Proposal: DeBrusk to CAR-some ideas

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
With the idea that CAR is likely looking for a top 6 forward and that the Bruins need some help on the left side of their D, I have a few trade ideas:

-Jake Bean + Ryan Dzingel for DeBrusk - Bean gives the Bruins an NHL ready LD with high potential still on his ELC and a cheap scoring option, capable of 20g in Dzingel

-Haydn Fleury + 2nd or Jack Drury for DeBrusk - Fleury is likely ready for top 4 minutes and can likely be signed for $2M or so prior to arbitration. Draft pick is what it is to make up value, or Drury is a pretty good C prospect looking like a good candidate to fill a 3C or 4C role soon.

-Nino Niederreiter + Jake Bean + Jack Drury for Debrusk + 3rd-Probably the most unlikely scenario, as Niederreiter is coming off of a bad season statistically and carries a $5.25M cap hit for the next 2 years, but perhaps the acquisition of Bean and Drury make it worth it for BOS.

-Brady Skjei for DeBrusk - trade is 1-1

Thoughts?

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
If Boston and Canes are making a deal for DeBrusk, I'd want Bean coming the other way. Doubtful 1-1 works from a Bruins end plus Canes need to free some cap I believe to be able to sign him. If Dzingel comes over I think a pick also needs to be thrown in from the Canes side.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
If Boston and Canes are making a deal for DeBrusk, I'd want Bean coming the other way. Doubtful 1-1 works from a Bruins end plus Canes need to free some cap I believe to be able to sign him. If Dzingel comes over I think a pick also needs to be thrown in from the Canes side.

Hence in my proposals involving Bean, either Dzingel or Niederreiter need to be part of the package from a CAR perspective. BOS gets a high-end LD prospect in Bean but also takes a gamble on a potential DeBrusk replacement. For CAR, by clearing Dzingel or Niederreiter, they should be able to re-sign DeBrusk.

I don't think a Bean + pick or prospect for DeBrusk trade works for CAR as they'd have the cap issue you're referring to in trying to re-sign DeBrusk as well as the rest of their RFAs (Foegele & Fleury)

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Maybe a lauzon?

That makes more sense.

It really hurts to move Fleury here though, but perhaps the clearing of Niederreiter's salary is worth it as Debrusk shouldn't cost much more than $4M on a bridge type deal, so CAR gets some extra breathing room under the cap.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
That makes more sense.

It really hurts to move Fleury here though, but perhaps the clearing of Niederreiter's salary is worth it as Debrusk shouldn't cost much more than $4M on a bridge type deal, so CAR gets some extra breathing room under the cap.

DeBrusk doesn’t even have arbitration rights. I think you can squeeze him more than that on a short term deal.

Reactions: Coach Parker

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
No interest in Dzingel.

Bruins would need to acquire another forward prior to moving DeBrusk for a D.

Dzingel or Niederreiter are about all CAR could offer as replacements. So with them, I added the higher potential prospect in Bean or added Drury to Bean.

Hey, if Boston wants to sign Dadonov and then trade DeBrusk for Fleury + a pick, I’m down with that too.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Hayden Fleury + 2nd for DeBrusk is intriguing. That is the only offer from the OP that I would consider. This would all be dependent on us signing Hoffman.

Reactions: Coach Parker

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Hayden Fleury + 2nd for DeBrusk is intriguing. That is the only offer from the OP that I would consider. This would all be dependent on us signing Hoffman.

I would definitely do it if there's another forward signed first

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Carolina can't make any trades without sending salary back so one of Dzingle, Nino, or Gardiner would have to be involved.

Personally I don't think DeBrusk is a finishing piece for the Canes roster. There is one more top-6 $$ allocation with the roster and he doesn't fit well. He's Warren Foegele with better hands in-tight and less physicality. Is there any read on how much money he wants? I'd much rather pay Hoffman a similar amount if DeBrusk is looking at ~$5 million.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Carolina can't make any trades without sending salary back so one of Dzingle, Nino, or Gardiner would have to be involved.

Personally I don't think DeBrusk is a finishing piece for the Canes roster. He's Warren Foegele with better hands in-tight and less physicality. Is there any read on how much money he wants? I'd much rather pay Hoffman a similar amount if DeBrusk is looking at ~$5 million.
this

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I know you have to give to get, but all things considered (age, expected AAV, and my projections as to performance) I'd like to see the Canes hang onto Fleury and give up other assets in a trade.

Reactions: AhosDatsyukian

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
So Marchand and Pasta are missing regular season time and the Bruins will trade away more offense? Debrusk is staying put after last night injury announcements.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
No to each of those. A package is pointless for Boston.

Why trade for an inferior piece?

The Bruins need a one for one trade for a piece of equal value.

Reactions: Bruhin

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020

Canes wouldn't do it, doubt they'd even do Fleury for DeBrusk + 2nd.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
No to each of those. A package is pointless for Boston.

Why trade for an inferior piece?

The Bruins need a one for one trade for a piece of equal value.

I consider the DeBrusk for Fleury trade basically one for one, with a kicker draft pick just to offset the slightly higher risk that comes with Fleury because he is less proven at this point.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I liked what I saw from Fleury during the playoffs, but I'm wondering if we could acquire another forward with him as well.

Fleury and McGinn for Debrusk and Clifton?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad