Michael Russo: Dean Evason 5th full time head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Evason's come up in a few different threads and it seems like an opportune time to bump this and reflect.

For a guy that I was skeptical of initially I've been pretty impressed. I'm sure getting strong goaltending is a major factor, but his record this year with an odd looking roster kind of speaks for itself. He seems to be well liked by the players and hasn't been afraid to demote/promote/shift based on merit and what is and isn't working. Not perfect, but I really don't have any pointed criticism to offer beyond the odd "why is that line out right now?" sort of stuff. The powerplay's been kind of a mess but I never have anything useful to say about that, and it seems to be clicking recently.

Seems like a solid B+ for a guy I had C- expectations for.

Last edited:
Reactions: HotDish

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Yeah when he was hired, I felt very whelmed. I have quickly turned around on him and approve of the hire. I agree with the B+ rating. This week on the Athletics' puck soup they thought Evason should be up for the Jack Adams just because they believe they Wild were a lot better than people guessed. However, I think a certain Russian is a big reason for that.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Yeah when he was hired, I felt very whelmed. I have quickly turned around on him and approve of the hire. I agree with the B+ rating. This week on the Athletics' puck soup they thought Evason should be up for the Jack Adams just because they believe they Wild were a lot better than people guessed. However, I think a certain Russian is a big reason for that.
I do think Kaprizov and Talbot/Kahkonen have more to do with it than Evason.

Reactions: TaLoN

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Meh. I'm not a fan. I tend not to credit/discredit head coaches for goaltending, had Talbot/Kahkonen been here last year, that team would have been a surefire playoff team similar to how this one is and BB would still be the coach.

I have quibbles with many of lineup decisions.

Reactions: TaLoN and GuerinUp

A Bundy

Mar 3, 2021
My only complaint is that he didn't play Kakhonen in the play-offs last season. Otherwise, think the team overdelivers week-in week-out on his watch, and he juggles the lines impressively. His eyes scares me a bit though.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
My only complaint is that he didn't play Kakhonen in the play-offs last season. Otherwise, think the team overdelivers week-in week-out on his watch, and he juggles the lines impressively. His eyes scares me a bit though.
Stalock in net wasn't the reason we lost in the playoffs last year.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Considering his unbalanced lineup, he has done well. His players play for him, and I Like his willingness to change things around, and not be overly careful of hurting feelings while not being a jerk.

If he can get the PP up to snuff then he gets an A- from me. If he can somehow get the C's winning FO's at a league average rate then he gets an A.
Right now I've got him at a B+. It's easy To take coaches for granted till you've had a bad one. We've been pretty lucky. I was fully prepared to not like him because I liked BB, but he has proven himself to be at least a good coach. He's got his two best players playing for him, the goalies playing well, and the top4 D are playing an even amount of minutes for the first time ever, which I have been screaming about for years.

Last edited:
Reactions: A Bundy

A Bundy

Mar 3, 2021
He could have pulled Kakhonen this game, even though I did not see it unfold? Like he could have some other games aganst Colorado and Vegas if I recall right. It's ok for a goalie have a bad day, and that is why they get pulled before it all falls apart. Confidence, stats - that generate praise - that generate confidence.
Edit: just saw the GDT and the Russo comments and discussion on the lack of pulling. K should obviously not have to go through this, but he'll bounce back. Finnish sisu

Last edited:

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Whatever way you slice it, he’s going to be a finalist for the Jack Adam’s. What are the thoughts on him now that the powerplay has gotten going?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Still B+/A- for me. I know the Rask thing is irritating and their 5v5 play is a little soft lately, but I don't really fault him for sticking with what's working while they're winning games. I'd still like to see Bjugstad in for Rask regardless, but whatever.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He's fine. Maybe even good. But I'm still going to bitch about some things that he does. Hawks fans were bitching about Q even when they were winning Cups, so it's just the nature of things.

In the end, it's a results-based business, and he's getting results right now.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Hard not to be :thumbu:. Everyone plays for him. The top 4 D have TOI that are near identical, even though they have different assignments during games. It's not like a few years ago when Suter played 30 minutes, Dumba 16, and Prosser 10.

The top 5 D are separated by two pts.

It's obvious we are missing top 6 C's, but to answer that he has put together what has to be one of the strongest bottom sixes I've seen.

Oh, and he hasn't messed with Kaprizov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->