Debrusk back as color man

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It’s funny because fans hated debrusk and cheered remenda when he was originally hired. Now fans have turned again. I personally liked debrusk and I never hated remenda either. It’s Kevin Quinn that I can’t stand. Overtimeee winnner. Nails on a chalkboard when he speaks, man. Lol

Still not enough though. Sportsnet is garbage. I don’t live in edm so I’m happy to get opposing broadcasts unless I have no choice and it’s an all Canadian match up.

I disliked Remenda even from having seen previous Sharks broadcasts. Him and McLellan threw Jumbo Joe Thornton under the bus. I was even a bit suspicious how it was that a coach, and an announcer, that were so close were coming over simultanenously. To me this was like bringing in a new coach and his propaganda arm. With the combination of the eternally shilling Kevin Quinn these were going to be such apologist broadcasts that it would hurt to listen to it..

I never disliked Debrusk. He's somewhat limited in analysis, but he's at least open to speaking his mind and not tying strictly to Oilers positivity doctrine.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Bold move to double down by adding Remenda to it.

Sportsnet will be more clueless than I thought if they actually think people are going to watch an intermission of Remenda and Spector.

Interesting thought but arguably the assumption could be made that the brunt of those fans still watching Oilers games are masochists, anyway,..so maybe it fits

;)

OK, I'll behave now, hehe

I'll be making a sandwich, getting a cider, not watching intermission.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Debrusk seems to have gotten better since he left as full time colour guy here. Mainly he became more impartial.

There was a lot of hate for him when he was the colour guy here because we were perpetually the worst team and he never had a word of criticism to offer up. Always sugar coated absolutely everything. At a time when fans were desperate for heads on spikes debrusk was very much part of the “its all a process” crowd.

I’m hoping he can maintain some of the impartiality he’s gained and doesn’t go back to being such an over the top apologist for the team.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
When one looks lots of other teams and their home games, these Oilers broadcast guys are not the worst. They are easily in better half and bearable. Actually my volume settings have increased during last couple of years.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Like a color commentator has any bearing on my enjoyment of watching a hockey game. Oiler's fans are triggered way too easily & often.

I predict the first "fire DeBrusk" thread by early November.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Remenda and DeBrusk switching roles?

Louie DeBrusk will apparently be handling colour commentary duties with play-by-play man Kevin Quinn on Edmonton Oilers Sportsnet TV broadcasts this winter with Drew Remenda doing between-periods commentary for their Rogers Place home games. When DeBrusk works a weekend HNIC game, Remenda will be providing colour alongside Quinn.

Great news

Although I could do without Remenda all together. I suspect if Oiler fans continue to complain Remenda won't be back for 19-20

they need to get rid of Quinn.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Man Staples always has the worst takes.

e07efb01-4842-4010-b638-00a9b72aa968.png

Reactions: Aerrol

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It’s funny because fans hated debrusk and cheered remenda when he was originally hired. Now fans have turned again. I personally liked debrusk and I never hated remenda either. It’s Kevin Quinn that I can’t stand. Overtimeee winnner. Nails on a chalkboard when he speaks, man. Lol

Still not enough though. Sportsnet is garbage. I don’t live in edm so I’m happy to get opposing broadcasts unless I have no choice and it’s an all Canadian match up.
I don't believe this to be the case. There were a lot that were at least happy that Debrusk was getting a promotion. There were others however claiming Remenda is a huge Shark's homer and that it would wear thin rather quick

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I’m surprised at the love for Dveusk. Not because he isn’t good, which he is, but because I think most fans have a hate on for pretty much all media guys, including the good ones.

This is a good move.
DeBrusk’s commentary wasn’t liked when he had the gig the first time. He was thought of as too much of a homer or supporter of “the old boys club” when the team was at their worst and people were calling for his head too. It wasn’t until he started doing unbiased national games that the fans realized how good he was.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
As someone who watches 99% of the games on streams (and thus hardly ever watch any of the intermission content)... this change is excellent news.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Yay!

I like DeBrusk. He has some awareness of his audience at least. Not the most insightful guy that is gonna dig into details, but he doesn't let himself become annoying either, and that's really all I ask of a colour man. We all know the game well enough that we don't need a colour commentator talking to us like children, especially not when the explanation being given is loaded with biases and stupidity.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
For me, the big difference between the two is Louie just seems like your cool uncle who played the game and wants to share some of what he knows while Remenda came off as the uncle that no one liked who condescendingly explained even the most basic things as if he invented them.

Neither are going to blow you away with their analysis, but I'll take some basic insights from a former NHLer over "what the Sharks did".

Last edited:

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
They're both terrible.

Come to think of it I can't think of a single working colourman who adds any value to the broadcast. I need to watch more road feeds this year to see.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
They're both terrible.

Come to think of it I can't think of a single working colourman who adds any value to the broadcast. I need to watch more road feeds this year to see.
See, that’s what I’m talking about (my earlier post).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad