Dean Lombardi Book

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
One thing that isn't brought up a lot is that Lombardi deserves a lot of credit for never trading Quick. The team was woefully short on offensive talent even in the years leading up to 2012 and they had a goalie that DL had drafted in round 1 and another guy from the previous regime, the simple thing to do would have been to say Bernier was our guy and trade Quick while his value was growing. I remember typing on this board that I would have traded Quick for Carter around 2010, boy would that have been a mistake. The Kings had great teams in 2012-2014 but it's hard to imagine them winning much with Bernier.

Can't think of any competent GM that would trade and up and coming goalie that is displaying elite traits and potential. That was absolute gold for this organization, when was the last time that they not only had an elite goalie on their hands, but that they had drafted him as well? You want to give DL credit for what would have been the biggest blunder of his time with the Kings?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Can't think of any competent GM that would trade and up and coming goalie that is displaying elite traits and potential. That was absolute gold for this organization, when was the last time that they not only had an elite goalie on their hands, but that they had drafted him as well? You want to give DL credit for what would have been the biggest blunder of his time with the Kings?

Yes,

Dean was generally a stubborn GM (see Richards example) and he could have stuck with his guy, the guy he used his 1st draft pick on the guy he thought so much of that he had in the NHL at 19. I think he deserves some credit for never trading Quick along the way and going with Bernier, plenty of GM's would have. On the flip side I guess you could say they should have traded Bernier sooner (maybe for a scorer in the summer of 09).

But owhen it comes to grading Lombardi's era when it comes to goaltending development and coaching he has to have an A. It went from a huge organizational weakness to best in the league.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Bernier's name was out there in trade rumors back in 2012. In digging through the dozens of articles of Dustin Brown trade rumors at the time, Bernier's name was attached with Brown in rumors suggesting that the two could be paired together in a larger package to bring in additional scoring, one of those players of interest being Rick Nash.

Fast forward to when Bernier is actually dealt, the Kings thought they were getting a potential top six forward in Matt Frattin, who started off playing with Mike Richards and Jeff Carter. Thankfully that experiment didn't last long.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Bernier's name was out there in trade rumors back in 2012. In digging through the dozens of articles of Dustin Brown trade rumors at the time, Bernier's name was attached with Brown in rumors suggesting that the two could be paired together in a larger package to bring in additional scoring, one of those players of interest being Rick Nash.

Fast forward to when Bernier is actually dealt, the Kings thought they were getting a potential top six forward in Matt Frattin, who started off playing with Mike Richards and Jeff Carter. Thankfully that experiment didn't last long.

October 2013 the Kings have Jeff Carter playing with Matt Frattin and Mike Richards on the 2nd line (it had to have been one of the worst in the NHL). And by the end of the year the Kings are so loaded at forward that Justin Williams was playing on the 3rd line at ES.

Crazy

Jun 30, 2006
If you hold a rumored Patches trade against Blake, you had better hold swings-and-misses on Chara, Briere, B. Richards, Kovy 1.0, and many more against DL, too.

Sometimes the best signings/trades are the ones you don't make, but that doesn't mean they weren't attempted.
It wasn’t Blake that inquired about patches, that was a deal where Luc colluded with his best friend who was also patches agent at the time. It was unethical and patches fired his agent over it.

Its one thing to swing for a player, it’s another to do it in a shady way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad