Decentralized NHL draft? Could start in 2025

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Ruins the fun out of the draft and fans if they do it that way. Stop copying what other leagues do.

The in-arena fans are pretty peripheral to the whole process. The argument in favour would be this would be more interesting for the TV-watching fans.

I guess my thought would be how useful is it to get all 32 teams in the same city at the same time in terms of making deals.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Ruins the fun out of the draft and fans if they do it that way. Stop copying what other leagues do.
As I live in Las Vegas, I was interested to see how the NFL draft integrated/impacted the city (post pandemic). There were tens of thousands of fans at the stage watching the draft. (Grouped by team).

And lots of other opportunities of fan interaction.

(I know that there is a NHL fan club convention annually. This could be included with the draft.)

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
As I live in Las Vegas, I was interested to see how the NFL draft integrated/impacted the city (post pandemic). There were tens of thousands of fans at the stage watching the draft. (Grouped by team).

And lots of other opportunities of fan interaction.

(I know that there is a NHL fan club convention annually. This could be included with the draft.)

“Trying to nail down venue” sounds like they are trying to have it at MSG Sphere lol

Reactions: DaveG

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The in-arena fans are pretty peripheral to the whole process. The argument in favour would be this would be more interesting for the TV-watching fans.

I guess my thought would be how useful is it to get all 32 teams in the same city at the same time in terms of making deals.

My gut instinct is 32 teams in their home offices could discuss deals much easier and quicker than 32 teams on the road at the draft with 32 different tables of team personnel spread across the draft floor.

Reactions: DaveG

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
My gut instinct is 32 teams in their home offices could discuss deals much easier and quicker than 32 teams on the road at the draft with 32 different tables of team personnel spread across the draft floor.
Hopefully, it would speed up round 1, since we aren't waiting for the 10 person contingent from most teams to make their way up to the podium. Not like each team doesn't have the contact info of the other GMs.

Reactions: S E P H

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Hopefully, it would speed up round 1, since we aren't waiting for the 10 person contingent from most teams to make their way up to the podium. Not like each team doesn't have the contact info of the other GMs.
don't count on it, we'd just get more (or longer) commercial breaks if the NFL draft is any indication in that regard.

Reactions: tlk

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA

Not to mention all of the five minute empty platitude speeches: hello to our fans at our draft party at X Bar, congratulations to Cup winner, and thank you to X city for hosting.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
don't count on it, we'd just get more (or longer) commercial breaks if the NFL draft is any indication in that regard.

IMG_20170623_181127.jpg

At the 2017 Draft I was seated behind the NBCSN crew. Later in the first round, somebody in my row started screaming at whichever team was on the clock to hurry up. I couldn't help but point out "Dude, they're at commercial break" since we could see their feed.

Probably because of the NFL, fans misinterpret the clock at the NHL Draft. Most teams don't need the full three minutes to make their pick. They're just waiting for the green light from the TV production people.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Not to mention all of the five minute empty platitude speeches: hello to our fans at our draft party at X Bar, congratulations to Cup winner, and thank you to X city for hosting.

The logical thing here would be for the league to both limit contingents going on stage (max 5 or whatever), and ask them to get to the point and avoid the empty platitudes, which don't contribute anything.

That said, I do like having individual teams go up and announce picks. The NFL and NBA system of having the commissioner do it feels so empty, and I really hope that isn't what is coming here.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The logical thing here would be for the league to both limit contingents going on stage (max 5 or whatever), and ask them to get to the point and avoid the empty platitudes, which don't contribute anything.

That said, I do like having individual teams go up and announce picks. The NFL and NBA system of having the commissioner do it feels so empty, and I really hope that isn't what is coming here.
Get the name of the player correct. Nhl has had their fair share of blunders at the microphone. Commissioners get the name and check confirmation on how to pronounce them or at least they would practice the likely 40 or so first rounders that could get taken. Especially the more difficult to say names.
Goddell has had to say some African names which can be a bit tricky to say.
Silver has his share of European names as well.

Teams just need a figurehead person. All scouts and management should be in their war room.

But let’s get the name correct. You have 1 job at the microphone and it’s not acknowledging your draft party, thanking the hosts or congratulating the cup champs.

Reactions: MarkMM

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
Get the name of the player correct. Nhl has had their fair share of blunders at the microphone. Commissioners get the name and check confirmation on how to pronounce them or at least they would practice the likely 40 or so first rounders that could get taken. Especially the more difficult to say names.
Goddell has had to say some African names which can be a bit tricky to say.
Silver has his share of European names as well.

Teams just need a figurehead person. All scouts and management should be in their war room.

But let’s get the name correct. You have 1 job at the microphone and it’s not acknowledging your draft party, thanking the hosts or congratulating the cup champs.

I’m suddenly having flashbacks to Marshawn Lynch and the Seattle expansion draft…

• Haha
Reactions: Roadrage

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

If the teams would just make the picks, fine, but as-is it’s unbearable. 30 seconds of useless platitudes; No one cares about your fans back at home in your draft party. No one needs you to thank the home city. Shut the f*** up and make the pick.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad