GDT: Defending Stanley Cup Champions St. Louis Blues vs. Washington Capitals -- Flags Fly Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Thomas' ice time got cut because he kept turning the puck over at the opponents blue line instead of getting the puck deep and getting on the forecheck. After about the 3rd time he did this in the first ~30 minutes of the game, he started riding the pine. Personally, I had zero issue with the call to sit him. He needed to be more responsible with the puck and play within the system.

All-in-all, a bit disappointing to not take care of business, but that was a pretty good opening game against an very tough opponent. Gotta give some credit to the caps, even without Kuznetsov, they are still a very dangerous team. That Vrana kid is the real deal, he is fun to watch.

Hope Blais is alright, it was great seeing him score that first goal. He has worked so hard to get to this point, I'm rooting for him to hold down that spot in the top 6 with ROR and Perron. Watching the replay of his head whiplashing back and forth after those two hits, and then him taking so long to get up, I couldn't help but worry about a concussion. Wouldn't be surprised if he got pulled by the concussion spotter and that's why he didn't return.

Exactly this. I think with that hit and his head and neck movement the way it was he'd have sat out the rest of the game whether or not he said he was fine to play, just because of the league's concussion protocol.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I honestly expected them to lose by a couple goals so this was better than that. Some good, some bad, it is what it is. They were still leagues better tonight than they were at any point in the first 10 games last year thankfully.

Reactions: Bendak and mk80

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
Thank God this was just one game and there is a long way to go. Saw a lot of the same garbage as the first half last season. Getting a lead of two goals and then just quitting on the game. This was epidemic last year. Also Petro was garbage all night. Too many inexplicable plays from him, this too was just like last year. I could really see him losing ice time to Faulk on the PP and hopefully that happens ASAP. Petro has Never been a good PP player despite his many strengths elsewhere. Dump him and Steen and this PP will get better. The difference between last night and last year is last year the score would have ended up 5 to 2 . Binny gives me a lot of hope and he kept them in the game after they quit playing In my opinion.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I thought Binnington had a very strong game. Would have been nice to get a stop on the OT winner, but that’s a much tougher save to make than it looked. It’s hard to stop a when a guy is skating one way and shoots back from where he came, particularly when they’re carrying as much speed as Vrana was.

Boyesfan

Feb 4, 2008
I doubt it. Oshie was going for a hit when Blias was already hit and losing balance. It was high but unintentional imho. You can see Oshie’s concern right away

Maybe I need to look at it closer, but to me Blais was skating away so how would he hit him? It would be different if oshie saw the other player coming to hit Blais and braced himself. But that’s not what happened he decided to launch himself upward.

Reactions: Bendak

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Watched the Berube post game.

He commented on the same thing I saw in the 2nd...baaaaaddddd puck management. They played like last year's November Blues after going up 2-0. Very frustrating.

Binny kept them in it during regulation and allowed the team to walk away with a point. I think Chief said he went to the locker room afterwards and talked about playing "their game".

Side note: I like RORs post game interviews. He's honest, contrite, and at the same time optimistic in his tone. I like and respect Petro, but his post game interviews can be a little too snarky for me.

Last edited:

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010
My thoughts on the game:

1. Every player on the ice for both teams is rusty so it's impossible to judge anything

Great post.. some people on here have ridiculous expectations. The first 5 games or so are just an extended preseason, by oct. 21 we will start to see where we stand.

Last night was an amazing night for the Blues and thier fans!

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
I’m sure it won’t happen but I do really hope the NHL looks at the hit on Blais. There is no reason for Oshie to explode upward with that hit.

I don't want the NHL to review anything Blues related.
They're just as likely to see a hit like that and suspend Blais as they are to punish the Caps.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Didn't get to watch live, but wow, it was surreal to see the cup skated around on our home ice, and the banner raising + "Gloria" will never get old.

At least we got a point, though. :nod:

Reactions: stl76 and Bendak

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I don't see how oshie can be blamed for the first hitting making Blais spin and fall back into him. It wouldn't surprise me either way.
The same way Sunny got blamed for Grzelcyk's awkward positioning when he hit him in Game 2 of the SCF. The standard is that if you see that the opponent has made himself vulnerable you are responsible for aborting the hit. I don't think Oshie had as much time to react as Sunny did in that instance, but that is the standard the league has set.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I don't have much insight into last night's game. I have a party for opening night every year, so while I watched the game it was not with my usual level of focus.

With that said, lump me into the crowd that believes there is little-to-no insight to be gained in the first handful of games in the season. I will say, I really, really liked the PP goal and don't quite understand how people are pointing to tonight as a reason to take Petro off the PP unit. The puck movement between 72 and 27 was the best thing I saw out of our PP tonight. A right handed shot on the left point who is willing to crank a one timer is an element that absolutely makes the PP better.

Last edited:

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Great post.. some people on here have ridiculous expectations. The first 5 games or so are just an extended preseason, by oct. 21 we will start to see where we stand.

Last night was an amazing night for the Blues and thier fans!
Nobody said anything of the kind. People have just expressed their analysis of "a" game, not the looming season.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
In retrospect I blame the patches.
Those patches were really bad haha

Didn't get to watch live, but wow, it was surreal to see the cup skated around on our home ice, and the banner raising + "Gloria" will never get old.

At least we got a point, though. :nod:
I laughed out loud but also started tearing up when they played Gloria as the banner was being raised. Not sure exactly why, but the feels didn’t really hit until they played that dang song.

Reactions: shmotz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad