GDT: Defending Cup Champs St. Louis Blues vs. Ottawa Senators | 6:30 PM | Going for 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'm just happy there isn't a clear Cup hangover. 3-0-1 after 4 games, I'm not going to nitpick things that could improve.
And the first few games are always expected to be sloppy. I’m happy so far. We are, once again, showing the ability to come back in games when we’re down. Always a good sign.

On another note, O’Reilly has like 1,000 points already this year. Seriously amazes me every single day that we got him for Berglund, Sobotka and Thompson. I don’t even know what to say anymore.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And the first few games are always expected to be sloppy. I’m happy so far. We are, once again, showing the ability to come back in games when we’re down. Always a good sign.

On another note, O’Reilly has like 1,000 points already this year. Seriously amazes me every single day that we got him for Berglund, Sobotka and Thompson. I don’t even know what to say anymore.
Yeah, we have 2 lines that can bail us out on any given night. And Binnington has started strong. The concern was that we'd have a hangover and that Binnington was a 1-year wonder that got hot. So far, so good.

The O'Reilly trade will go down as one of our best.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Man, reading through this thread it certainly doesn't sound like the fanbase of the defending Champs who are one of the five remaining teams without a regulation loss.

They played an uninspired game against the NHL's worst team in a building that had less energy than I've seen for years in the NHL. Anyone who doesn't think that is a completely normal thing just flat out doesn't watch much hockey around the league. Both teams' backup goalies played poorly in their first starts of the year and ours played slightly less poorly than theirs by making a couple big stops and the save of the game. The team as a whole put in just enough effort to take 2 points from a bad team in mid October. It was absolutely ugly, but long term this is nothing negative to take away from this game.
When was Allen's last start? I can't even remember. Was it in February?

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
When was Allen's last start? I can't even remember. Was it in February?
April was his last start. I don't get the Faulk hate here. I expect him to take some time to adjust to a new team with a new system. So far I've actually been quite impressed with his ability to move the puck and create offense. He has had some mishaps defensively but I think those will go down more and more as the season progresses.

Hopefully a team gets desperate for a goalie this year so we can unload Allen and his salary on someone else. Ryan O'Reilly is already an all time great Blue, he's absolutely incredible.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Seriously amazes me every single day that we got him for Berglund, Sobotka and Thompson. I don’t even know what to say anymore.

I love the trade, but you have to include the fact that we also gave up a 1st and 2nd round pick in the trade.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
The Blues lost this game last year (on the road at Ottawa). It was embarrassing, and you could argue that it was the difference between winning the division and 3rd place. I'd like to think they decide to show up tonight, and I'd love for Allen to get the year started with a solid outing.

That arena is decrepit. And its true that its in the middle of nowhere 40 minutes out of town.
What did you like how was Allen 1st start?

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
What’s the opposite of a prophet? That’s what Dizee is regarding Blues goalies. I can’t help but juxtapose this quote in my head with the stuff you were saying when Elliott was here. It’s amazing you have the audacity to pipe up about Allen now at all. (Or would be amazing under different circumstances, like if you were almost any other poster.)

The Blues’ best player this season has been Binnington. The team needs to tighten up that defense if they expect the wins to continue. They’re giving up a lot better chances than they did last year during the good times. But Binnington has never had to play behind such a half-assed effort as last night. 2 points will do, but not a game to feel great about. Allen was sketchy too, but he does get credit for battling back after the 2 goal deficit, and snuffing out that 2 on 0. I’m sure Berube had some choice words for everyone.

I wish I had a gif of him saying, “Boy” and shaking his head after the...4th? Goal? That expression was priceless.

And how many people cried out that starting a rookie was various forms of dumb, insane, isn't done, isn't logical and there's no way we'd win a Cup with one?

Binny: Hold my beer.

Jake Allen needs to go. Period.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
This was such a quintessential Jake Allen game. If we had a Jake Allen Bingo card with all his tendencies, both good and bad, we would have filled the whole thing up. He had highlight reel saves, and he had some real blunders. Misplayed/judged a puck leading to an empty net goal...check. Failed to challenge a shooter leading to a goal...check. Shortside goal against...check. Jaw-dropping save to bail out the team when the D shit the bed...also check. He is such a head-scratching goalie.

Still, the common refrain entering this season stands. Despite this showing, yes, we are better off with him as our back-up for one more season than whatever goalie we could have gotten off the scrap heap. Keep in mind that despite all his inconsistencies, he has a career 60% point capture. That equates to a 98 point season. For your backup to win at a playoff caliber pace is perfectly acceptable. That point capture includes many stretches where he was playing too many games and getting the tougher match-ups. Giving him less games and picking his match-ups should only help that percentage. This may have been the quintessential Allen game in that it had all his common blunders, but he doesn't often make them all in one game. This was a really bad one for him, yet we still got the W. We can get even more Ws with him if he is utilized correctly.

This is coming from someone who does not like Allen and has been a naysayer of his from the jump.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
What did you like how was Allen 1st start?
Uneven. I didn’t like how he played the short-handed goal. I liked his intensity after falling behind 0-2, and making a couple highlight reel saves to keep hope alive. For his first start in ages, it was mediocre. He’ll need to be better than that to hold any trade value next year.

Reactions: JoshFromMO
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad