. This team has demonstrated their mental toughness time and time again. I also don't think that this will be the officiating standard during the playoffs, which is an advantage to us. Rough night, but my long-term outlook is unchanged. I still think we are the favorites in the West and I still think Colorado and Dallas pose the two biggest threats to us in the playoffs (despite my money being on us against both).

I don't care about a President's Trophy, but my goal for the next 40 games is to win the Central and open up the playoffs against a Wild Card team instead of opening up with in a 2-3 matchup against either the Avs or Stars.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Come on, people. We celebrated pretty heavily 2010-2016 when we would win regular season games against the Blackhawks. It was exciting taking down the champs and one of the top teams. I don't blame the Avs or their fans for being excited.
No doubt. Also never went to the Hawks board to gloat and never saw Hawks fans come here and talk about cups that were won multiple decades ago.

Avs won a game in Jan. Cool. They are more than welcome to be happy and celebrate with their fans on their board.

I don't think anyone is blaming them for being excited. But going to the other teams board and bringing up cups from 20+ years ago and trying to rub it in and talk about relevance when you can't even sell out half of an outdoor game just a few weeks before the game when tickets have been on sale for months?

K.

Reactions: fishsandwichpatrol

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
No doubt. Also never went to the Hawks board to gloat and never saw Hawks fans come here and talk about cups that were won multiple decades ago.

Avs won a game in Jan. Cool. They are more than welcome to be happy and celebrate with their fans on their board.

I don't think anyone is blaming them for being excited. But going to the other teams board and bringing up cups from 20+ years ago and trying to rub it in and talk about relevance when you can't even sell out half of an outdoor game just a few weeks before the game when tickets have been on sale for months?

K.
Those posts were direct responses to an idiotic "LOL they can finally raise a banner" post and were pointing out that there are plenty of legit banners in the Pepsi Center. They aren't Nashville who is commonly the butt of banner raising jokes.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Those posts were direct responses to an idiotic "LOL they can finally raise a banner" post and were pointing out that there are plenty of legit banners in the Pepsi Center. They aren't Nashville who is commonly the butt of banner raising jokes.
Right. On the Blues forum. Then starting talking about decades old cups.

So you would be OK with Blues fans going over to the Jets GDT's after the Blues owned then 2 games in a row and brought up winning cups and beating WPG in the past if some Jets fan said Blues fans are too excited about winning a regulation game?

Also Colorado retiring #77 is not a legit banner.

Reactions: Blueston

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Right. On the Blues forum. Then starting talking about decades old cups.

So you would be OK with Blues fans going over to the Jets GDT's after the Blues owned then 2 games in a row and brought up winning cups and beating WPG in the past if some Jets fan said Blues fans are too excited about winning a regulation game?

Also Colorado retiring #77 is not a legit banner.
Yes, I would be fine with a Blues fans pointing out the complete and utter stupidity of another team's fanbase. This was the entire post:

So happy for Avs. This team finally gets to raise a banner. “Beat Cup Champs 1-2-20”

That is a stupid post. Reminding that poster that the Avs already have 2 Cup banners from a team widely regarded among the best of their era is completely appropriate. Which is what the STLAvsFan did by simply responding:

You do know the Avs have won 2 Cups, right? And with far more memorable teams than last years Blues squad. The Sakic, Forsberg, Roy, Blake Avs used to spank the Blues again-and-again. Teams have their ups & downs, so enjoy it while it's good.

There was nothing over the top about it and it was completely within the context of a post about banners.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007

It doesn't matter, it's against board etiquette to come over here and engage no matter how offensive the comment. Same rules apply to everyone.

Reactions: HerpaDerp

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Yes, I would be fine with a Blues fans pointing out the complete and utter stupidity of another team's fanbase. This was the entire post:

That is a stupid post. Reminding that poster that the Avs already have 2 Cup banners from a team widely regarded among the best of their era is completely appropriate. Which is what the STLAvsFan did by simply responding:

There was nothing over the top about it and it was completely within the context of a post about banners.
Yeah. I saw it...

I still don't believe in going to other fans boards and talking trash. There's idiots on every GDT for every team. You are saying other teams fans should actively be starting shit with other fanbases in their GDT.

Making a joke about hanging a banner is hardly a call to get trashed by another fan from another board. If someone got that offended about it they should probably unplug their internet or *gasp* don't visit other teams GDT's and whine and try to start stuff.

It's simple. I disagree with your promoting toxicity.

Reactions: fishsandwichpatrol

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

Whatever. They won Cups 20 years ago. They've sucked most of the past decade. If they want to get their panties in a wad bc I made fun of them in our GDT boo friggin' hoo. And that is pretty weak sauce by you justifying their fake tears.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
a col/stl rivalry is finally brewing again

avs will have to win a few for it to stay a rivalry and they look poised to compete for a few years to come

blues are 2-1 against the avs this season including last night's loss and the blues have outscored them 11-10 over the three games despite the lopsided loss last night. looking forward to the next rematch in two weeks.

Reactions: DinnerMints

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
blues would destroy the avs in a 7 game series if they are healthy. The Avs kryptonite will always be their D and Goaltending. keep in mind folks, blues are playing without their best offensive weapon still. Take Mackinnon out of the Avs lineup and I highly doubt they would have as many points as they have. Blues are playing great hockey considering all the injuries we have gotten.

That was a stupid game last night but hopefully is a wakeup call to start getting back to Blues hockey after 2 complete stinkers. The Power Play needs to start cashing in at key moments to help lift up a struggling offense right now.

Nederlander

Apr 19, 2017
Colorado
Seeing the game in person, what I saw was a Blues team that didn't play their game, which is hitting, grinding, forechecking, heavy hockey. There was none of that. Therefore, that played right into the Avalanche speed game. I don't know if the Blues were tired or what. But even when they pulled to within 3-2, they still were backing off, and looked tentative.

If you're a fan, stay on your own board. No need to get salty on the other fan's board, that's just being respectful. Just my two cents...

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Seeing the game in person, what I saw was a Blues team that didn't play their game, which is hitting, grinding, forechecking, heavy hockey. There was none of that. Therefore, that played right into the Avalanche speed game. I don't know if the Blues were tired or what. But even when they pulled to within 3-2, they still were backing off, and looked tentative.

If you're a fan, stay on your own board. No need to get salty on the other fan's board, that's just being respectful. Just my two cents...

I thought after the Blues scored the first goal they looked really good and I think were going to tie the game right up until JBow took that dumb tripping penalty. The Avs scored on that power play and the Blues looked disorganized again for the rest of the game.

Reactions: BlueOil

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Yeah. I saw it...

I still don't believe in going to other fans boards and talking trash. There's idiots on every GDT for every team. You are saying other teams fans should actively be starting **** with other fanbases in their GDT.

Making a joke about hanging a banner is hardly a call to get trashed by another fan from another board. If someone got that offended about it they should probably unplug their internet or *gasp* don't visit other teams GDT's and whine and try to start stuff.

It's simple. I disagree with your promoting toxicity.
You and I have very, very different definitions of "talking trash" and "toxicity."

If you are so offended by someone pointing out past accomplishments of their team in a not-at-all aggressive manner, then I suggest you follow your own advice about unplugging the internet. Because this is the entirety of the "starting shit", whining, etc:

Long time Nordique/Avs fan, but originally from St. Louis, so I like the Blue Note as well. I've seen the good times & bad times with both organizations, so it's kind of cool to see both teams on the upswing at the same time. Avs aren't nearly as well-balanced as the Blues are, but they'll become a real force within the next year or 2 if they can bolster their D-corps a bit more. Gonna make for a great rivalry!

I honestly can't comprehend interpreting that as starting shit, whining, trashing, or toxicity.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
You and I have very, very different definitions of "talking trash" and "toxicity."

If you are so offended by someone pointing out past accomplishments of their team in a not-at-all aggressive manner, then I suggest you follow your own advice about unplugging the internet. Because this is the entirety of the "starting ****", whining, etc:

I honestly can't comprehend interpreting that as starting ****, whining, trashing, or toxicity.
So you are a hypocrite. Ok.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO

K.

I don't endorse anyone going over to any other teams board. I don't recall ever defending that.

I'm just saying there were a few on here who were astonished at how the Avs could care so much about winning a regular season game in Jan and how the fans at the stadium were excited about the win when for a number of years we were excited to beat Chicago in a random game in January. And then to make "banner" jokes about a franchise that has two Stanley Cups and were pretty damn good in the late 90's/early 2000's. Just seems dense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->