Deep group of prospects making impact at pro level for Dallas Stars

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

With excellent scouting and drafting, the Stars have had a lot of inexperienced pros force their way into the Texas Stars lineup in recent years. With an experienced coach leading the charge, the Stars have been rather successful despite the youth.

Supplementing weak spots on the organizational depth chart with key AHL signings, the Stars are halfway through another quality season. They generate a lot of offense (the most in the AHL) and not a lot of it comes from the backline either. The Stars, impressively, feature three of the top four scorers in the circuit. There is lots of ice time to be had for the organization’s depth on the wings and blue line and they are not disappointing.… read more

More...

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Man ... I look forward to everyone of these articles. Who knows, but if Campbell can get healthy this season, the Texas Stars just might be unstoppable.

I like the addition of Meech. He really seems to already be clicking with Oleksiak and Texas' ridiculous PP. I think he'll really help that group of defenders, and god I just hope Nemeth recovers from the broken foot ASAP. Assuming he and Campbell come back ... man .. that will be a team with heavy expectations.

Since Jokipakka has looked so good with Fortunus, and Oleksiak and Meech are doing well ... I guess than would make the final pair a pretty sturdy Nemeth and Gaunce. Although, I really like what William Wrenn brings as well.

Of course, I think we all expect Klingberg to come over as soon as the SHL season is over. Last year his team went all the way, and he was still able to join them in the playoffs so hopefully he can go on a long run with Texas. He and Nemeth could be obvious partners that have a huge impact.

My ONE complaint ... to characterize Glennie's qualifying offer as expensive (and make it seem like it'd be cost prohibitive to keep him) is pretty silly. Yes his QO for NHL salary would be a bit over $850K, but he's only paid $67,500 in the AHL level. That's all he'd get from the QO offer since there is no provision paying a higher AHL salary.

Most players don't take their QO, negotiate a higher AHL salary, and gladly accept a much lower NHL salary knowing that increases their odds of making the NHL club. There are countless examples of this occurring. A very recent one is Colton Sceviour. His QO after the ELC should have been $660K and just $65 in the AHL. Instead he took NHL minimum salary plus a bump in AHL salary. In the next two seasons, rather than just taking the higher QO NHL salary, he also took less NHL money for more in the AHL.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
:laugh: Thanks for reading, as always, BigG44...what did I call it, "hearty" or whatever...? Where's that smiley that says "so sue me" ;)

Always appreciate the feedback, no matter what, of course...

Ya know, now that these guys are really funneling their way up the pro ladder, it's really great to see the potential realized...I remember when I took on the Dallas beat, I think my first order of business was dumping Nico Sacchetti from the #4 spot and talking about Raymond Sawada two-way potential...what a long way this group has come, it's been - and continues to be - a great privilege to see this progression and evolution...

LoneStarHockey

Sep 19, 2011
Texas
Great article, I also look forward to each one. It is great to see the Stars' prospects beginning to climb up the ladder, definitely excited for the future.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Great article Mike. Like G I agree with pretty much everything.

Watching Texas this season has been incredibly exciting and the prospects are a huge part of that.

It's also exciting to think that they may get even better next season with more junior prospects graduating to the pros.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
:laugh: Thanks for reading, as always, BigG44...what did I call it, "hearty" or whatever...? Where's that smiley that says "so sue me" ;)

Always appreciate the feedback, no matter what, of course...

Ya know, now that these guys are really funneling their way up the pro ladder, it's really great to see the potential realized...I remember when I took on the Dallas beat, I think my first order of business was dumping Nico Sacchetti from the #4 spot and talking about Raymond Sawada two-way potential...what a long way this group has come, it's been - and continues to be - a great privilege to see this progression and evolution...

... and man am I glad we've had you that long. You seem to have come on right around the time Dallas started to take drafting seriously. It's been nice to see how your opinions evolved to where Dallas is now.

As far as Glennie goes ... the dude gets some deserved hate around these parts, but I really think he's turning his game around to where he could have a decent NHL career even if it is only as a Bottom 6 NHLer. Basically, I think he could salvage his career like Eric Nystrom has. Some people though are looking to dump him first chance, and they might have mistaken that comment about his true cost. As far as your evaluation of him and every other player honestly I loved it like always. I just have faith that Glennie is going to get somewhere between $65K and $95K in the AHL and $550K and let's say south of $700K in the NHL (if I'm really being honest my guess is $600K or less) assuming it's a one year deal. With his long injury history, I can't see Nill doing a deal similar to Benn or Connauton's 3 year (Gamble they will be a NHLer) contract.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Just out of curiosity ... have you had many viewings of David Rundblad? In your opinion would he be a smart target for Dallas?

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
Perhaps, but that was more because he is a Pens fan and no doubt gets to see Despres play more than any of us here.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Sorry, late reply...

- Always appreciate feedback of any sort. It's not one person broadcasting that makes people more knowledgeable, it's the exchange of ideas that does.

- I'm also really happy to have seen this evolution in this prospect pool. I've learned a lot along the way.

- I have notes on Rundblad but I fear they may be out-dated, but he's on my "overdue for an update" list, so to speak, so I'll do some film work on him again and see how he's progressing and report back results. My initial instinct is that I'd be a little uneasy investing asset(s) in a player that I may already have...it's difficult with players like Rundblad because it really falls on each individual scouting staff's viewpoint of him (including Phoenix's) to determine how valuable he really is...similarly, what's the internal view of Connauton, Bystrom, Lindell, Button, etc. Lots of factors.

- Simon Despres is really a terrific player. I pegged him as a potential #2 a few years ago, I have not wavered in that and he has not given me a reason. He has this swagger to him too, he plays it both ways, he's really an excellent player. If I was Ray Shero, I would not be entertaining offers for him. I can't think of a reasonable deal that makes sense for you guys and for Pittsburgh. Because our blueline is so deep, it's hard for him to see the light of day, but he's definitely a player...I'd hate to see him go.

We could really use either a first line right wing, or more likely, a third line left wing...generally at the deadline, I'm a fan of top filling a team because I think you push better players down through your lineup to "stack" a team as oppose to filling it up with some spare parts and piecing it together that way...not to say that it can't work the other way and market values will dictate...

Unrelated...in thinking about BigG44's response, of which, I typed a longer, more well-thought response, but while I was typing, I had an idea..."I'll just ask him myself." So, I've gotten the wheels in motion to get an interview with Scott Glennie...no promises...but if you have any specific questions, feel free to drop me a line or post here and I'll see if I can make it happen...if not, I'll be administering that MIB memory eraser thing...not so much for this little exchange, but for the first hour of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft...

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
That would be super swell, Mike.

Would there be a PC way of asking what he thinks of his inconveniently timed injuries? If he's doing anything to work on that... Mainly just want to gauge where he thinks he is and if he's trying hard to get a cup of tea in the bigs.

Because honestly, I think he deserves one, but his injures have been making it hard for us to really get a grasp on how well he's been progressing since 2009.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
1) What's more difficult to overcome as a young Top 10 NHL draft pick, the constant injuries, especially early in the season, or the negative attention from media and fans he's received at times?

2) Why has he clicked so well with Desjardins? Is Willie teaching him new concepts that have just clicked for him or has it mainly been Willie's tough love that helped him most over the past two seasons?

3) Does he prefer wing or center? Right or left?

4) Steve Ott spent some time with him after Dallas drafted him. Is there a current Texas or Dallas Star veteran that he considers a mentor or who has gone above and beyond to help him?

5) What has been more difficult as a professional, adjusting to the speed of the game or his transition from a scorer with the Wheat Kings to a more two-way, solid defensive forward in the pro ranks?

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
4) Steve Ott spent some time with him after Dallas drafted him. Is there a current Texas or Dallas Star veteran that he considers a mentor or who has gone above and beyond to help him?
Thought that was Lehtinen?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Thought that was Lehtinen?

I remember on two different occasions Ott and Glennie spent time working out together in the summer. Glennie has actually tried all sorts of summer programs.

He attempted Gary Roberts program but had issues with the wrist, spent time with Ott, worked out with Severyn, and he also attended that Swedish team's training camp this summer with Ritchie.

He's really been trying hard lately to find something that will work for him.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I'd like to know if his attitude has changed since being drafted. I've heard things about him maturing as a person here and there and was wondering if there was ever anything to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad