Half-Assed GDT: Defending Stanley Cup Champions vs Gimped birds or something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
When all the parts do their job and follow the formula you get results like this! Kudos to the coaches for doing what ever they are doing to get everyone on the same page. This team is too much fun right now!
Don't jinx us! We DESERVE this after 51 years of suffering! Sit back and enjoy it! There's no such thing as "TOO MUCH FUN"! :naughty:

Reactions: jura

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I love the narratives fans of other teams come up with around the Blues. With incredible regularity, the belief is that their favorite team beat itself by not showing up to play rather than anything the Blues did to influence the outcome. Basically the one consistent point of respect is that the Blues are big or play a heavy game, but that's just as often thrown out with the prediction that if they simply use their speed and skill, they'll come away with the win. Or that the Blues mugged their way to an undeserved victory.

There's something the Blues have, though, that I think gets overlooked league-wide by analysts and fans: players who only need one touch to make a meaningful play. It's easy to spot a guy who is good with the puck on his stick and it's not too hard to spot a guy who can play well away from the puck. But when there's only time for a poke, chip, or a one-touch pass, it can be difficult to realize how much more effective an otherwise less impressive player can ultimately be. Top-to-bottom, the Blues have players who have very accurate sticks and the vision to match. So they aren't just winning more than their share of 50/50 battles, they're surprising the opposition and coming out of those battles in an advantageous position.
O'Reilly is perhaps the most dramatic example. Perron is a great example of a player who once needed the puck on his stick a lot to have an impact, but now he has the wisdom to get a lot of mileage out of simple plays. And it's why guys like Sundqvist and Barbashev are even better than they appear on the score sheet. It's no coincidence they often rack up points when they get bounced up the lineup. And it's no coincidence the Blues won the Cup upon finally securing depth of that caliber.

Last edited:

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
We have lots of talent but also lot if it is like with Pens. We understand system we want to play so they identify guys that can fit in (and use minors as training ground) if needed. You surround that with handful of stars and top goaltending and is great formula.
That is precisely why I have been negative about trade proposals that include Nylander, Eberle, Gusev, etc.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I love the narratives fans of other teams come up with around the Blues. With incredible regularity, the belief is that their favorite team beat itself by not showing up to play rather than anything the Blues did to influence the outcome. Basically the one consistent point of respect is that the Blues are big or play a heavy game, but that's just as often thrown out with the prediction that if they simply use their speed and skill, they'll come away with the win. Or that the Blues mugged their way to an undeserved victory.

There's something the Blues have, though, that I think gets overlooked league-wide by analysts and fans: players who only need one touch to make a meaningful play. It's easy to spot a guy who is good with the puck on his stick and it's not too hard to spot a guy who can play well away from the puck. But when there's only time for a poke, chip, or a one-touch pass, it can be difficult to realize how much more effective an otherwise less impressive player can ultimately be. Top-to-bottom, the Blues have players who have very accurate sticks and the vision to match. So they aren't just winning more than their share of 50/50 battles, they're surprising the opposition and coming out of those battles in an advantageous position.
O'Reilly is perhaps the most dramatic example. Perron is a great example of a player who once needed the puck on his stick a lot to have an impact, but now he has the wisdom to get a lot of mileage out of simple plays. And it's why guys like Sundqvist and Barbashev are even better than they appear on the score sheet. It's no coincidence they often rack up points when they get bounced up the lineup. And it's no coincidence the Blues won the Cup upon finally securing depth of that caliber.
Good comment.

Add Thomas to that list. He can chip the puck along the boards with one hand on his stick, and it magically jumps over the defender’s stick and right on the tape for the next guy.

This team is so good at the short passing game. Guys present outlet targets and they skate as a unit.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

Great comments. Not to take anything away from the amazing job Berube has done, but they have reminded me of those dominant, puck-possession Hitchcock teams from past years. They seem to win like 80% of their board battles, and often it's just a quick, one-touch play as you mentioned. They are always in the right position and know where their teammates are to make a quick pass or chip. The Blues are just beating teams with effort and determination right now.

Wow, these two victories were quite impressive. The "role players" are playing so well right now. What to say about Walker, except that this guy needs to stay in the NHL. He's a pro-level player. Barby is making up for Sunny's absence by turning it up a notch and I thought our 4th line had a fantastic game. DLR looks to be settling in and made some great plays at both ends, MacMac just keeps plugging along and Brouwer looked damn good as well. Sanford is finding his groove, too! Who would have thought that they would somehow keep playing better and better with all the injuries. Credit to the boys, but also to the coaching staff because they are making all the right moves.

CitizenSnips

TheFightingMongooses
Nov 23, 2011
St. Louis
I hear you. I will never understand this team's love of drop passes.
It is just a function of our lack of speed and being able to enter a neutral or offensive zone with speed. If we dont have the get up and go speed, using the drop pass to allow a player back in the play to get going is a useful and effective tactic.

That said, I do agree we do it more than necessary and it becomes a crutch. If teams pick up on it you see a lot of plays like we saw during the NSH games last week

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Great comments. Not to take anything away from the amazing job Berube has done, but they have reminded me of those dominant, puck-possession Hitchcock teams from past years. They seem to win like 80% of their board battles, and often it's just a quick, one-touch play as you mentioned. They are always in the right position and know where their teammates are to make a quick pass or chip. The Blues are just beating teams with effort and determination right now.

Wow, these two victories were quite impressive. The "role players" are playing so well right now. What to say about Walker, except that this guy needs to stay in the NHL. He's a pro-level player. Barby is making up for Sunny's absence by turning it up a notch and I thought our 4th line had a fantastic game. DLR looks to be settling in and made some great plays at both ends, MacMac just keeps plugging along and Brouwer looked damn good as well. Sanford is finding his groove, too! Who would have thought that they would somehow keep playing better and better with all the injuries. Credit to the boys, but also to the coaching staff because they are making all the right moves.
What pisses me off is this is playoff hockey. Cute "skilled" hockey doesn't translate to playoff hockey. We saw that with Tampa and Calgary getting smoked last year. We saw Boston/San Jose fans whine and cry because the Blues play too rough. Blues play the way they have to be successful. Now that we have a cup, the bickering means even less

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
That is precisely why I have been negative about trade proposals that include Nylander, Eberle, Gusev, etc.

While I love our depth right now, any time you can turn two or three nickels into a dime, you should very strongly consider doing so. Pittsburgh did that with Kessel and a few others that aren’t coming to mind right now. We did it with O’Reilly.

But we’re very similar to Pittsburgh in a lot of ways, and one consequence of that is that I wouldn’t be surprised to see our organization continue to put less focus on prospect development - or be highly selective about who sticks around - moving forward, just like GMJR has.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Didn’t take too long: Pouliot assigned to San Antonio. Don’t think he saw the ice after his penalty. Rather see Mikkola, Borgman, or maybe even Walman the next time the Blues need a lefty Dman.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Didn’t take too long: Pouliot assigned to San Antonio. Don’t think he saw the ice after his penalty. Rather see Mikkola, Borgman, or maybe even Walman the next time the Blues need a lefty Dman.
Funny that after the matador defense and almost immediate penalty several of us on here said that we hoped we never saw him on ice for Blues again. Berube apparently agreed because he didn't have another shift and today got shipped out.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
While I love our depth right now, any time you can turn two or three nickels into a dime, you should very strongly consider doing so. Pittsburgh did that with Kessel and a few others that aren’t coming to mind right now. We did it with O’Reilly.

But we’re very similar to Pittsburgh in a lot of ways, and one consequence of that is that I wouldn’t be surprised to see our organization continue to put less focus on prospect development - or be highly selective about who sticks around - moving forward, just like GMJR has.

The O’Reilly trade wasn’t turning nickels into dimes, it was using alchemy to turn some lint in our pocket into a dollar bill.

I think the Blues won the cup last year off depth and being a true team top to bottom. Maybe I’m wrong, but I’d be hesitant to bring in someone as long as the medical prognosis is looking strong for the playoffs.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Pouliot get his money so I hope next time we'll see call-up Mikkola or Borgman or even Walman in.

This is pathetic defence.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
What pisses me off is this is playoff hockey. Cute "skilled" hockey doesn't translate to playoff hockey. We saw that with Tampa and Calgary getting smoked last year. We saw Boston/San Jose fans whine and cry because the Blues play too rough. Blues play the way they have to be successful. Now that we have a cup, the bickering means even less

I think playoff hockey can be won in multiple ways. We are a clone of the former LA Kings with a blend of size, skill, depth and physicality. What separated them from us before was that they had more high end skill and a true #1 goaltender, but with the emergence ROR, Schenn, Parayko, and Binnington, we are the new Kings. The other juggernaut was the Blackhawks who didn't really play that physical in the playoffs. They were cheap at times, yes, but their blend of skill, depth, and relentless confidence made them tough to play against. As it stands, the Blues are the only current juggernaut in the western conference.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I think playoff hockey can be won in multiple ways. We are a clone of the former LA Kings with a blend of size, skill, depth and physicality. What separated them from us before was that they had more high end skill and a true #1 goaltender, but with the emergence ROR, Schenn, Parayko, and Binnington, we are the new Kings. The other juggernaut was the Blackhawks who didn't really play that physical in the playoffs. They were cheap at times, yes, but their blend of skill, depth, and relentless confidence made them tough to play against. As it stands, the Blues are the only current juggernaut in the western conference.
I do agree but I think the determination of elite skill players can mitigate the ground and pound of Blues/Kings/Caps hockey. Chicago and Pittsburgh were not scared to get hit to make a play. When I watched Tampa, they simply didnt want to stay engaged. Colorado kinda bucks the trend, because you just can't catch them. It would be an interesting series between the Blues at 100% and the Avs at 100%. They could easily burn the Blues, but if Stl could establish their forcheck, I'm not sure their micro defense would hold up past 2 games.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I agree that the Blues play similarly to the Kings, but the roster construction is more akin to a lesser version of the Blackhawks. A team that relies heavily on a star winger and two-way centerman for top-end talent at the forward position. Elite caliber defensemen where the opposite side is meant to compliment the skills of the other. A goalie that might not be elite in the traditional definition, but plays so well given the roster and system that it doesn't matter too much. And high end 2nd-line talent with a bottom-6 full of aggressive forechecking.

Now, of course, it's not a perfect 1-to-1 comparison. The Blackhawks had much better elite talent and I'd argue the Blues have better depth throughout their bottom-6, not to mention Brayden Schenn is a better 2nd-line center than anything the Hawks had in those days. But I see a lot of comparisons between the two that I have to think was intentional to some degree on Armstrong's part.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
I do agree but I think the determination of elite skill players can mitigate the ground and pound of Blues/Kings/Caps hockey. Chicago and Pittsburgh were not scared to get hit to make a play. When I watched Tampa, they simply didnt want to stay engaged. Colorado kinda bucks the trend, because you just can't catch them. It would be an interesting series between the Blues at 100% and the Avs at 100%. They could easily burn the Blues, but if Stl could establish their forcheck, I'm not sure their micro defense would hold up past 2 games.

That is true. Tampa did not want to play physical, and Columbus ran them over for it. I'm really not that worried about Colorado because their depth isn't that great. There is currently no team in the West that can roll all 4 lines against us. Outside of MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, and Makar, I am not super impressed. Kadri and EJ are okay. Our top 6 forwards can compete with theirs, but our bottom 6 forwards and overall defense will eat them alive in a 7 game series.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Colorado's defense is bigger than league's average. They literally have 1 guy under 6' tall (Girard). Other than that Zadorov, Graves, Cole and Johnson are all big and physical guys. Makar is in the middle at roughly 6'0 190lbs.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
I agree that the Blues play similarly to the Kings, but the roster construction is more akin to a lesser version of the Blackhawks. A team that relies heavily on a star winger and two-way centerman for top-end talent at the forward position. Elite caliber defensemen where the opposite side is meant to compliment the skills of the other. A goalie that might not be elite in the traditional definition, but plays so well given the roster and system that it doesn't matter too much. And high end 2nd-line talent with a bottom-6 full of aggressive forechecking.

Now, of course, it's not a perfect 1-to-1 comparison. The Blackhawks had much better elite talent and I'd argue the Blues have better depth throughout their bottom-6, not to mention Brayden Schenn is a better 2nd-line center than anything the Hawks had in those days. But I see a lot of comparisons between the two that I have to think was intentional to some degree on Armstrong's part.

You could definitely make that comparison too. I was thinking the other day how ROR and Tarasenko are basically our own Toews and Kane. Either way, every team were are mentioning here has a #1c, #1W, #1D, and a #1 goaltender. Outside of that, each team has 4-5 core forwards, 2-3 key defensemen, and a good starting goaltender.

Former Kings top 5
Kopitar, Carter, Richards, Brown, and Williams
Former Hawks top 5
Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, and Saad
Current Blues top 5
ROR, Tarasenko, Schenn, Schwartz, and Perron

Kings D
Doughty, Muzzin, Voynov
Blues D
Petro, Parayko, Bouwmeester
Hawks D
Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson

These comparisons blow my mind because fans around the league still think the Blues somehow got lucky through 4 rounds of the playoffs despite their roster construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad