GDT: Defending Stanley Cup Champ Blues vs. Chicago - 7:30| My How The Turn Tables|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
One of the most boring Blues/Hawks games I've watched, this rivalry is no fun when the Hawks suck.

Reactions: jura

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
A couple weeks ago I talked about how Binner's shutout against the Flames was the easiest 40 save shutout I'd seen at the NHL level. This 38 save shutout for Allen was the exact same thing. Shots from the outside, not a lot of 2nd chances, very few cross ice passes and just not many dangerous chances in general. Like Binner a couple weeks ago, Allen had a few good stops and played well.

But man, this team is amazing at limiting quality chances.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
One of the most boring Blues/Hawks games I've watched, this rivalry is no fun when the Hawks suck.

Yeah it’s better when both teams are good that’s true. But filling the UC with Let’s Go Blues chants is epic too.

A couple weeks ago I talked about how Binner's shutout against the Flames was the easiest 40 save shutout I'd seen at the NHL level. This 38 save shutout for Allen was the exact same thing. Shots from the outside, not a lot of 2nd chances, very few cross ice passes and just not many dangerous chances in general. Like Binner a couple weeks ago, Allen had a few good stops and played well.

But man, this team has gotten amazing at limiting quality chances.

I thought the exact same thing. Allen made 38 saves but really had to make like....6.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that both Binnington and Allen have identical .926 save percentages. Allen has adopted a lot of Binnington’s calm qualities in net and the team is just money in front of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brockon

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017

But man, this team is amazing at limiting quality chances.

Yeah it’s better when both teams are good that’s true. But filling the UC with Let’s Go Blues chants is epic too.

I thought the exact same thing. Allen made 38 saves but really had to make like....6.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that both Binnington and Allen have identical .926 save percentages. Allen has adopted a lot of Binnington’s calm qualities in net and the team is just money in front of them.
I mostly agree. However, Calgary had 3 or 4 posts and Chicago had 2 last night that should have been goals.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I mostly agree. However, Calgary had 3 or 4 posts and Chicago had 2 last night that should have been goals.
I don't subscribe to notion that posts shoulda been goals. Sometimes they hit post bc you have taken away anything else to shoot at.Charge is to stop pucks that would go in net. If puck isn't going in net don't need to stop it.

Reactions: Stealth JD

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
I don't subscribe to notion that posts shoulda been goals. Sometimes they hit post bc you have taken away anything else to shoot at.Charge is to stop pucks that would go in net. If puck isn't going in net don't need to stop it.
I agree for the most part. I remember when Binny first came in, teams were hitting a crazy amount of posts almost every game against him. Some people were calling him lucky but I see it as a result of very good positioning.

The difference between a confident shooter hitting the post or top corner could come down to how much net the goalie is giving him...even if that same corner is a goal regardless of the goalie’s positioning.

On the reverse side, Allen was always very “unlucky” with his bounces. When Allen was/is off, shooters are noticeably very confident.

Reactions: Blueston

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

I talked about Allen feeding off of Binnington’s confidence and moxy. I really believe he has. The rest of the team arguably did so last year. Allen is playing like a high level back-up. He’s doing exactly what I’d hoped he’d do:
Similar stats to last year after Binnington was called up.

THIS is why I went on record supporting keeping Allen as an overpaid back-up. It makes the team better to have both guys. It also means it will not be hard to find a line of suitors willing to take on his contract if the team move him in the off-season (which they probably will due to Cap issues).

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I don't disagree. There is no such thing as a completely easy NHL shutout and the vast majority of shutouts at all levels require the goalie to get lucky once or twice.

But that doesn't mean that there isn't a broad spectrum of difficulty from shutout to shutout. In the vast majority of 35+ shot shutouts, the goalie has to have one of his best games of the year and get lucky once or twice. Like I said, Binner and Allen both played well in their shutouts. But At the end of the year, those games aren't going to stick out as memorable performances for them unless you're just looking at the stat sheet.

Crossroad Blues

Apr 19, 2016
Seemed funnier in my head before I made it
upload_2019-12-3_15-36-25.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad