Deck the Holls

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I think it'll be tough. Marincin has usually looked good when he's been called upon, he was far superior when both were in the AHL last year, and has far more NHL experience. Plus he's capable of doing a lot more than Holl has ever shown. I think Marincin is in line for the majority of opportunities.
Yeah, I don't think the opportunity will be there for him unless we have some serious injuries. Next year doesn't look so hot either with Rosen, Liljegren and Sandin knocking on the door too.

Reactions: smitty10

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Sandin is better already and so is Lilly.Just saying. I think maybe some players won't be called ip for expansion draft reasons???

I really have to go check all the expansion draft criteria and get that sorted in my head as to who is safe and what not.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
He was terrible last night, but who's surprised? It's Christmas and it was his 2nd game of the season.

I agree with you. I'm hoping that Marincin and/or Holl get some ice team during the regular season. Injuries are going to happen and it's really difficult for a player to be up to NHL speed if he's been sitting for weeks or months. We saw what happened two playoffs ago when Polak was hurt and Marincin was inserted in a I believe was only his second game in three months.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I feel for Holl.. he's getting Leivo syndrome. It's hard to jump into a game at peak form mid-year.
He's getting this treatment because is isn't an NHL calibre player. Holl has likely peaked in terms of development, so keeping him in the press box and available in case of a short term injury is ideal. I don't think there are any expectations for him other than being able to fill in for a game here and there. He was never going to be a part of this roster.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I like Holl but that was a disastrous performance.

So bad that it might be his last game as a leaf.

And really, that goatee is shameful and I would cut him just for that.

Reactions: Polaris1010

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
He's getting this treatment because is isn't an NHL calibre player. Holl has likely peaked in terms of development, so keeping him in the press box and available in case of a short term injury is ideal. I don't think there are any expectations for him other than being able to fill in for a game here and there. He was never going to be a part of this roster.

I disagree, a lot of people have been pretty high on Justin Holl at taking the next step. He's a big defenseman who can skate and was a huge part of the Marlies calder cup run.

At the end of the day, you're not going to get better by sitting in the press box. I'm not saying he's a top 4 guy, but keeping any player in the press box or not playing in the NHL does no good. See Nylander

RLF

May 5, 2014
Had a rough night. He is better than what we just saw. That said, the thing I noticed even when with the Marlies is that he plays with No urgency. He can get away with that a little more in the minors, but can't in the bigs. He needs to move the puck, his body, everything at a quicker pace. Everything he does looks like he is only going at 75%.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
I think maybe some players won't be called up for expansion draft reasons???

"Only players with more than two years of professional experience — NHL or AHL as defined in the collective bargaining agreement — were included in the draft."

From Wikipedia on the Vegas expansion draft. Seattle starts in 2021, meaning the draft will take place when Sandin and Liljegren will have played 3 season.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
He was terrible last night, but who's surprised? It's Christmas and it was his 2nd game of the season.

Exactly. Same people that give Nylander every excuse in the book to get back up to speed jump all over a guy that basically has less than 30 mins of ice time this year.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I disagree, a lot of people have been pretty high on Justin Holl at taking the next step. He's a big defenseman who can skate and was a huge part of the Marlies calder cup run.

At the end of the day, you're not going to get better by sitting in the press box. I'm not saying he's a top 4 guy, but keeping any player in the press box or not playing in the NHL does no good. See Nylander
He's 26 and has played 4 NHL games. I feel that if he was going to be an NHL player and the team saw potential in him that he'd play above Marincin and be inserted into the lineup every once in a while. He's a tweener.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
"Only players with more than two years of professional experience — NHL or AHL as defined in the collective bargaining agreement — were included in the draft."

From Wikipedia on the Vegas expansion draft. Seattle starts in 2021, meaning the draft will take place when Sandin and Liljegren will have played 3 season.
AHL under 20 seasons slide so they will be exempt.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
When you're in his position you've got to be ready to go. Your next chance might be your last chance. Ever.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
it's unfortunate that last nights game likely means a longer stretch in the press box and then a move elsewhere for a refresh

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Babs ruined Carrardos career this way. Almost did it to Leivo too. These guys need to play occasionally, otherwise this is gonna a happen.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I sincerely wish every player to put on a Leafs' sweater excels but that's not the reality of the cruel world of professional sports. Some players hit their ceiling.

I did think him failing to look like an NHLer would be more subtle like how Keith Aulie, Staffan Kronwall, Andy Wozniewski, Mark Fraser, etc. kinda took longer auditions to show they didn't quite have it.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
He was absymal tonight
Gotta give this Yankee a chance to show his skill
We don't need to trade this American for someone who will fight
NCAA background so no need for him to take a smart pill
Low salary so from the cap his pay does not take a bite.

Justin Holl Position: D • Shoots: Right 6-4, 205lb (193cm, 92kg) Team: Toronto Maple Leafs Born: January 30, 1992 (Age: 26-328d)in Tonka Bay, Minnesota us Draft: Chicago, 2nd round (54th overall), 2010 NHL Entry Amateur Teams: Minnesota Current salary: $650,000 Current cap hit: $675,000 Pronunciation: \JUHS-tihn HOHL\
Justin Holl Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad