Dear CBC - PICKS, Hooks, Interference and Diving are NOT SAVVY VETERAN PLAYS

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
refs putting away the whistles in the playoffs ????? where's my captain Renault Casablanca meme generator ?

the alternative is that you get games called on ticky tack plays like ottawa boston when bobby ryan somehow miraculously escaped a call. You want more of that ? I don't.

Let em play!

Damn I wonder if anyone anticipated this false dichotomy **** like 3 posts up

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
if you are not cheating, you arent trying. I'm fine with players trying to figure out where the line is and approach it as close as humanly possible. this isn't a soccer " friendly"

If i can get a shot in on another player and not get called for it, you want me to refrain from doing so for the sake of good sportsmanship ? The question should be whether the action benefits my team and what is the likelihood of getting caught and the potential consequences thereof.

no one trades a cup ring for the lady byng

I'm not saying the players should do anything different. I'm saying the media is part of the culture problem that sees players like Steve Ott somehow become valuable come playoff time. Lauding a player for diving or obstructing or roughing encourages others to do the same, and it sends a message that to be smart you need to dive or hack someone's finger off. It does nothing for the sport. You can't stop the players from wanting to win, but you can stop the refs from ignoring blatant penalties. If it's in the rulebook, it's there for a reason. It should be called no matter what. The media shouldn't be encouraging refs to allow players to cheat.

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
I get the complaints about uncalled hooks and holds but I've actually gained an appreciation for the subtle pick plays after becoming somewhat of a basketball enthusiast quite recently. They can be used both offensively and defensively in the NHL and definitely take skill to execute without getting called. I have no gripes with a subtle pick here and there.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I get the complaints about uncalled hooks and holds but I've actually gained an appreciation for the subtle pick plays after becoming somewhat of a basketball enthusiast quite recently. They can be used both offensively and defensively in the NHL and definitely take skill to execute without getting called. I have no gripes with a subtle pick here and there.

Ok that's fine.

But in Canada, every single time it happens the broadcasters praise it with such high regard, and do breakdown segments about how great it was.

Sure. It happens in the playoffs. I get it. I've watched hockey my entire life.

But praising every dive that gets called as a penalty, and praising every pick as solid hockey is just stupid. It shouldn't be praised. If they want to be neutral just say woops. Ref missed that one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad