Trade: Dee Ford to the 49ers for a 2020 2nd; signs 5/87.5M extension

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I don't understand what Chiefs are doing

They released Houston (9 sacks) and now are trading Ford (13 sacks)

How is this going to improve D?
There’s still an entire draft and several free agents available. We have a 1 and 2 2s.

Those two were good pass rushers but pretty one dimensional, especially Ford.

Not to mention that last year was Ford’s only year as a top threat, and has a decently long list of injuries.

We’ve added Mathieu and likely will be adding a CB via FA/trade very soon. Desperately need to rebuild the backfield, and I’m (as well as Veach, obviously) willing to sacrifice some pass rush to get better in coverage.

I’m completely down with absolutely tearing down this defense outside of Chris Jones (who was probably the biggest part of our pass rush).

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Seems like a fair deal for both teams. Chiefs probably wanted this year's 2nd but 49er's insisted on next year's knowing they'll have a lot better record this coming season.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
49ers already got Buckner and Armstead on the line and are about to draft Bosa or Allen. Ford is going to get a ton of sacks since the oline can't double everyone.
As long as he stays healthy, I’m sure he’ll rack up some sacks for ya’ll. He was great last year.

I’d just be wary of giving a guy ~16M per when he’s had one season of high end production. Also, I question how he fits in a 4-3, him playing linebacker in it would be a disaster.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Ford had no future here but seems like he’ll fit what the Niners are doing and he should have several more productive years left. Was originally like “why not a 2019 pick” but we already have an extra 2nd this year and this will now keep us flexible into the 2020 draft as well.

Waiting to see what Veach has planned. We have lots of draft capital and have opened up cap space. It’s easy for the casual fan to go a little nuts now saying “you had a crap defense last year and you lost Houston, Ford, Nelson already!” But there’s definitely a plan in motion here. With Houston and Ford it’s kind of the Patriots thing...let them go a year too early (possibly) rather than sink your flexibility. Jones was by far the dominant player on the d-line not those two even though they are bigger names. Nelson got burned so many times I can’t even count, good luck Pittsburgh. Mathieu is a great piece, just need to add some more aggressive pieces for the 4-3. Draft up some talent with 3 picks in the first two rounds as well. Eager to see what comes together. When Spags was hired you knew a major gut of the personnel was coming.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
The one positive of the Chiefs defense last year was getting to the QB. The defense took some big hits in free agency. By losing these players despite bringing in Mathieu an argument can be made that they got worse.

Reactions: mymerlincat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad