Death of the PM9

Steve91

Oct 8, 2017
I've been using the PM9 pattern on my sticks almost exclusively for about 10 years now, and I'm starting to notice it's availability is rapidly dropping.

While each company claims to have a version of it (Warrior WO1, Easton E4, CCM P14, formerly Reebok P42), they are getting very hard to find on store shelves, at least in southern Ontario.

I've never once seen a CCM P14, and the WO1 is even still called the Lupul for God's sakes.

It's sad to see, as those who use this curve know, it's a beautiful blade. It gives you the ability to have the strongest hockey fundamentals across the board, like passing, pass receptions, poke checking and breaking up plays. Small things that you don't think of like keeping the puck on your backhand with one hand on your stick while you're ripping around the back of their net are really easy to do with it.

The only slight downside could be wrist shot power. I've used it so long I can actually shoot harder with it than a P92, but I can still see the argument of not having a lot of toe on there.

Is it just the retailers catering to the "Wheel Toey Ched Celley ya Duster" crowd? Is it just the area I live in? Seems like Bauer is the only company still putting it out at all.

Crosby uses a curve almost identical to the PM9, so what gives? Don't we want to give kids the option of modelling their games after arguably the best player in the world?

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
From what I noticed, manufacturers and retailers have decided to not offer as many options and instead focus on providing what's most popular. It makes sense business wise. They don't have to worry about getting stuck with a handful of the less popular stuff, which they'll have to sell at a discount.

As for kids, most don't really know what they really want. They just look at the name on the stick and it's like bee to honey.

For those that do know what they want, there's still the option of custom ordering from the manufacturer or going to a place like BASE hockey, who specialize in custom sticks at the retail level.

But after all is said and done, the blade doesn't make the player. It's just a refinement on one's skills. I'm sure Crosby would still be Crosby if he used a P92 or a P88 or carved down tree branch.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I never used that curve, so can't really comment. I've always been a P92 or P92A (Staal). The Stall pattern is one I had to transition away from (basically was a flat blade with a heel kink), due to a tweak in my posture. I did notice though, that blade variety seems smaller than before while I was browsing the hockey shop the other day.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Shit is this true? I've been using that curve my whole life. I used to use Easton sticks and back then it was the Zetterberg and before that Modano. I was just at the hockey store last week and noticed that they didn't have any PM9s, I thought it was just that they happened to be out of them. It's such a great curve. I hate the bigger curves. I'll have to try and stock up while I still can I guess. Backhanders under the bar all night

Reactions: Apocalypse Dude

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I loved this curve, along with the P92. I made the switch to the p88 a few years ago and have been hesitating to go back, but I figure i'm getting older in age and need the extra help from a curve these days. I'll have to pick up another PM9 through websites I suppose.

BUD WEISER

Apr 2, 2019
PM9 lives on, Bauer still has a few of them now and then under Stamkos or Larkin, and NoName Hockey Sticks can be ordered with a PM9, or what they label as a NN9. I've always used it and find when going to the more aggressive curves I tend to sail the puck way too high.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I bought a Warrior Zetterberg recently and boy, was I bummed. Easton Zetterberg was the PM9/E4, not the Warrior Zetterberg. Anyway, you can find the PM9 on pretty much all the high-end sticks, but anything lower than that is dominated by the P88 or P92 curves.

This search might help you: https://www.hockeygiant.com/c/one-piece-composite-hockey-sticks?hand=Right&div_main_desc=Senior&pattern=W01%2cPM9&flex=75%20Flex%2c77%20Flex%2c85%20Flex%2c87%20Flex%2c95%20Flex%2c102%20Flex
lol, Warrior Zetterberg is actually the only stick I have here, along with 2 Right handed stick signed by a local teams.
I don't know much about sticks. I mostly struggled with the lie and I kind of got used to it, but I had a difficult time getting around it.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
lol, Warrior Zetterberg is actually the only stick I have here, along with 2 Right handed stick signed by a local teams.
I don't know much about sticks. I mostly struggled with the lie and I kind of got used to it, but I had a difficult time getting around it.

i ended up buying a warrior qx pro, w01, flex 75 from monkey. my shots were launching over the net with the zetterberg. oh well, ill keep it as a backup

Reactions: Fixxer

Derek Sanborn

Jun 10, 2018
Bringing this post back to life. I have used the "PM9" my entire life and I just can't find it in a stick under $175. I just bought a P88 as it is "similar" but its just not working out.

I know I have read that Warrior W01 is similar. Is it the same or is it similar? Any help at getting this stick at a reasonable price would be great. Hard to justify a $250 stick for beer leagues... but its also painful to keep hitting the goalie square in the chest and fumbling every puck.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
yeah people tried to tell me that the P88 would be close enough. Nope... My recomendation is to check prostock. I've found a few PM9s kicking around lately for 140-170. Also, the Warrior version is close enough that I can't tell a difference when playing.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
yeah people tried to tell me that the P88 would be close enough. Nope... My recomendation is to check prostock. I've found a few PM9s kicking around lately for 140-170. Also, the Warrior version is close enough that I can't tell a difference when playing.

Never used it but what was so different about it? I think the biggest difference is lie, the pm9 is (was) one of those fewer blades that had the lower lie so the puck would be controlled a littler further out from your body compared to p88 is probably the biggest difference.

so depending on stick length and how far you control the puck from your body, the p88 might not sit flush on the rink and be too much on the heel if you're really used to pm9 and switch right to p88

Last edited:

Apocalypse Dude

"Value"
Jul 25, 2012
Nova Scotia
So glad I found this thread. Haven't seen a Zetterberg Easton in years and I'm similar to the rest of you in the sense that anything with a big toe curve is overkill.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
sidelineswap is typically a good place to find PM9, or close patterns.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad