Debrusk back as color man

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
This is excellent. The product of broadcasts during the intermission is pretty poor so I didn’t watch them, now I for sure won’t.

Best Oilers related offseason move so far.

Beetle

Mar 30, 2010
Awesome news! I can't stand Remenda. Would prefer to see Ferraro back, but DeBrusk is decent enough. So I'm on board. :thumbu:

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
I won't be watching any Oilers games likely, particularly any that are televised, so it doesn't really matter to me. But I would say I liked Remenda ok last year when he did the broadcasts. It was like a light bulb went off for him that he's not supposed to actively praising the other team and it's players for the full 60 minutes. I honestly don't care if he says nice things about the Oilers or not, but god does it irk me hearing him or some one else talk about how good "Iggy" or some other washed up has-been on the other team is. I either a. don't give an absolute **** about the players on the other team or b. actively hate the players on the other team.

Anyway, I think at some point he figured that out, and good on him.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Remenda in San Jose was a lot better than Remenda in Edmonton. Maybe because he loves the Sharks and is indifferent or dislikes the Oilers. The constant crapping on the players and refusing to criticize the coaching staff got old really fast.

Louie did an excellent job with Randorf for the SJ/EDM playoff series in 2017.

Last edited:

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
I don't have a dog in this conversation/fight but he got into some trouble a few years ago.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/beaten-vancouver-cabbie-sues-ex-nhler-louie-debrusk-1.611668

I remember that story from when it came out, but I don't remember any follow up news about it.

Me personally, I don't mind Debrusk. And I'm in agreement that Remenda actually started to 'get it' near the end of last season and didn't gush all over opposing teams.

I'm just happy we're not saddled with Marty McSorley.

I still think Ray Ferraro was great the one or two seasons he covered the team.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Good news, but kind of weird. Is it considered a demotion for Debrusk? Or did they offer him a whole bunch of money to take the "lower" prestige position? And if they did, I'm surprised they would put so many resources into a regional program.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
There's two sides to every story.

Indeed. ALL the stories of that assault occurred in the news at one time. There has been zero news on that ever since. The story just went a way. Sometimes you would find additional information on a subsequent court day, charges, sententencing etc. Nothing. News on that vanished.

Could be a number of things.

1) settlement out of court or for damages

2)Debrusk acquitted on lack of evidence

3) Charges dropped

4) Original claim may even be malicious.

Who knows. It is unfortunate that more of the news ever seen is of a charge, and less whatever happened to it. So that the way the press works charges are damaging whether or not anything actually occurred as described.

The one thing I will note is that the original story varied pretty wildly on what took place. Several different reports have differing information and the police report alleges the cabbie had minor injury.

Last edited:

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
!!!!! Best news of the offseason!

Even if DeBrusk reverts to his homer ways, I'll take that any day over Remenda's wannabe "expertise" which was usually looking for really dumb reasons to critique the Oilers. This past year we played bad enough again to give him plenty of ammunition and he'd still pick on the dumbest things to whine about - like Connor passing it off for a goal. So happy I don't have to listen to his nonsense anymore. I was finding away team streams just to avoid him.

Have to agree with @Del Preston that he was much better in San Jose, where he left his heart apparently. Probably because he didn't feel insecure about the fans listening knowing as much or more than him. Always felt like he was trying too hard to be edgy for Edmonton.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Well, yeah. Just answering the question.

The resolution came in July of 2012 actually.

I don't feel like paying the 6 dollars necessary on the BC court website to see what it was.

Must've been dismissed. Only stories I could see were that charges were laid and there was a pending lawsuit. Nothing after that.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
They're both terrible.

Come to think of it I can't think of a single working colourman who adds any value to the broadcast. I need to watch more road feeds this year to see.

I think for most Oilers fans, that is the case. The colour guy is not really adding that much to the experience, but they can be a negative to the experience. As long as the replay guys are doing their job and showing the play, we are good. That's why it's most important that a colour guy not be an annoying ass, which Remenda certainly was. Just be a calm not annoying part of the broadcast, and all can be well, which I personally think Debrusk is able to do.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
im seemingly one of the very few who actually liked Remenda, but i'm also a big fan of Louie. I can get behind this change

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Every Oilers fan knows the choice of color commentator is inconsequential, as we are usually loudly screaming into our facepalms after non-Connor plays, or loudly celebrating after Connor plays. They could have wrong-sounding muppets doing the color and I wouldn’t notice.

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
i actually am neighbours with two of the cabbies involved in the case. LD was basically black out drunk and went on a mini rampage on three cabs, getting violent with a couple middle aged indian cab drivers, punched out a couple back windows of cabs. every time they tell the story they mention how big he was and scared they were.

i was surprised to hear too that, along with commentating, LD also works in the oil patch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad