Proposal: Deal around Bobby Ryan and RNH?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
In a pure out of context one for one trade, a majority of people probably choose RNH signed for 6M from 23 years old to 27 years old over Bobby Ryan signed for 7.25M from 29 years old to 34 years old.

With that said, I don't think Ottawa makes this one for one swap right now. Whether or not it is misguided, Dorion seems infatuated with the idea that this Ottawa team is ready to win. Moving Ryan for RNH leaves a massive hole on Ottawa's right side in the top 6. Ottawa just went and acquired Brassard, so with Brassard and Turris already down the middle and Pageau as a very solid 3C from a team build perspective it doesn't make a lot of sense. It creates a huge hole on the right side while overstocking Ottawa at centre. Even if RNH were to convert to LW, Ottawa is already decent there if MacArthur returns to pre-concussion form.

If Ottawa crashes and burns this season and has to re-evaluate their team structure next season, unless Ryan has a huge year, I think they'd do this trade.

I don't think Edmonton does this trade at all. They'd probably want Ceci for RNH, and there's almost no way Ottawa does that. There's a microscopic chance they opt to move Ceci and keep Methot as a result of the expansion draft. But it is a possibility in the same way that ANYTHING is possible. It isn't something I would seriously consider as a likely scenario.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Pageau and Smith were playing third line last year. My comments related to Kelly and Neil 2016 versions. Putting Pageau with Kelly and Neil would not use Pageau's skills well enough. The Center lineup would be Turris, Brassard, RNH wth Pageau on 4th line.

Oops on my part. I meant to say 4th line last year.

:D

Hoffman-Brassard-Ryan
MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Smith-Pageau-Lazar
Wildcards : Dzingel, Paul, Puempel

4th line : ????-Kelly-Neil

???? : could be any of Dzingel, Puempel, Pyatt, Paul, maybe even Lazar or Smith (doubt it in his case)

Top-9 is going to be loaded (if healthy of course) and might have a bit of skill on the 4th line LW. If Kelly is healthy, it could be a good duo.

Maybe this is terrible, but RNH, Yak for Ryan and Ceci?

No as it doesn't accomplish anything for Ottawa but creates holes.

Ottawa doesn't have much RD depth : Karlsson-Ceci-Wideman-Jaros (no idea how good he'll be), nothing much after that (seriously I think it's Rutkowski)

Removing Ceci creates a hole and they'd have to go out to acquire a RD.

Ryan might have a big salary but he is still a 1st liner and 55-60 pts scorer. RW is the other place Ottawa doesn't have much depth : Stone-Ryan-Lazar-Neil-prospects

RNH Fights for ES and PP ice-time with Turris and Brassard. Pageau role is diminished and his talent is wasted. RNH might end up #3C with a 6.0 millions tag

Big downgrade from Ryan to Yakupov on RW

This trade makes the team worse. I also think Ryan + Ceci > RNH + Yakupov in terms of results and value.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
bump.

So... Any Sens fans change their mind on RNH after his stellar play in the Best on Best.

My vote stays the same. Regarding the OP... Let's make the deal and make RNH an Ottawa Senator.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
bump.

So... Any Sens fans change their mind on RNH after his stellar play in the Best on Best.

My vote stays the same. Regarding the OP... Let's make the deal and make RNH an Ottawa Senator.
Problem is that the Oilers didn't want to do it before and definitely don't want to do it now

Measles

Oct 30, 2015
Calgary
The only way the Oilers move RNH is for a solid RH PMD imo, someone who is at least a solid #3 D-man on a decent contract. Based on his usage in Edm, it's clear McLellan and Chiarelli really value RNH and lean on him for lots of PK and tough defensive matchups. I doubt they would trade RNH for a winger unless it is a significant upgrade coming back. Ryan is at best a lateral move and just makes no sense. The last thing the Oilers need is to roll with McDavid and Draisaitl as their 1C and 2C. One injury and Letestu becomes the 2C and you might as well then flush the season down the toilet.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
bump.

RNH is a better player then Ryan he is a center better at 2 way game and better salary not 1 reason why Oilers do this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad