Proposal: Deal around Bobby Ryan and RNH?

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Management of both teams have already shaken things up during the Summer break, I think they will stick to what they have now. Perhaps the Oilers jump at some miracle transaction that fits them perfectly (RHD) but this isn't it. Edmonton and Ottawa fans seldom do well discussing trades, this one went relatively well though IMO even if both sides won't agree as usual.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Dang, so many posts to quote. Of course, there is so much wrong in this thread (not saying all posts I quoted are wrong)

Rationale was Turris would be better off as a 2C and RNH is an expensive luxury for Edmonton. Bobby Ryan would at least represent a veteran top 6 winger with some decent size but given the chatter in the thread, maybe Ryan would be considered the expensive luxury.

RNH would not play over Turris, nor would he play over Brassard... Those guys are 60 pts centers. In fact, RNH would be very redundant in Ottawa with three 1B centers...

Ottawa will give Ryan and Brassard the chance to have some chemistry, instead of giving up on Ryan after three solid (but underwhelming, in relation to the contract) years, especially since they have to add something here.

2015-16 was the first year Ryan was paid 7.25 per season. He was even underpaid the first 2 years at 5.1 per season. Now it's hard to not be overpaid with a 7.25 cap hit, he has to provide solid all around play and over 60 pts

Oilers decline. Ottawa adds big time.

Calm down with "big time". Ryan's pace the last 2 seasons was 57 pts per 82 games, RNH was 56 pts. The only difference in value is that RNH makes 1.25 less per season. Ryan has 6 years left while RNH has 5 years left, both are UFAs after that, However Ryan will start declining after that.

From a Senator standpoint, we have to add. Perhaps our 1st 2017.

That would be so stupid... Weaker on RW, NO 1st in 2017 and wasting one of Turris/Brassard/RNH. I mean we're fine with Pageau as the 3rd line Center (43 pts last season for not even 1 million). Would You like to have a 56 pts player for 6 millions per season as your 3rd line Center?

Just realized Ryan is in a cap hit of 7.25 for 6 more seasons--he is 29 NUGE is on 6 for 5 more years and is 6 years younger

oilers do not do the deal for those reasons and the oilers have wingers that are better then Ryan--Ryan does not play a head of Lucic, Eberle, and Pool boy and some would say Pouliot plays in front of him as well

You're right that Oilers don't do the deal because of age and contract but you are quick to say the bolded... None of Lucic, Eberle, PoolBoy and lol Pouliot have outscored Ryan last year. He'd definitely be your #1 RW (battle with Eberle) and would score a ton of points with McJesus

I can't see the oilers having any interest unless its Yak+dump for ryan.
whats the going rate for 20-25g/50-60pt wingers with 6 years left @7.25 per? probably not much

You guys are insane. Yes Ryan makes some big coin (you have to pay more to keep players in Canada market with heavier taxes and ****** weather) but stop acting like it would be a cap dump... The guy finished ~top-50 in scoring the last 2 seasons... Yakupov and a DUMP? Are you kidding me? lol

Any deal allowing the sens to get rid of Ryan and his ridicoulous contract is a big win. Getting RNH is a no brainer. But we all know thats not gonna happen unless Sens GM blackmails the oilers GM.

lol you are a Habs fan and always checking in on Ottawa related threads... Where does this obsession comes from? The 2012 humiliation?

Bobby Ryan has been paid 7.25 for ONE YEAR and has produced 56 pts finishing 58th in NHL scoring... There's worse than that in life. And for the record, Montreal has been getting out (buyouts) of "ridiculous" contracts several times before while Ottawa didn't have to. We are fine with Ryan contract, thank you

What exactly would you consider a bounce back season? Last season is the pace he's played at for five straight years now so I think it's safe to say that's who he is and it's extremely unlikely he returns to the player he was in his Anaheim years. This trade would be an absolute no brainer for Ottawa IMO; that contract is going to be an anchor for them very soon. It's a bad contract right now given his current level of play, but it's going to be much, much worse when he inevitably declines in the near future.

Why? Because he is old at 29 years old? :laugh: Listen, good players peak longer. Look at Loui 31 y/o Eriksson and his 63 pts season last year

Last edited:

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Is there a deal to be made with these 2 as the central pieces of a deal?

Oilers might be interested in adding a new winger that can contribute in the top 6 and RNH-Turris-Brassard would represent a very talented and deep top 3 centres. Maybe even Yakupov could be worked into the deal.

Thoughts?

Trading a forward for a forward ... just what Edmonton needs. How about doing something logical and trade RNH for a DEFENSEMAN? That would be something that would benefit Edmonton since you have very few of those.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
lol you are a Habs fan and always checking in on Ottawa related threads... Where does this obsession comes from? The 2012 humiliation?

Bobby Ryan has been paid 7.25 for ONE YEAR and has produced 56 pts finishing 58th in NHL scoring... There's worse than that in life. And for the record, Montreal has been getting out (buyouts) of "ridiculous" contracts several times before while Ottawa didn't have to. We are fine with Ryan contract, thank you

lol someone's triggered. No Ryan has no value at that contract. Same for Nash, who still has value cuz its just 2 years, his contract severely reduces his trade value.

No one and I mean no one will touch Ryan's contract at 7.25M$ AAV for the next 6 (!!!!!) years.

No offense but the guy cant skate, cant back check, fore check, is soft and provides way too little offense for the money he gets.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Ottawa would ask for Ceci plus from Ottawa and have no interest in Ryan for Nugent-Hopkins. Ottawa would not want to trade Ceci and weaken their defence for a 3rd 1b or 2a quality centre because they already have 2 of them.

There is no trade to be had.

Also if I am the Oilers I keep Nugent-Hopkins. You either have a loaded top 6 using him or 3 strong lines if all the centres play centre. I think they shouldn't move Nugent-Hopkins at all. That could be their strength. And with all 3 of McDavid, Draisati and Nugent-Hopkins at centre.. You will have a killer 3rd line and often have positive match ups each game. Plus you can have a sheltered cheap 4th line playing minimal minutes with the top 3 lines eating over 50++ minutes a game easily.

I must say that I'm impressed with this post, I agree 100% with it. :yo:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
RNH is probably more valuable than Ryan by a good bit, but this makes no sense for Ottawa.

First, it would bump Pageau down to the 4th line where his talent would be wasted.
Second, it would move Lazar into a top 6 spot where he has no business at this point, likely destroying his confidence.

From the Sens's point of view, it makes more sense to do something around Yakupov for Ryan. But the cap, Ryan's NTC and Yakupov's low value make that unlikely to work as well.

No to Ryan for Yakupov but a 2nd pick for Yak would be nice.
Yes to RNH for Ryan.

Bumping Pageau down to 4th line makes sense if you can add an offensive player like RNH to take the 3rd line C position. I like the idea of running 3 offensive lines with Turris, Brassard and RNH as the 3 Cs. It would be great to have 3 1B type centers!

If the Senators had some quality talent to staff a 4th line, you could run a 4 line scenario and tire out the other team with speed and offense.

Pageau as 4th line C would obviously need some help as Neil, Kelly and whateverhisname just don't cut it. I don't like players on a third line that have zero offensive skills, which is what Ottawa seems to have in store for the next year's roster.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I would for RNH to the Sens for Ryan if EDM wants to go there. I can't see them doing it but stranger things have happened.

Its very debatable if Turris or Brassard is markedly if any better than RNH.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Pageau as 4th line C would obviously need some help as Neil, Kelly and whateverhisname just don't cut it. I don't like players on a third line that have zero offensive skills, which is what Ottawa seems to have in store for the next year's roster.

I think you were watching the wrong team last year lol... Pageau just had 19 goals, 43 points and led the league in short handed goals. Zack Smith just scored 25 goals and the other spot could go to any of Lazar, Dzingel, Puempel or Paul... Plenty of upside there. Only problem is who could be comfortable on RW?

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Edmonton literally went through 5 years of growing pains with Hopkins, they would never trade him for a declining 29-year-old winger making too much money.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think you were watching the wrong team last year lol... Pageau just had 19 goals, 43 points and led the league in short handed goals. Zack Smith just scored 25 goals and the other spot could go to any of Lazar, Dzingel, Puempel or Paul... Plenty of upside there. Only problem is who could be comfortable on RW?

Pageau and Smith were playing third line last year. My comments related to Kelly and Neil 2016 versions. Putting Pageau with Kelly and Neil would not use Pageau's skills well enough. The Center lineup would be Turris, Brassard, RNH wth Pageau on 4th line.

Oops on my part. I meant to say 4th line last year.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Edmonton literally went through 5 years of growing pains with Hopkins, they would never trade him for a declining 29-year-old winger making too much money.

I agree with you, in the sense that I value RNH higher than Ryan. But Edmonton seems to be in a "win now" position due to the poor performance in the past few years. If I were the Senators, I would make the trade of Ryan for RNH. But that would mean the Senators would have a hole on the RW. But I do value RNH higher than Ryan. Younger, scores about the same. I don't think such a trade will happen.

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011
RNH is younger, plays a more important position, is on a better conctract, produces close to the same as Ryan, and can actually play defense.

Edmonton should have absolutely 0 interest.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Edmonton won't and I think we can all understand why. Also, Ottawa went out and acquired a left-handed playmaker for Ryan, so we need to see how he does this year.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
RNH is younger, plays a more important position, is on a better conctract, produces close to the same as Ryan, and can actually play defense.

Edmonton should have absolutely 0 interest.

What are you talking about? If there's one thing Ryan excels at, it's giving max effort defending as well as (trying to) score.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
After the first couple Flames/Canucks/Sens fans chimed in that this was really bad for Edmonton this should have been closed.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Trading a forward for a forward ... just what Edmonton needs. How about doing something logical and trade RNH for a DEFENSEMAN? That would be something that would benefit Edmonton since you have very few of those.

With Lucic you need to factor in nome scoring elements. Eberle is chesper and better. Ryan got 22 goals last year... so it is not like he packed the net. Also the pool boy... his potential is higher than where ryan is now. Ryan contract is only to get worse

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
As a Senator fan, no. The Senators need Ceci on defence more than Yak at forward who is a risky prospect. I would give a second round pick for Yak.

According to Dreger the Oilers were getting offers of a 3rd round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad