Player Discussion Dealing with demons. Ales Hemsky edition

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
We all remember Ales Hemsky.
He was the best player on the Oilers for years and unfortunately the injuries took its toll on poor Ales. He had made some great plays and brought us out of our seats in years that were oh so dark.

In this edition of dealing with demon, let us discuss the possible return of Hemmer to retire an oiler. Discuss the possible line he would play on and if you wish, share your favorite Memory of Ales.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I loved Hemsky, he gave us so many great memories. But he's 34 and has played 22 games in the last 2 seasons. The most I would offer him is a PTO, with the expectation that he probably doesn't make the team.

Reactions: MisterD

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
His greatest moment as an Oilers player
enigh

Agreed! One of those goals you just can't forget.
As for bringing Ales back to retire, that's a solid no from me. He was great, a reason for watching during difficult years, but this team spends enough time hung up on the past as it is. Bringing Smyth back was one thing, but you can't keep re-glorifying every player who was good for the team back in the day.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I was never a big fan honestly. Didn’t have great finishing skills and was a WCB case. I thought they should have traded him way before they did at the deadline when they traded Penner.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Personally, I would bring him back for a PTO. Have him play in the pre season and see where he is at. Worse case scenario, release him or sign him to a one day contract and retire.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I’d like to see us sign him to a 1 day contract so he can retire an Oiler.

Absolutely bring him back on a one day contract.

Sign him to actually play next season?

He is 34 and sat out all but seven games of the season with a concussion. I would bet retirement is all he is thinking about.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
wow. what happened to this guy
He was done a few seasons before he left here. I think he’d probably have been gone much sooner than he was but he seemed to be hurt at the trade deadline a couple times. Good for him that he’s managed to get contracts up until now.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Personally, I would bring him back for a PTO. Have him play in the pre season and see where he is at. Worse case scenario, release him or sign him to a one day contract and retire.

It couldn't really hurt, but there are definitely more deserving veteran RW candidates to spend that time, paperwork and effort on. Hansen, Stewart, Stafford, Wingels, Beagle, Ward, Smith-Pelley, heck, even a guy like Gionta should be given the time of day over Hemsky. Not a knock on Hemsky, but he is just done.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
There sure was a lot of talk last summer about bringing washed up players in on PTO’s. It’s pretty much a waste of time and in the sense that most of these guys are done and even if they somehow make the team they aren’t going to move the needle in filling in holes on your team. Jagr didn’t help Calgary and didn’t come close to lasting the season and Iginla never got signed anywhere. Those were the two that a lot of people on this board wasted their time trying to convince the rest of us that they were good ideas. I’d rate Hemsky’s chances of helping the Oilers as much lower than them.

Sign him to a one day contract so he can retire as an Oiler if that’s what he wants although I’m not really sure he’d want that anyway.
I wouldn’t even entertain the idea of anymore than that.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Yo, Hemsky talk! Let's do this.

Give him 10 x 10 - I don't give a shit. Get this baby back in Oilers silks.

Seriously though, a PTO wouldn't hurt at all. Especially if we let him try the RW spot with McDavid in the pre-season.

Reactions: ToeMcDrag83

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Wait let me get this straight, we run out Jordan Eberle for being lazy, cheating on offense, and taking plays off, yet we're trying to bring back the poster boy for entitlement and lack of accountability now? We're talking about the player who was known for being first one off, last one on in practice, and was constantly clashing with coaches, with the exception of Eakins who loved him, which should tell you all about this guy's "character".

This guy pouted for 3 straight years from 2011-2014 due to losing his spot as the top RW and half assed all of those years just collecting a paycheck. He actually had the audacity to finally try during his last game as an Oiler just as a **** you to our faces saying "I could still play at a high level all along". The he goes to Ottawa, plays hard because he is now playing for a contract again, gets said contract. Then proceeds to spend the next few years coasting and managing to be the most hated player in Dallas, then managing to be the most hated player again in Montreal for the first month or so of this season, due to his unwillingness to try.

It was fine when he was a 70 point player and his on ice contributions overshadowed his personality issues, but we shouldn't touch the current him with a 500 foot pole. The last thing we need is for a player like Caggiula watch this guy and think to himself "it's okay to take plays off".​

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Always loved Hemmer, I'd be fine with a PTO. We're missing wingers and we're missing cap space. Hemsky's likely a cheap winger. If he can still somewhat pay, that's great. If not, no harm done.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
He can't play.

I live in Montreal. Saw a few games. He's barely an NHLer, and what little is left of his game (not much) will fall off any day now.

Don't expect him to suddenly get better 7 years removed from being decent.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He missed the entire season with a concussion so I'm not sure how he'd rebound after missing nearly 90% of the past two seasons. But as a Cammalleri-type add I wouldn't be opposed because he'd probably take close to league min at this point. He hasn't lost his speed or his hands. The only concern is that he was never really known as a big shooter and we need to be looking at guys who can be volume shooters this summer. But as a PTO or even a league min gamble, I'll always have time for Ales Hemsky. Worst comes to worst he opts out like Jagr mid-season.

Also OP, your title makes it seem like Hemmer's dealing with some mental health issues.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
it would be the coolest thing ever if we could bring on Hemsky and he'd pile up points next to McDavid or Drai, and the team won a ton of games.

However, it is a fantasy. Even giving him a PTO is much, because it takes preseason time away from other RWers like Puljujarvi and Yamamoto, or another useful RW we might get. Those preseason minutes are not totally useless btw. We have them to see how players do and give them chances to prove themselves.

I'd give Hemsky a PTO if there were a reason to assume his injury issues were behind him and he'd find some lost youth, like some new therapy or procedure.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Wait let me get this straight, we run out Jordan Eberle for being lazy, cheating on offense, and taking plays off, yet we're trying to bring back the poster boy for entitlement and lack of accountability now? We're talking about the player who was known for being first one off, last one on in practice, and was constantly clashing with coaches, with the exception of Eakins who loved him, which should tell you all about this guy's "character".

This guy pouted for 3 straight years from 2011-2014 due to losing his spot as the top RW and half assed all of those years just collecting a paycheck. He actually had the audacity to finally try during his last game as an Oiler just as a **** you to our faces saying "I could still play at a high level all along". The he goes to Ottawa, plays hard because he is now playing for a contract again, gets said contract. Then proceeds to spend the next few years coasting and managing to be the most hated player in Dallas, then managing to be the most hated player again in Montreal for the first month or so of this season, due to his unwillingness to try.

It was fine when he was a 70 point player and his on ice contributions overshadowed his personality issues, but we shouldn't touch the current him with a 500 foot pole. The last thing we need is for a player like Caggiula watch this guy and think to himself "it's okay to take plays off".​

Glad somebody replied with this.

Some of his issues were shoulder-related, and just hanging on safely to score new contracts, but he dogged it a lot.

I remember one trade deadline where the Kings were set to trade for him, but bailed in favour of Dustin Penner. Not gonna lie, I was a little pissed. Hemmer had his bags packed for months, and he was going to fetch something decent. But he goes on IR right after the trade deadline, plays the next season, we couldn't trade him for anything so we sign him to a 2y/$10M contract which he was garbage all the way through.

Really soured his legacy here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad