Defected Players

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
As you are probably aware, defect players are hurting the league. It's getting old now (this is coming from a Knights fan). Stranges should never have fallen past the top 5 (ended up in 2nd round). Wanted to open up a thread and hear your thoughts on possible ways around it. I've put some thought into it and it does have some loopholes. If you guys have any ideas of your own or want to adjust mine, please do.

My idea is to have all players that wish to be entered into the OHL draft sign an agreement to report to the team that chooses them. If they do not report to the team that selects them, they lose their NCAA eligibility . Now I'll discuss a few issues with this (and possible solutions).

1. This will lower the overall talent level of the league. BUT, teams will be on even playing fields when it comes to drafting and getting players to come there, meaning teams like Peterborough, Sudbury, etc will have the same list of players that will report as the Knights, Spitfires. But when players are reporting to where they are drafted, teams should be more even and the only things that would make 1 spot more attractive than others are location and money. Over time, teams would prove to be better at scouting/drafting/developing than others which should also be taken into consideration

2. The bigger issue, a loophole. Players don't enter draft, go to Jr. A, USDP, USHL, CCHL, etc. for 1 season and sign with whoever they want after that. But for a player to attend a camp and sign as an FA, they must be PASSED UP in 2 drafts. Therefore, if they did not sign the agreement to be entered in the draft, they were not passed up. They weren't eligible.

3. Getting the NCAA to agree with it. Not sure how they would feel. They would get some extra talent that wouldn't report to a Peterborough or a Sudbury.

Feel free to criticize, comment, adjust, or give a new option to this or correct me if I'm wrong about something.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
As you are probably aware, defect players are hurting the league. It's getting old now (this is coming from a Knights fan). Stranges should never have fallen past the top 5 (ended up in 2nd round). Wanted to open up a thread and hear your thoughts on possible ways around it. I've put some thought into it and it does have some loopholes. If you guys have any ideas of your own or want to adjust mine, please do.

My idea is to have all players that wish to be entered into the OHL draft sign an agreement to report to the team that chooses them. If they do not report to the team that selects them, they lose their NCAA eligibility . Now I'll discuss a few issues with this (and possible solutions).

1. This will lower the overall talent level of the league. BUT, teams will be on even playing fields when it comes to drafting and getting players to come there, meaning teams like Peterborough, Sudbury, etc will have the same list of players that will report as the Knights, Spitfires. But when players are reporting to where they are drafted, teams should be more even and the only things that would make 1 spot more attractive than others are location and money. Over time, teams would prove to be better at scouting/drafting/developing than others which should also be taken into consideration

2. The bigger issue, a loophole. Players don't enter draft, go to Jr. A, USDP, USHL, CCHL, etc. for 1 season and sign with whoever they want after that. But for a player to attend a camp and sign as an FA, they must be PASSED UP in 2 drafts. Therefore, if they did not sign the agreement to be entered in the draft, they were not passed up. They weren't eligible.

3. Getting the NCAA to agree with it. Not sure how they would feel. They would get some extra talent that wouldn't report to a Peterborough or a Sudbury.

Feel free to criticize, comment, adjust, or give a new option to this or correct me if I'm wrong about something.

You're not sure how the NCAA would feel about that...?

Them agreeing to a rule that would force kids to go to the OHL if they signed a sheet of paper and not them ever (you're saying that means NCAA eligibility gone) would make absolutely no sense for them. These leagues are direct rivals, anything that helps the CHL, hurts the NCAA.

At the end of the day, the OHL is the best because it's the top talent in the country for junior hockey. The second that stops happening, the league is no longer appealing.

It sucks for the teams who have bad management, but that's life. You think Ottawa in the NHL has the same chance at getting a free agent as Tampa does, even if the same money is offered? No chance. One has great management and one is in shambles. Build an organization that kids/agents want to be a part of and reap the rewards

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
You're not sure how the NCAA would feel about that...?

Them agreeing to a rule that would force kids to go to the OHL if they signed a sheet of paper and not them ever (you're saying that means NCAA eligibility gone) would make absolutely no sense for them. These leagues are direct rivals, anything that helps the CHL, hurts the NCAA.

At the end of the day, the OHL is the best because it's the top talent in the country for junior hockey. The second that stops happening, the league is no longer appealing

Signing it would mean reporting to camp. If you don't make the team, NCAA is still open as long as you haven't played any games. And a lot of these guys would chose the NCAA over the chance of being picked by Peterborough. Like I said though, just throwing an idea out

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
The current system is fine. Teams just need to be better managed or be more bold. Look at Peterborough. They knew Cuylle wasn't coming but they took their shot to try and convince him to sign. He didn't but they still get a huge reward for it. If I'm a Petes fan I'd rather get 4 2nds + 3 3rds plus the 5th overall pick in 2019 than the team take a lesser prospect they knew would sign.

Reactions: Otto and zman77

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Petes won here, imo; but next draft, they will have to pick the best two that will report because the defect rule cannot be used in successive drafts.

rolf smitty

May 20, 2013

Stranges signed with the USNTDP, and should be forced to honour that commitment or not play until the 2 years of his contract expires.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Stranges signed with the USNTDP, and should be forced to honour that commitment or not play until the 2 years of his contract expires.

Other players have been able to buy their way out of the USNTDP. Though Stranges, as far as I know, did not spend a minute in the program. So, he really was not very committed.

Reactions: TheCoach

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
The fact that such documents ( letters of intent etc. ) are signed by persons under the age of majority ( minors ) pretty much makes them of no legal consequence. I highly doubt that any agreement to report to any team that drafts you could be enforced. At best, the agreement would be like a "gentlemen's agreement" but with little, if any, teeth.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
The fact that such documents ( letters of intent etc. ) are signed by persons under the age of majority ( minors ) pretty much makes them of no legal consequence. I highly doubt that any agreement to report to any team that drafts you could be enforced. At best, the agreement would be like a "gentlemen's agreement" but with little, if any, teeth.
as a minor wouldnt the contract need to be co-signed by his parents or legal guardian?
I tend to think these agreements is just a form of enslavement. Imagine a company forcing this upon a worker??
I also would get rid of the compensatory 1st Rd pick the next season. It just penalizes the teams behind that pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: aresknights

bear6

Feb 20, 2015
IMO I think teams that draft players that don't want to report, they should let them sit at home for a year then see if they change their mind,about playing for sale team. If a couple ofteams start doing this then it might change the perspective of kids not reporting.

rolf smitty

May 20, 2013
Other players have been able to buy their way out of the USNTDP. Though Stranges, as far as I know, did not spend a minute in the program. So, he really was not very committed.
the signing of a contact is a commitment ; but , in this case was more like a tactic perpetrated by London to manipulate the draft. It's like playing golf with someone who submits an incorrect score card(notice I didn't say cheat?) (won't matter, I'll get suspended anyway). How do you take them seriously?

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Prepetuated by London ???? Going back in history, I believe one Eric Lindros was the first noteable player who refused to report, and prior to that situation, I can't recall any previous players who used this tactic.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Prepetuated by London ???? Going back in history, I believe one Eric Lindros was the first noteable player who refused to report, and prior to that situation, I can't recall any previous players who used this tactic.
and..........................................where was Lindros born?...London!!!!
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

:):):):):)

member 71782

Any rule changes that appear to limit a player's option would be bad for the league as a whole. The goal is to improve the level of talent not deter it. Once you start to deter it the the entire league pays a price.

There are two areas that can be changed/improved when dealing with this issue, compensation and recruiting.

Compensation

I don't think it should be on the league to compensate a team for a defected player who will report to another team. Eliminate the double dipping.

If a player has absolutely no interest in the league then a team can declare that player defected, allow them from the start of training camp right up until the trade deadline to try to deal the player. If there is no deal to be hade then relinquish his rights and be eligible for compensation from the league the way it currently stands, a first round pick one spot after the pick was made no higher than the fifth pick plus a second round pick at the end of the second round if it was a top four pick.

If a deal is made then the acquiring team must include a first round pick in one of the next two drafts plus whatever other compensation the teams work out, including allowing for players to be included in these deals as well.

Recruitment

It is up to teams to improve their recruitment but the CHL and the three member leagues need to work together as well.

Yearly annual meetings between the top agencies and representatives from all teams to work on general issues collectively to see where expectations are moving towards.

Other annual meetings with other interested parties to improve the overall direction of the league and benefits to assist the players.

The three leagues plus representatives need to get out and interact with the various players/feeder leagues and hold information sessions, development camps etc before their draft year. Introduce these kids to the league in a more face to face way, league sponsored hockey camps/summer leagues etc. Make sure events don't compromise a player's NCAA eligibility but also make sure the benefits of the league are clearly highlighted.

It's not just about each team making themselves desirable but the entire CHL being more desirable.

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
Jeff Greenlaw refused to report to North Bay after the 84 draft, he ended up playing for the he Canadian National team after Bert played hardball....

Last edited:

GEO1050101

Sep 28, 2017
Easy if you don't report to the team that drafts you can't play in the CHL. EVER.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Ya, because that's good for the CHL.....

Eh, I'm not sure the current system is working either. The league is very top-heavy, and I don't really see that changing under the current rules.

Market sizes are an issue, too. There is virtually no system that I can think up where London is on the same playing field as Sudbury/NB etc. I won't deny that London (Hunter's) have gotten to where they are through mostly hard work and doing things that no other clubs are willing/able to do, but you must also admit that geography plays a huge role.

If this league is going to stay at 20 teams - which for me isn't a given - I think something must be done to even the playing field a bit.

Defected players are just a part of a much larger problem, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->