Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
go kim johnsson said:
probably eklund, too
He is considered too credible in his sources and inside info .. So he was not invited at this time .. However the panel will be discussing the things he has been informing us all on ..

They only wanted guys who wildly speculate and have shown to have unbiased opinions in the lockout.

Try to catch the first hour .. Domi talks about the immanent firing of Goodenow and the NHLPA uprising and

Brooks and Fishler go head to head in a debate based on the first thought that comes into their heads ..

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I started the thread and am skeptical of the news (and was even in the intial post that I made). It is only, so far, in one news source and that makes me somewhat wary. Also, I would think that most here are very wary of these reportings after what we went through right before the season was cancelled. On the other hand it does make some sense that both sides have to be feeling pressures from all sides, the players must be very nervous and get the sense that Sideshow Bob has sold them a bill of goods, Bettman will not break, and looks like he would lose another season if necessary. The Owners are feeling it from sponsers, then again that is a sword that cuts the players too - less revenues = less in the pie for them when a deal finally does get cut. In the end it was worth linking this as it is newsworthy, but I will never believe totally anything until I actually see the NHL and NHLPA singing a contract.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I definately think this is going to get done within the next few weeks. The first indication is the marathon meetings they had last week. The fact that the entire NHLPA players commitee was there and that Goodenow didn't storm out is definately a good sign. Not only that, but they then released the first press release where the actually said that progress was made on some issues.

Both sides feel the pressure and need this done. They need sponsors, ESPN and some fans. If this isn't done soon, they'll lose all three.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
That site is terrible. Who are they trying to fool? $48M cap, yet they don't mention how that relates to revenues is if they don't know the deal is going to be linkage. And would the NHL take that on normal revenues anyway? I doubt it.

Not to mention, why would they be having a secret meeting? Like there was so much press at the last one that they couldn't get anything done? Wouldn't they want to have as many public meetings as possible, so that fans at least know they are meeting as much as this guy says they are? Not only is he making up rumours, but they don't even make sense.

Anyway, I definetly think a deal is close. By the length of the meetings, they are getting something done. The hardest thing to agree on at this point is probably definition of revenues, because that's the one thing that involves trust and that's the biggest problem between players and owners. But they talked about that for a whole week, and if they have that solved than I think the rest is somewhat easy.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
nyr7andcounting said:
But they talked about that for a whole week, and if they have that solved than I think the rest is somewhat easy.

don't be so sure. Qualfiying offers and arbitration are also major sticking points.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
go kim johnsson said:
don't be so sure. Qualfiying offers and arbitration are also major sticking points.
Well I think both sides know the owners owe some concessions to players and that will probably be two of them. QO are easy, arbitration might take a long meeting to settle but other than that, if revenues and the linkage/cap are settled everything else is give and take.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
What the hell is this site. $45 mil cap range. I don't believe a word this jackass is talking about. Who the hell owns this site anyway...an actual newspaper? I could write better **** then this. What a joke to believe this site. A deal could be close, but this site is just some moron guessing and trying to be right because he might be.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
nyrmessier011 said:
What the hell is this site. $45 mil cap range. I don't believe a word this jackass is talking about. Who the hell owns this site anyway...an actual newspaper? I could write better **** then this. What a joke to believe this site. A deal could be close, but this site is just some moron guessing and trying to be right because he might be.

From a google search:
DelcoTimes.com is the web site of the Delaware County Daily and Sunday Times
newspaper, which covers news, sports and features in Delaware County, PA.

I said when I posted it 'for what it is worth.' However it is a legit newspaper and not one horse town variety, Delaware County is just outside of Philly, sort of a suburb I think.

WC Handy*

If the agreement turns out to me a $45M cap w/o a strong luxury tax at a lower level (100%+ at 38 or less) then I'd be pretty pissed. That deal after sitting out this long would be unacceptable.

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
sounds like the author of the newspaper article is writing an opinion piece more than anything; I don't see much substantive evidence that a deal is actually imminent. and that hockeynation site is a joke. they said a "deal was done" 3 days ago. yeh, okay :shakehead

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
From a google search:

I said when I posted it 'for what it is worth.' However it is a legit newspaper and not one horse town variety, Delaware County is just outside of Philly, sort of a suburb I think.

Delaware County is just outside of Philadelphia, and the guy that wrote the article has been covering the Phantoms all year. It wasn't a fact based story, just him throwing out a rumor, and adding a bit of his opinion.

DARKSIDE

Nov 17, 2003
I don't know about the paper or the writer, but he made some valid points about when they sign a new CBA, the amount of madness with the list of UFA's players and trades, followed by a weighted draft will probably be the most exciting off-season we will ever see. Dam, we deserve it! And regarding the question he asked "Will Anybody Care" heck, this board will be going crazy for sure. :handclap:

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
John Flyers Fan said:
Delaware County is just outside of Philadelphia, and the guy that wrote the article has been covering the Phantoms all year. It wasn't a fact based story, just him throwing out a rumor, and adding a bit of his opinion.

You definately would know better than I would John, what I know of the area or writer was and is sparse. Not sure how well connected or about his sources, he did not phrase it as 'opinion' though, but as what he had heard from a number of sources from both sides. And I thought the paper big enough and the news important enough to share with a thread - with the grain of salt that I myself threw in.

RLC

Aug 7, 2004
Montreal
A 45mill cap ??
only if a lux tax at 1-1 starts at 32mill with an added penilty of a 1st rounder at 37 and 2 first rounders at 42mil.

With a lux tax you could give the players a 100 mill cap.
1-1 at 35 mil
1-1.5 at 40mil
1-2 at 45mil
1-2.5 at 50mil. ( Kovalev at 4 mill costs as much as 4+10mil = 14 mil)
No sane GM would go for Kovalev above that 35 mil threshhold.
But of course the NHLPA want to have a way of letting insane GM's bid of a top name player.

Now understanding that both side don't want to lose face, the idea of a higher cap but with huge lux tax means the NHLPA could say they got a 45-50mil cap.
THe NHL could say that with the extremely high lux tax, their ain't no way any GM will pay a Kovalev 10-15 mil + draft choices.

now crunch the numbers so both sides feel comfortable.
but the lux tax must be setup that only insane GM's would bid above a certain level. If the NHLPA still dont like it then it's clear again just who is insane.

sandman441

Jan 25, 2003
ALASKA
Mr Bugg said:
I think we should e-mail Eklund about this. He might have some insight, if he's not too busy interviewing Gomez in Alaska or something.

hey that's my job :) . I don't believe any rumor on a deal until I see a hockey game on TV.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
We can only hope.

But as GKJ said, even these idiots cant be stupid enough to sit around for 20 hours without moving foward.

Hockey is coming.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
nyr7andcounting said:
Well I think both sides know the owners owe some concessions to players and that will probably be two of them. QO are easy, arbitration might take a long meeting to settle but other than that, if revenues and the linkage/cap are settled everything else is give and take.

You would think that QO's are easy. I think the PA is banking on the owners giving in something on the salary structure so that the QO's look more appealing as they were outrageously in favor of the players in the last CBA.

DARKSIDE

Nov 17, 2003
RLC said:
A 45mill cap ??
only if a lux tax at 1-1 starts at 32mill with an added penilty of a 1st rounder at 37 and 2 first rounders at 42mil.

With a lux tax you could give the players a 100 mill cap.
1-1 at 35 mil
1-1.5 at 40mil
1-2 at 45mil
1-2.5 at 50mil. ( Kovalev at 4 mill costs as much as 4+10mil = 14 mil)
No sane GM would go for Kovalev above that 35 mil threshhold.
But of course the NHLPA want to have a way of letting insane GM's bid of a top name player.

Now understanding that both side don't want to lose face, the idea of a higher cap but with huge lux tax means the NHLPA could say they got a 45-50mil cap.
THe NHL could say that with the extremely high lux tax, their ain't no way any GM will pay a Kovalev 10-15 mil + draft choices.

now crunch the numbers so both sides feel comfortable.
but the lux tax must be setup that only insane GM's would bid above a certain level. If the NHLPA still dont like it then it's clear again just who is insane.

I'm sorry I don't understand, is it you proposing using draft picks as a penalty for go over the cap or is this something the is being dicussed by the NHL?

Last edited:

WC Handy*

DARKSIDE said:
I'm sorry, but are you proposing using draft picks as a penalty for go over the cap or is this something the is being proposed by the NHL?

He's saying that the only way the league should accept a cap that high is with draft picks being penalties.

RLC

Aug 7, 2004
Montreal
DARKSIDE said:
I'm sorry I don't understand, is it you proposing using draft picks as a penalty for go over the cap or is this something the is being dicussed by the NHL?

I dont know anything.
I am just proposing that penilty because to some clubs money seems to mean nothing ( they can afford it) but if we add a penitly of draft picks or two, now that will discurage the big spenders to hold back a bit.
As far as I know no such penilty has been talked about at any meeting.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
Jaded-Fan said:
From a google search:

Oh hey I know you did...I'm not putting the blame on you at all...didn't mean for it to come out that way

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
RLC said:
I dont know anything.
I am just proposing that penilty because to some clubs money seems to mean nothing ( they can afford it) but if we add a penitly of draft picks or two, now that will discurage the big spenders to hold back a bit.
As far as I know no such penilty has been talked about at any meeting.
I've always been in favor of incorporating draft pick penalties as part of a luxury tax system.

Part of the reason owner's have overspent is because fans have always griped and yelled 'cheapskate' when an owner lets a popular player walk. It's easy for the fans to spend someone else's (the owner's) money.

On the other hand, if the fans know that signing a particular guy at the price he's asking puts the team over a salary threshold and will cost them in the draft, then the owner would have at least some of the fan base on his side.

Lanny MacDonald*

EndBoards said:
I've always been in favor of incorporating draft pick penalties as part of a luxury tax system.

Part of the reason owner's have overspent is because fans have always griped and yelled 'cheapskate' when an owner lets a popular player walk. It's easy for the fans to spend someone else's (the owner's) money.

On the other hand, if the fans know that signing a particular guy at the price he's asking puts the team over a salary threshold and will cost them in the draft, then the owner would have at least some of the fan base on his side.

I have never liked nor considered that aspect of the whole "draft pick penalty" concept, but now that you mention it in that contect it might help curb one of the biggest contributors to the over-spending done by some owners, that being fan pressure. I don't mind that now. Consider me a convert.

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
The Iconoclast said:
I have never liked nor considered that aspect of the whole "draft pick penalty" concept, but now that you mention it in that contect it might help curb one of the biggest contributors to the over-spending done by some owners, that being fan pressure. I don't mind that now. Consider me a convert.

Want to eliminate fan pressure? Don't mess with draft picks. Punish teams that go over the cap by penalizing them points in the standings. Playoffs are where the money is made, playoffs are where the fans see the best hockey, playoffs are where the players win the Cup. I can't think of anything that would shut down a big spender faster than to hamper his team's chance at the playoffs. Imagine how quickly the fans would quit screaming for the team so spend money if it meant possibly playing golf instead of hockey come April.

Radical, they'll never do it, of course, but sure would be effective. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->