Post-Game Talk: Dec 2.: Cup vs Ducks

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Kuzy is likely maintaining the brain as a priority right now.

Willy scored, that's all I care about.

9 hits, twas a classic hangover helper weekend day preseason game. Never read into those games.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Chukcha

Aug 24, 2011
mongolian steppes
Orlov should make more simple plays in own zone. When Getzlaf was scoring the ducks first, he tried to make too cute play instead of just smashing the puck out of zone. His defensive awareness still isn't very good. I woudn't say he needs to elevate his game drastically, he's actually a good dman, but definitely there are some facets in his game to improve. Some of them will get better while he's getting older and more experienced.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Orlov should make more simple plays in own zone. When Getzlaf was scoring the ducks first, he tried to make too cute play instead of just smashing the puck out of zone. His defensive awareness still isn't very good. I woudn't say he needs to elevate his game drastically, he's actually a good dman, but definitely there are some facets in his game to improve. Some of them will get better while he's getting older and more experienced.

I dunno, this is DO's 6th full season as a starter, not even counting the season he missed most of to injury. He's just making mistakes right now that guys like Bowey and Djoos aren't making and they are working on their first full season as starters. DO has simply regressed this year, but I do think he's more than capable of figuring this out and getting back into smart defensive play. He's played better than this before, this is just mental stuff right now.

Chukcha

Aug 24, 2011
mongolian steppes
I dunno, this is DO's 6th full season as a starter, not even counting the season he missed most of to injury. He's just making mistakes right now that guys like Bowey and Djoos aren't making and they are working on their first full season as starters. DO has simply regressed this year, but I do think he's more than capable of figuring this out and getting back into smart defensive play. He's played better than this before, this is just mental stuff right now.
different players, different peaks.
who knows, maybe he'll become a Norris winner at 30-32 :).

Reactions: kicksavedave

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
My point is that anyone that is ripping players like Burakovsky and Orlov and giving Eller and Niskanen a free pass is being hypocritical. Eller and Niskanen should be thrown under the same bus as those other guys. How do you not understand this concept?

Dont you do the same w Holtby? And did w Trotz?

And conversely you dont EVER see the good in Eller or Niskanen. You are just as capable of wearing blinders as the next person. I dont think you care to see that piece, at all.

Why do you take all of this so personally?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Dont you do the same w Holtby? And did w Trotz?

And conversely you dont EVER see the good in Eller or Niskanen. You are just as capable of wearing blinders as the next person. I dont think you care to see that piece, at all.

Why do you take all of this so personally?
I have seen the good in Niskanen game more so in the past than this season. He is having a rough year. Eller is one of those guys I get so frustrated with. He has some skill but I question his hockey IQ. He makes way too many mental errors. He has had very few good games. He has had games that he got on the scoreboard and still had a bad game. Every player makes mistakes but I am harder on Eller because of the quantity if mistakes. He also continues to make the same mistakes over and over. That turnover that lead to the game winning goal is a mistake that he makes every single game. We gave up a shorty awhile back on a play almost the same as that play. More times than not the turnover at the bueline doesnt cost us a goal but it is a play that us happening way too often. He has to get the puck deep or dish it to a teammate but he insists on hanging into the puck until he is stripped of it.
He may be a bit more productive offensively than Burakovsky but he really isn't playing any better.
As for Niskanen its not just him. That pairing has been an adventure all season. They have had a handful of decent games but overall its been bad. I can't explain how that pairing seems to have regressed so much this year.
BTW I have said in the past and I will say it again. I will not cut those guys any slack until they start playing better and more consistent. I know next time Eller gets a couple points in a game everyone will be jumping on the Eller bandwagon again like they always do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I have seen the good in Niskanen game more so in the past than this season. He is having a rough year. Eller is one of those guys I get so frustrated with. He has some skill but I question his hockey IQ. He makes way too many mental errors. He has had very few good games. He has had games that he got on the scoreboard and still had a bad game. Every player makes mistakes but I am harder on Eller because of the quantity if mistakes. He also continues to make the same mistakes over and over. That turnover that lead to the game winning goal is a mistake that he makes every single game. We gave up a shorty awhile back on a play almost the same as that play. More times than not the turnover at the bueline doesnt cost us a goal but it is a play that us happening way too often. He has to get the puck deep or dish it to a teammate but he insists on hanging into the puck until he is stripped of it.
He may be a bit more productive offensively than Burakovsky but he really isn't playing any better.
As for Niskanen its not just him. That pairing has been an adventure all season. They have had a handful of decent games but overall its been bad. I can't explain how that pairing seems to have regressed so much this year.
BTW I have said in the past and I will say it again. I will not cut those guys any slack until they start playing better and more consistent. I know next time Eller gets a couple points in a game everyone will be jumping on the Eller bandwagon again like they always do.

And there it is again. Cheering Eller when he scores isn't that surprising is it? Beside that, while I disagree with your assessment of Eller overall, I do agree that his weakest plays are related to being a puck hog. But it's your insistence on making sweeping comments about our posters--not your opinions about the players--that makes it not worth debating with you.

Most of our members have been here longer than you, and I assume you came here to be part of this community. Setting yourself against "everyone" all the time is an odd way to go about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->