Signing(s): Deandre Ayton signs offersheet with the Pacers (4 years, $133 million) - Suns match

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The Suns screwed themselves majorly here. I get haggling over money as I personally don't think Ayton is a max contract player, but they made things so, so much worse.

- they allegedly didn't even make him an offer in free agency, pissing off a guy who was already pissed.

- Ayton's relationships with his coaches, teammates and organization has apparently degraded severely. Again, likely because he feels undervalued/disrespected

Phoenix is now faced with a gongshow with a couple of options:

A) match the offer sheet and risk disrupting team chemistry/cohesion because you pissed off one of your key pieces..not to mention you cannot trade him for 6 months along with Ayton getting veto power on any trades he doesnt like afterwards

B) beg Indiana to give you something in a sign and trade so you can try and save face and then continue your pursuit of KD I guess?

C) let him walk for absolutely nothing because despite your run of success, you're still the jabroni ass Suns.

If I'm Indiana I'm calling the Suns bluff. You don't have the need for Ayton and you're going to suck with or without him. See if the Suns actually do match.

Reactions: Know Your Enemy

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
What was the game here for the Suns? Were they trying to not go to the luxury tax?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Lol DeAndre Ayton straight up saying the Suns can kiss his ass by doing this. He doesn't want to play in Phoenix, he stops them from trading for Kevin Durant AND he's probably going to be able to decide which team he plays for when he does inevitably get traded.

What a champ. As has been mentioned in this thread, they're still the jabroni ass Suns.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
What was the game here for the Suns? Were they trying to not go to the luxury tax?

They didn't think he was a max player; Indiana couldn't offer the same deal they could have. So they saved something like $40 million for the time being.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad