Line Combos: Defence (minus Cowen/Gonchar)

Emery

Jul 18, 2011
Ottawa
Let's say a CBA agreement is magically reached. The season starts in approximately 2 weeks. Cowen is out for the season, so there's a huge blow. Gonchar is really enjoying his time in the KHL, and refuses to return.

What would that leave our defence as? Methot-Karlsson is a forsure pairing, but who do we have after that? Phillips is one guy we still have, as is Lundin. Who do we call up? Wiercioch and Benoit? Do we make a trade for some help?

Methot-Karlsson
Phillips-Wiercioch
Lundin-Benoit

? Would like to hear your opinions. :cheers:

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Either help is brought in externally or we get a damn good prospect. With all due respect to these players, that'd be the worst group 2 through 6 in the league by far.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
Karlsson-
crap.jpg

JonnyMacSen

2nd round Chlapik!
Nov 4, 2009
Ottawa, ON
I'm pretty sure Gonchar has gone on record saying that he will come back and honor his contract with the Sens whenever the lockout ends.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Inquire about Bouwmeester. Propose a package consisting of futures like DaCosta and Boroweicki.. If Calgary wants more established NHL talent, they send someone else back with JayBo.

Cap space isn't a problem for us. He has just 1.5 years left on his megadeal as well, so term isn't an issue either.

He would be a fit within Coach MacLean's skating-oriented system, and wouldn't be the number one guy, either. Less pressure on a player with mental fortitude issues, allowing him to relax and play his game while Karlsson does a lot of the heavy lifting.

My two cents.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I'm pretty sure Gonchar has gone on record saying that he will come back and honor his contract with the Sens whenever the lockout ends.

Its really funny that anyone believe's he's not going to come back.

Edit: also I think it would be so wrong to tank in Alfie's final year(s)

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
I think you're being overly pessimistic just because a #5 defenseman from last year is currently injured. We lost Kuba, we got Methot. Decent trade off at the very least.

Gonchar said he was enjoying it in the KHL and was tired of the posturing between both sides. He DID NOT in anyway say he was insisting on staying in the KHL and not honoring his deal.

Besides its funny, who would have guessed Ottawa would be begging Gonch to come back in the final year of his deal.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
I'm sick and tired of people saying tank as an option. Do you seriously think the organization is considering that as a gameplan? If it turns out we suck enough to get a top 5 pick, then so be it, but I highly doubt we will be that bad

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
I've asked this before, and i'm not sure I ever really got a clear answer.

If Benoit goes up, won't he have to go through waivers, same if they ever send him back down? Is it really worth losing such a valuable asset to the B-Sens development, when players like Boro and Wiercioch, hell even Gryba, seem like they are ready for the step?

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I've asked this before, and i'm not sure I ever really got a clear answer.

If Benoit goes up, won't he have to go through waivers, same if they ever send him back down? Is it really worth losing such a valuable asset to the B-Sens development, when players like Boro and Wiercioch, hell even Gryba, seem like they are ready for the step?

Two things - I think all players start off as property of the big club, so for him to get back to Bingo after camp he'll have to go through waivers anyway (like Hale a couple years ago). But a team picking him up would have to keep him in the NHL or we'd take him right back.

And two - I think both sides want to get rid of re-entry waivers in the new CBA (probably the only thing they agree on), so it will only be the one way.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
staal-karlsson
methot-wier
phillips-boro

then next year

edler-karlsson
staal-wier
methot-phillips
boro

i don't see how this isn't so obvious to everyone cereally

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Methot - Karlsson
Phillips - Lundin
Boroweicki - Gryba/Wiercioch

IMO these top 4 are already on the team & Boroweicki is next in Line. Benoit would have to be in the top 4 because he is too small & soft to play a defensive style required on the bottom pairing. Gryba has the size & is good enough defensively for the bottom pairing with controlled minutes & he has paid his dues. He is also a right shot which Ottawa needs to play the right side.

Wiercioch should be the first callup to play the left side, he has the size & skill to play an offensive or defensive position, although I assume they will want his offence. Eckford is another guy who could get called up, he is having a decent season for Bingo & has experience. Benoit would get called up, if Karlsson gets hurt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad