Defence prospect battle: Who will be the better pro?

Defence prospect battle: Who will be the better pro?

• Total voters

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
More talented than Bouchard? That seems a bit much
Not really. Merkley is absurdly talented. There's a reason for his Karlsson comparisons. He's obviously very high risk though. I'd choose Bouchard for that reason alone if I had to pick the most valuable. To suggest Merkley doesn't belong here is silly. He's easily among this group in terms of ability.

Reactions: Realgud

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Not really. Merkley is absurdly talented. There's a reason for his Karlsson comparisons. He's obviously very high risk though. I'd choose Bouchard for that reason alone if I had to pick the most valuable. To suggest Merkley doesn't belong here is silly. He's easily among this group in terms of ability.
So why/how exactly is he the biggest bust potential if hes the most skilled?

Those two are mutually exclusive most of the time

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
So why/how exactly is he the biggest bust potential if hes the most skilled?

Those two are mutually exclusive most of the time
Huh? Skill ≠ success. Many highly skilled players don't make it over lesser skilled players. He's a high risk, high reward guy.

Those two are never mutually exclusive.

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
Huh? Skill ≠ success. Many highly skilled players don't make it over lesser skilled players. He's a high risk, high reward guy.

Those two are never mutually exclusive.
You still havent explained why hes high risk

Players being called ‘high risk high reward’ in the draft is another term for they could maybe be as skilled as guys way ahead of them but its a crap shoot because they show glimmers of it

Unless the player has a noted problem with putting in effort or injuries - its just an excuse that people use to justify picks

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

Players being called ‘high risk high reward’ in the draft is another term for they could maybe be as skilled as guys way ahead of them but its a crap shoot because they show glimmers of it

Unless the player has a noted problem with putting in effort or injuries - its just an excuse that people use to justify picks
High risk because of noted attitude issues. There was a huge drama about him being traded to London this year. Nothing about his talent or skill is bad. He's had issues with maturity in the past, but seems to be improving.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com

It's well known that Merkley has attitude problems that could affect his level of success. His skillset was never in question and was always elite.

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
High risk because of noted attitude issues. There was a huge drama about him being traded to London this year. Nothing about his talent or skill is bad. He's had issues with maturity in the past, but seems to be improving.
Then fair enough - thats all I was asking for

I still think Bouchard’s size and skill trumps the rest but perhaps Merkley is more skilled

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Then fair enough - thats all I was asking for

I still think Bouchard’s size and skill trumps the rest but perhaps Merkley is more skilled
I think Bouchard is a better trade asset and possibly a better long term NHLer. I only took issue with you saying Merkley doesn't belong. He absolutely does. He has (imo) the highest ceiling, but also the highest bust factor.

Obviously YouTube highlights aren't a great way to judge a player, but check out some of highlights. He's a really fun player to watch. He can own the ice like Hughes or Makar. That's in junior, and not consistent enough though.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Bouchard. He’s coming off a really strong AHL season, elite hockey IQ + shot + passing ability.

Improved on his defensive play as the season went on.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
I am pretty high on what both Soderstrom and Bouchard bring to the table, but I prefer the Swede here.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think Soderstrom will be the best player here assuming Merkley doesn't get his shit sorted out. He's got the most potential by far out of these guys.

Honestly I think the best thing the Sharks could do is put Merkley in the NHL and get him around some good characters like Thornton, Karlsson, Burns and Couture to let them get his head on straight.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Soderstrom

Valimaki

Merkley

Bouchard (would be better as a winger IMO, the guy can't defend and a pretty bad skater)

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Hilariously bad take on Bouchard.
It was just a joke.... In all seriousness I'd probably rank him 2nd after Soderstrom. I think he's potentially got some John Carlson upside if he can continue to develop properly and improve his skating.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
It was just a joke.... In all seriousness I'd probably rank him 2nd after Soderstrom. I think he's potentially got some John Carlson upside if he can continue to develop properly and improve his skating.

His skatings always been overblown plus he’s improved a ton on it this year.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Bouchard. He ripped up the OHL like no other and then had a fantastic pro rookie season in the AHL. Accurate shot, size, elite offensive instincts, elite passing with a 103 MPH slapshot he’ll be a really good NHL dman even if he needs to work on skating

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad