Defenceman in the later rounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
One out of Minnesota:

Clayton Stoner, guy has good size and good mobility. He was an overager it looks like in the 2004 draft, which is why he slipped to the later round. Don't let his team record fool you. The Ameriks aren't that great it seems and Stoner had some good points. I can see him moving the puck effectively in the NHL but he's a big guy that can lay some hits. He's more physical than offensive.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
DoobieDoobieDo said:
One out of Minnesota:

Clayton Stoner, guy has good size and good mobility. He was an overager it looks like in the 2004 draft, which is why he slipped to the later round. Don't let his team record fool you. The Ameriks aren't that great it seems and Stoner had some good points. I can see him moving the puck effectively in the NHL but he's a big guy that can lay some hits. He's more physical than offensive.

I like that name man! Stoner :yo: I hope he can make it to the NHL. Fans will love his name.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
A few names from the CHL: Marc-Andre Gragnani (PEI), Chad Denny (Lew), J-P Paquet (Sha), Oscars Bartulis (Mon), Adam McQuaid (Sud), Scott Jackson (Sea), Marc-Edouard Vlasic (Que), Jeff May (P.A.), Ray Macias (Kam), Dustin Kohn (Cgy), Kris Russell (M.H.)

katodelder

Apr 22, 2004
Jack Hillen:

http://www.stormhockey.com/Stories/Draft03.html

"...The Storm's first pick of the 2003 USHL draft, and fourth overall, was Academy of Holy Angels junior, Jack Hillen. "With guys like Brian Kilburg and Steve Wagner returning, we wanted some other defensemen to compliment them," Littler said. "He (Hillen) is a young, skilled defenseman that brings a high skill level to the ice." The 5-foot, 10-inch and 175-pound Hillen was a honorable mention All-State player in Minnesota in 2002-2003..."

Hillen was the only 1986-born player on USA's 2004 Viking Cup Team.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
katodelder said:
Jack Hillen:

http://www.stormhockey.com/Stories/Draft03.html

"...The Storm's first pick of the 2003 USHL draft, and fourth overall, was Academy of Holy Angels junior, Jack Hillen. "With guys like Brian Kilburg and Steve Wagner returning, we wanted some other defensemen to compliment them," Littler said. "He (Hillen) is a young, skilled defenseman that brings a high skill level to the ice." The 5-foot, 10-inch and 175-pound Hillen was a honorable mention All-State player in Minnesota in 2002-2003..."

Hillen was the only 1986-born player on USA's 2004 Viking Cup Team.

John Michael Liles? ;)

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
There is one d-man that, so far, everyone has overlooked. Gord Baldwin of the Medicine Hat Tigers. He is 6'5 and only 197lbs right now (needs to add more weight to his still growing frame) and is 17 and eligible for this year's draft.

This is his rookie year in the WHL: has 11 points and is an amazing +13. He got lots of ice time in the last half of the season and is easily our #4 or #5 d-man this year. He will be a top 3 d-man for the Tiger's next year.

I don't think he will be a goal scorer or a point getter but he will be a very useful #4 stay at home, clear the crease d-man in the NHL.

I really am impressed with this kid.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Peter said:
There is one d-man that, so far, everyone has overlooked. Gord Baldwin of the Medicine Hat Tigers. He is 6'5 and only 197lbs right now (needs to add more weight to his still growing frame) and is 17 and eligible for this year's draft.

This is his rookie year in the WHL: has 11 points and is an amazing +13. He got lots of ice time in the last half of the season and is easily our #4 or #5 d-man this year. He will be a top 3 d-man for the Tiger's next year.

I don't think he will be a goal scorer or a point getter but he will be a very useful #4 stay at home, clear the crease d-man in the NHL.

I really am impressed with this kid.
Baldwin is a late b-day (I'm saying this without double-checking but...) and is therefore a 2006 pick- and I agree, he's a pretty decent prospect.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
Don't think anyone listed Joe Finley from Sioux Falls. Love this kid. Just a monster on the blueline, 6-7, 229. He will hurt you...and then he'll beat you up. Worth an early 2nd rounder in my book.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
steblick said:
Baldwin is a late b-day (I'm saying this without double-checking but...) and is therefore a 2006 pick- and I agree, he's a pretty decent prospect.

According to the Medicine Hat Tiger's website Baldwin IS eligible for the 2005 draft. Now, they could be wrong.....

Sabes

Feb 27, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
steblick said:
According to the Tiger's own website and NHL's central scouting his birthdate is March 1st 1987

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Peter said:
According to the Medicine Hat Tiger's website Baldwin IS eligible for the 2005 draft. Now, they could be wrong.....

He's an '06. whl.ca has him as 10-20-87, so he misses the cutoff by a few weeks.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
montreal said:
He's an '06. whl.ca has him as 10-20-87, so he misses the cutoff by a few weeks.

Gord Baldwin's b-day is March 1, 1987 thus he is elligble for the 2005 draft. The NHL rules state that you have to be born before Sept. 15, 1987 to qualify.

CurtisJD13

Feb 9, 2005
MS said:
Jackson doesn't really have much of a mean streak at all. Big, boring, positionally sound, sort of a Chris Therien type. I don't think he has a lot of upside - probably a 4-5 guy in pro if he makes it. Rogers and Fistric had much more dynamic aspects to their games (Fistric's physical game, Rogers' skating at his size) which gave them more upside in the eyes of scouts and snuck them into the first round. Fistric has progressed really nicely, Rogers has not and looks like a pretty awful pick right now. I guess first round wouldn't be out of the question for Jackson, but I wouldn't think it too likely.

There are a lot of WHL defenders who will go in rounds 2-4. Sauer, Jackson, Zimmerman, Kohn, and Flatt have already been mentioned. Mark Louis, who's 6'4 and progressed into a key role with an excellent Brandon team will also go fairly early. Dan Mercer of Spokane has a lot of raw tools (nice size, mean streak, good skill level) and hasn't really put his game together, but could still go on the first day of the draft. Bretton Stamler of Seattle is rated quite highly by CSB (#50) and had a nice offensive finish to the season ... would probably have accomplished more on another WHL team but is trapped at #5 on the depth chart on an awesome Seattle blueline.

Franson moves really well for a big guy, and has a pretty nice outlet pass, but plays a very timid game. I don't really know what to think of him - some games he looks smart and solid, and well worth a 3rd-4th round pick, and other games his coverage just looks woefully soft and I wonder if he has any hope.

Holy crap, someone mentioned the Chiefs? Zimmerman IMO may be one of the more underrated players in the draft. Was the best defenseman on his team in his 16 year old season, and was again this year. Not the biggest guy ever, but at 6'2" 215, he's possibly the best defensive defenseman that won't go in the first 2 rounds.

Dan Mercer is an enigma, one night he'll score 4 points and be a +4, the next night he'll be a -3 with a ton of bad plays and penalties. If he can square his game together, he has the potential to be as good as I'd think even Weber or someone like that. He has a terrific personality, I think whoever drafts him may have a sleeper for sure.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Peter said:
Gord Baldwin's b-day is March 1, 1987 thus he is elligble for the 2005 draft. The NHL rules state that you have to be born before Sept. 15, 1987 to qualify.
I have him (on a roster list provided by MH management) as Oct. 20/87. Since I haven't seen his name on any ranking lists at all for 2005 and given the WHL page, I'm assuming that's correct. Don't know why there are discrepancies.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
steblick said:
I have him (on a roster list provided by MH management) as Oct. 20/87. Since I haven't seen his name on any ranking lists at all for 2005 and given the WHL page, I'm assuming that's correct. Don't know why there are discrepancies.

I will do some digging and report back - there are two different dates that's for sure.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
He's not overage. Overage is 20-21. Yeo is 18, and will still be 18 if the draft is held in June.

That said, I doubt anyone uses a pick on him.

CurtisJD13

Feb 9, 2005
Kris Russel, anyone?

Very small at 5'9" 148, but can you argue with...

72 GP
26 G
35 A
61 P
+ 29
37 PIMS

Martin St. Louis was the MVP last year...maybe the small player is the wave of the future?

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
CurtisJD13 said:
Kris Russel, anyone?

72 GP
26 G
35 A
61 P
+ 29
37 PIMS

Martin St. Louis was the MVP last year...maybe the small player is the wave of the future?

As I have said before, Russel is too small for an NHL d-man. No way you can compare him fairly to St. Louis. Now, that said, if an NHL team wants to gamble on him and convert him to forward...I think that would be the way to go. This kid is an offensive d-man who can skate and shoot. Sound like a great conversion project to me.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
CurtisJD13 said:
Kris Russel, anyone?

72 GP
26 G
35 A
61 P
+ 29
37 PIMS

Put it this way, do you think Martin St.Louis would be as effective as a defenseman? This guy is tiny!

espo*

CurtisJD13 said:
Kris Russel, anyone?

72 GP
26 G
35 A
61 P
+ 29
37 PIMS

Never heard of this kid before but i am sure pulling for him to make it after reading your physical description of the guy. Can you imagine a guy that size on defense making it in the nhl? He'd be like the nhl's doug flutie only way freakier.I'm officially on the guys fanclub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->