GDT: Defending Stanley Cup Champions St. Louis Blues vs. Dallas Stars -- 7 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
In isolation Benn was the victim on that play. But, he has it coming from some of his crap earlier in the game. He also has it coming for being like that frequently, so no sympathy from me.

Even in isolation, he dives onto Binnington after a weak shove. Dude stays on his feet under a lot more pressure than that if there's no goalie to flop on.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Where is this narrative that Sanford was good in the playoffs come from? He had 4 points in 8 games, and the only reason he got on the ice after being benched early in the playoffs was injury. The one goal he scored was completely due to Perrons work.

I thought he was the worst forward we iced in the playoffs by a sizable margin, save for maaaaybe Fabbri. But I keep seeing people talk up his playoff run.

He had good moments in the playoffs when called on but even in game 7 he was benched. The first goal in game 7 started with the hit from Blais. He was only playing on that line because Sanford was temporarily benched most likely from the lackluster play in the defensive zone prior to that.

Reactions: Bendak

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Where is this narrative that Sanford was good in the playoffs come from? He had 4 points in 8 games, and the only reason he got on the ice after being benched early in the playoffs was injury. The one goal he scored was completely due to Perrons work.

I thought he was the worst forward we iced in the playoffs by a sizable margin, save for maaaaybe Fabbri. But I keep seeing people talk up his playoff run.
I really liked his overall game. When Maroon fell of the cliff, Sanford taked so called Maroon's role. Really good at cycle and possession puck at corners. In my books he was maybe the best forward possessing puck at playoffs.

I think this was Sanford best play at playoffs.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Even in isolation, he dives onto Binnington after a weak shove. Dude stays on his feet under a lot more pressure than that if there's no goalie to flop on.
Agreed. He was going for the goalie interference being nullified because of Petro is the Stars scored.

As for the Stars....looks like the same team as last year. :dunno:

Reactions: Bendak

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

In fairness, saying he was our 2nd worst forward still isn’t much of an insult because that just shows how good everyone else played. We didn’t really have any passengers.

Sanford sucked against Winnipeg. He was better against Boston. Still wasn’t perfect but made some nice plays and was way more physical.

That said, he got a chance to redeem himself and completely dropped the ball tonight. Getting benched for a period in your first game of the season is not a good sign.

If Thomas remains out - and he should until he’s completely healthy - then it’s now Mac’s chance.

Here’s what we should be rolling Monday:

Schwartz-Schenn-Tarasenko
Blais-ROR-Perron
Fabbri-Bozak-Sundqvist
Steen-Barbashev-MacEachern

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I was hoping making a difference at times in last years run would make Sanford work even harder and be consistent. Starting in training camp he just still looks like the same old guy. I think he winds up getting traded.
He better keep an eye on San Antonio if Kostin and/or Kyrou start lighting it up. He could find himself traded or even waived.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I was really interested by the usage of Faulk tonight (really the D in general). He logged 19:24, which was 50 seconds more than our busiest LD. Petro played 23:10 while Parayko played 22:45. Petro, Parayko and Faulk combined for about 57 even strength minutes in a game that had 52 minutes of even strength time. So that gives us about 3 or 4 shifts where 2 of the 3 were paired together at even strength.

That's a lot more than a traditional 3rd pairing D man and isn't a bad situation if it is the long term plan. If you want to bump up Petro/Parayko's usage in the playoffs, you can sprinkle in a few more shifts where Faulk takes a shift with one of them to keep him around the 19 minute mark.

I still want to experiment with Faulk playing full games on the left side. Even if it doesn't turn into his regular shift, getting him more and more comfortable there is good for those shifts where he goes out in that role. But after seeing how Berube was able to manage all 3 mainly playing on the right side, I'm pretty confident we can just roll the absolute best right defense group in hockey.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I don’t remember who it was, but last year when we were doing the prospect rankings, I kind of laughed off somebody that said Blais could be an effective top 6 forward for the Blues if given the chance. So to that poster, I would like to say:

I am very dumb :laugh:

He’s looked outstanding. He’s playing with so much confidence and has arguably been the best player on the team thus far.

Reactions: mk80 and 67Blues

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Perron is again looking like a 50 point forward for under 5 million dollars which is an incredible steal. Blais looks like he's finally taken that leap to where he is staying in the NHL, he doesn't look behind on plays anymore. Sanford is still disappointing, he falls to his feet more than Oshie did in his time here. We wouldn't be close in these games though if it wasn't for Binnington. He's made some excellent saves these two games and really kept each game tight.

Reactions: mk80

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I was really interested by the usage of Faulk tonight (really the D in general). He logged 19:24, which was 50 seconds more than our busiest LD. Petro played 23:10 while Parayko played 22:45. Petro, Parayko and Faulk combined for about 57 even strength minutes in a game that had 52 minutes of even strength time. So that gives us about 3 or 4 shifts where 2 of the 3 were paired together at even strength.

That's a lot more than a traditional 3rd pairing D man and isn't a bad situation if it is the long term plan. If you want to bump up Petro/Parayko's usage in the playoffs, you can sprinkle in a few more shifts where Faulk takes a shift with one of them to keep him around the 19 minute mark.

I still want to experiment with Faulk playing full games on the left side. Even if it doesn't turn into his regular shift, getting him more and more comfortable there is good for those shifts where he goes out in that role. But after seeing how Berube was able to manage all 3 mainly playing on the right side, I'm pretty confident we can just roll the absolute best right defense group in hockey.
I like a plan where we go into the playoffs with our top D all fresh. I think last year the true grind of a Cup run became obvious to the players and the coaching staff and now they know what it takes to play 100+ games in a season. This is why having that moniker "Stanley Cup Champion" on your resume means so much. You learn a ton on how to manage your season.

Reactions: Brian39 and mk80
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->