Half-Assed GDT: Defending Stanley Cup Champions vs Gimped birds or something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Colorado's defense is bigger than league's average. They literally have 1 guy under 6' tall (Girard). Other than that Zadorov, Graves, Cole and Johnson are all big and physical guys. Makar is in the middle at roughly 6'0 190lbs.
True buy my point is that's the guys you target. We saw the Blues neuter those guys in the game we played, and it stifles them. Zadorov is the only theyll bounce off of.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
These last three wins have been impressive given the team's health and the quality of the competition.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
The O’Reilly trade wasn’t turning nickels into dimes, it was using alchemy to turn some lint in our pocket into a dollar bill.

I think the Blues won the cup last year off depth and being a true team top to bottom. Maybe I’m wrong, but I’d be hesitant to bring in someone as long as the medical prognosis is looking strong for the playoffs.
Schenn was similarly a steal of a trade we git the prior year.

Its amazing how we secured oue top 2 centers in trades while giving up almost nothing 2 years in a row.

Perrons contract for us now is a ridiculous steal of a deal

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Didn’t take too long: Pouliot assigned to San Antonio. Don’t think he saw the ice after his penalty. Rather see Mikkola, Borgman, or maybe even Walman the next time the Blues need a lefty Dman.
He couldn’t have made a worse impression for a guy getting an AHL call up.

Reactions: Blueston

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
I thought he looked fine the first game. Yesterday though was a complete disaster.

I miss butler. He was a great fillin for injuries when needed who was mostly reliable and serviceable while providing nothing spectacular

Reactions: Hrkac Circus

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

Its amazing how we secured oue top 2 centers in trades while giving up almost nothing 2 years in a row.

I wouldn't say we gave up nothing. Gave 2 1sts for Schenn, 1 of which was fairly high. Gave up 1st, 2nd, and quality prospect for ROR. I liked both trades at times and thought they were what we needed but it didn't necessarily have to be so. Schenn had played little center to that point and ROR was perceived as a risk for other reasons. Obviously they both worked out great and flags fly forever, but there is certainly an alternate scenario where we gave up 3 #1s, a #2, and recent #1 and Yeo and Allen guide us to a couple first round exits.

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018

Schenn wasn't so much of a steal. Those 2 1st round picks. #14 & #27. Both are looking like pretty good picks.

O'Reilly, now that was a steal based on our the prospects we had. Cost last pick of the 1st round, 2nd, & Thompson.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
Talk about salt in the wound for Buffalo. The most valuable piece in the trade ended up being a 31st overall pick because the Blues won the cup

I’m sure they were licking their chops when the Blues were dead last into January.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

As others have said, Schenn was a perfect trade for both teams. I bet Philly is perfectly fine with Frost and Farabee. They were rebuilding and the Blues were looking to make a run. Win/Win.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Talk about salt in the wound for Buffalo. The most valuable piece in the trade ended up being a 31st overall pick because the Blues won the cup

I’m sure they were licking their chops when the Blues were dead last into January.
I dont bother certian Buffalo fans anymore...but I strangely still enjoy that team collapsing. Over the offseason when the Athletic was rating the greatest trades, I almost tagged Vogel in the tweet. That slimeball did his damndest to drag Orielly through the mud.

Reactions: Itsnotatrap

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

It was top 10 protected anyway, so there was never really a chance for something dramatic.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I am not at all surprised at the Pouliot demotion. What does surprise me, is why Borgman wasn't called up instead in the first place.

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I am not at all surprised at the Pouliot demotion. What does surprise me, is why Borgman wasn't called up instead in the first place.
I didn't think Pouliot was bad at all.

I think it's a simple numbers thing. Bort is back. Bort and Gunny alternate as the D man in the press box.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
True buy my point is that's the guys you target. We saw the Blues neuter those guys in the game we played, and it stifles them. Zadorov is the only theyll bounce off of.
And the small ones are the ones with the puck. Zadorov isn’t carrying it as much as Makar or Girard.

Reactions: Dbrownss

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
And the small ones are the ones with the puck. Zadorov isn’t carrying it as much as Makar or Girard.
Despite that, I will be happy if the Avs trade Zadorov for Hall, (or whomever), just so we don't have to play against him.

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Disagree. He was fine.

On his penalty the puck skipped over his stick, the Pen took off, and Pouloit had to haul him down to avoid an easy score.

I see our vets do stupid stuff now and then and we don't treat them nearly with the same level of derision as we do the guys on the cusp. I think DP, who I like a lot, commits a stupid O zone penalty nearly every other game.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I didn't think Pouliot was bad at all.

I think it's a simple numbers thing. Bort is back. Bort and Gunny alternate as the D man in the press box.
They tried to shelter him to keep him from getting exposed and, well, we can’t unsee what happened. He wasn’t bad until he had to make a play 1 on 1 against guy I’ve never heard of and he looked like he was waiving red cape as Binnington was gored by no name bull. Then took bad penalty. And that is likely last we will ever see of him. I hope.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Disagree. He was fine.

On his penalty the puck skipped over his stick, the Pen took off, and Pouloit had to haul him down to avoid an easy score.

I see our vets do stupid stuff now and then and we don't treat them nearly with the same level of derision as we do the guys on the cusp. I think DP, who I like a lot, commits a stupid O zone penalty nearly every other game.
Berube apparently didn’t think so as Pullout didn’t see ice again once he skated from penalty box to bench.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Disagree. He was fine.

If a top player undressed him, it’s one thing. But that was against protected matchups and immediately after getting embarrassed by giving up a clear breakaway goal on a play where he started with possession of the puck.

Reactions: Blueston

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Really? He's relatively invisible against us.
Lol, maybe I have seen to many of his highlight reel hits. I guess I was thinking it is a matter of time before he clotheslines one of our guys. Especially in the playoffs! In any case, I would love to see him off the Avs, and actually ..., I'd love him on the Blues.

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Lol, maybe I have seen to many of his highlight reel hits. I guess I was thinking it is a matter of time before he clotheslines one of our guys. Especially in the playoffs! In any case, I would love to see him off the Avs, and actually ..., I'd love him on the Blues.
I think he's caught someone already...and maybe I'm misremembering, but I think one of the Blues caught him too.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I wouldn't say we gave up nothing. Gave 2 1sts for Schenn, 1 of which was fairly high. Gave up 1st, 2nd, and quality prospect for ROR. I liked both trades at times and thought they were what we needed but it didn't necessarily have to be so. Schenn had played little center to that point and ROR was perceived as a risk for other reasons. Obviously they both worked out great and flags fly forever, but there is certainly an alternate scenario where we gave up 3 #1s, a #2, and recent #1 and Yeo and Allen guide us to a couple first round exits.

it was 1 1st for Schenn and 1 1st to get rid of Lehtera.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad