GDT: Defending Stanley Cup Champions St. Louis Blues vs. Washington Capitals -- Flags Fly Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
One thing to consider: the Capitals are a VERY good hockey team that won their division last year after winning the Stanley Cup two years ago.

Getting one point out of this distraction-filled game after a short offseason was actually quite an accomplishment.
I wouldn’t say I was expecting worse but I felt like we were the “underdogs” going into last night for reasons that you stated.

I usually don’t put much stock into how teams play in the preseason but the Caps were steamrolling teams. Their only loss was against the Blues in a game that was pretty close.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Speaking of the patches, I think it is bizarre that they used those bad-looking patches instead of the Champions patch that was sold on jerseys all summer.
I agree. Those looked very amateur with all the excess white around the cup. I noticed them right away.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
You guys do realize the patch is literally a copy of the banner, right?

Yes.

And a banner just pasted onto a jersey looks bad. It's the first time a team has worn a Cup Champs patch during the game on their banner raising night and they looked terrible. Meanwhile, this patch already exists, is officially licensed, was sold on a ton of jerseys this summer and doesn't look terrible:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/GbkAAOSwAAJdGPIy/s-l640.jpg

Reactions: stl76

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
If you think YOU'RE feeling down about last night, you should go read the Shark's GDT about their opening game :D

That team gets a ton of free kudos from the national hockey media. But I'm never impressed with them. Actually, in fair disclosure, I have an unhealthy and illogical hatred for that team, it's fans, and that town. This probably stems from my first point about media bias towards the Sharks.

Love that it was VGK that beat em last night. I always enjoy watching VGK games, especially at home.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Am I only one who would like to separate Pietro - Faulk d-pair?

Code:
Dunn - Pietro
Jbo - Parayko
Gunnar - Faulk
I think we need to give it another few games. I don't think it's Faulk, but rather Petros obvious discomfort with playing on a different side.

If the two can get it going, they might give us more backend scoring without losing our D-first focus. That would help us greatly this season.

Then sort out the PP and the home record issues and we have a good shot at making the playoffs and going deep.

fishsandwichpatrol

Mar 29, 2014
Upstate SC
That team gets a ton of free kudos from the national hockey media. But I'm never impressed with them. Actually, in fair disclosure, I have an unhealthy and illogical hatred for that team, it's fans, and that town. This probably stems from my first point about media bias towards the Sharks.

Love that it was VGK that beat em last night. I always enjoy watching VGK games, especially at home.

I do too, and last year solidified it. I'm more gleeful about their misfortunes than even Chicago and having a cup now makes it so much better.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I think we need to give it another few games. I don't think it's Faulk, but rather Petros obvious discomfort with playing on a different side.

If the two can get it going, they might give us more backend scoring without losing our D-first focus. That would help us greatly this season.

Then sort out the PP and the home record issues and we have a good shot at making the playoffs and going deep.
Well clearly Pietro's game was akward at offiside. He looked like he got lingering injury. He looked so bad when he played at blueline with backhand. I think there was couple cases where Faulk was left side and make couple really good plays (pass) for example that ROR breakaway just end of 3rd period.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007

It probably stems from them knocking your former favorite team (Nashville) out of the WCF years ago...

I kid

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada

Code:
Dunn - Pietro
Jbo - Parayko
Gunnar - Faulk

I agree with Ranksu. Vehemently. After reviewing last night's game, the first thing that stood out to me was how shaky Pietrangelo was, especially defensively. This experiment of Alex on the left side needs to end now. It is absolutely, without question, a defensive liability. As I thought it would be.

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

Code:
Dunn - Pietro
Jbo - Parayko
Gunnar - Faulk
I'm not there. With that said, I want to see Faulk as the guy on the left side and my hope is that we're using Petro there for just a couple games while Faulk learns our system.

Ideally, I want to see Faulk moved to the left side and then get a 10-15 game sample of 72-27 before I make a judgment. There are absolutely going to be bumps along the way, but the decision between using Faulk as a top 4 D or the 3rd pairing D is too important long-term to abandon the experiment after 2 games (one of which was a preseason game).

I'm not sold that it will work, but we owe it to ourselves to figure it out and make a decision with a month+ of data in October instead just assuming it won't. I may change my tune on that if we are 2-5-1 in a couple weeks, but I don't think the hiccups we'll see while we figure it out are going to cause that.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
St. Louis Blues Champs Banner Raising Panoramas

giphy.gif

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

Code:
Dunn - Pietro
Jbo - Parayko
Gunnar - Faulk
I’d prefer if we can see whether one is more effective on the left side and be able to keep both in the top 4. But there needs to be a couple weeks or so of games before we can see anything.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I’d prefer if we can see whether one is more effective on the left side and be able to keep both in the top 4. But there needs to be a couple weeks or so of games before we can see anything.
This makes sense. I'd give them through this month and see how it pans out. Many times the two of them would switch sides during the plays. I did see one time where Petro absent mindedly skated to the right side and suddenly realized he was on the left. Give them time to practice together. I am betting we see a much smoother pair on Saturday after a couple of practices under their belts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad