Proposal: Deal around Bobby Ryan and RNH?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Sens take this and run.

All things being equal you take the center over the winger. While RNH may not be the better of the two players right now, he'll probably be the better than Ryan within a couple seasons. RNH is younger, cheaper and will be better sooner rather than later. It's an easy pass from Edmonton's perspective.

Exactly. Ryan, Lazar and a decent prospect for RNH and the Oilers still probably dont do it.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Figured Yakupov doesn't factor into the future and Pulj might not be ready for the NHL this year

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Ryan-Leon-Pulj

Pretty talented and mostly big top 6 but I get where most of the responses are coming from in this thread.

You don't trade RNH because of that.

Ryans contract is a lot riskier than RNH's.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Given age and contract, I would need a significant add from Ottawa to make this work if I were Edmonton's GM (which I should be, but they won't return my calls).

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
You don't trade RNH because of that.

Ryans contract is a lot riskier than RNH's.

Just realized Ryan is in a cap hit of 7.25 for 6 more seasons--he is 29 NUGE is on 6 for 5 more years and is 6 years younger

oilers do not do the deal for those reasons and the oilers have wingers that are better then Ryan--Ryan does not play a head of Lucic, Eberle, and Pool boy and some would say Pouliot plays in front of him as well

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I can't see the oilers having any interest unless its Yak+dump for ryan.
whats the going rate for 20-25g/50-60pt wingers with 6 years left @7.25 per? probably not much

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Is there a deal to be made with these 2 as the central pieces of a deal?

Oilers might be interested in adding a new winger that can contribute in the top 6 and RNH-Turris-Brassard would represent a very talented and deep top 3 centres. Maybe even Yakupov could be worked into the deal.

Thoughts?

My thought's are you didn't take into account what the oilers need.

This is brutal and ottawa adds.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Edmonton declines. Ryan would make their top six ridiculously good, but if Draisatl is playing RW anyways, then it's not even needed.

If Draisaitl is playing RW for an extended period of time Mclellan is an idiot considering the fact that Letestu would then be centering the 3rd line.

Anyway, this trade makes no sense for the Oilers on any level. A cheaper, much younger arguably better player for a much older, more expensive winger. Don't see the logic here.

Something based around RNH and Ceci would make more sense but even then, I don't have much interest and would rather the Oilers hold on to their center depth and Ottawa doesn't have a big need for a top 6 center.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Ottawa doesn't need RNH, Oilers don't need Ryan. Oilers shouldn't consider this to be honest. Rnh is better, younger, better contract and plays the more valuable position. Ottawa would be crazy not to do it even if they don't need RNH though.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Hmm

In conclusion, not my best trade proposal.

No, probably not. But RNH is criminally underrated on these boards. Luckily, we have the World Cup coming so hopefully he'll return to form and show how good he is.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
No, probably not. But RNH is criminally underrated on these boards. Luckily, we have the World Cup coming so hopefully he'll return to form and show how good he is.

Will u give us the Nuge for Petry?? If our second rounder turns into RNH, we would be very happy and gracious and will take it as a sign of good will for future good deals. :D

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Doesn't make sense for Ottawa, who has two similar centers and a very good #3.

It sort of somewhat makes sense for Edmonton, but is not good value and even if Ryan bounces back this season (which I expect in a full season with Brassard), he comes at too high a cap hit for Edmonton to manage.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016

It sort of somewhat makes sense for Edmonton, but is not good value and even if Ryan bounces back this season (which I expect in a full season with Brassard), he comes at too high a cap hit for Edmonton to manage.

Any deal allowing the sens to get rid of Ryan and his ridicoulous contract is a big win. Getting RNH is a no brainer. But we all know thats not gonna happen unless Sens GM blackmails the oilers GM.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Hmm

In conclusion, not my best trade proposal.

After the Oilers picked up Patrick Maroon he had a beast 16 games. 8 goals 6 assists, I don't think I'm the only one looking forward to see what he does in a full season for us.

LW isn't a position Chiarelli is looking to upgrade. Most Oiler fans here are probably content with the forward group going into the season.

If RNH gets traded is either for the obvious RHD, or some sort of upgrade at C. Which isn't likely. He's good offensively and is responsible defensively too. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets more mins than McDavid just for the fact he's more experienced. It would be real hard to replace him and don't see Nuge getting moved anytime in the next few years till both Dr. Drai and Mcdavid get a few more years under their belts.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Nah, I think the Oilers pass here. No offence to Ryan, I think he's a good player but ....

Center depth is a greater luxury to have than having like multiple solid wingers.

Also I mean if Eberle and Ryan are there, then where does Puljujarvi factor in longer term? It just doesn't make much sense.

McDavid-Draisaitl-RNH is a great 1-2-3 down the middle, many teams would kill for that and the Oilers really didn't get to run that at all last year because of injuries.

Not to mention Ryan turns 30 this coming season, whereas RNH turns 24. It's a significant gap as ages 24-31 are usually the peak production years of a forward.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I can't see the oilers having any interest unless its Yak+dump for ryan.
whats the going rate for 20-25g/50-60pt wingers with 6 years left @7.25 per? probably not much

Ryan is overpaid, but he would fetch more than that in a trade.

That said, the OP proposal doesn't work for either team. Value favors Ottawa, but we can't run a team with that many centers.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

From my biased position I would say that it makes a lot more sense for Ottawa than it does for the Oilers. Ottawa at least gets the player with much more value in the exchange, considering contract and age as well, even if they don't need another center. The Oilers lose the trade and weaken their center depth for a winger that they don't really need.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015

What exactly would you consider a bounce back season? Last season is the pace he's played at for five straight years now so I think it's safe to say that's who he is and it's extremely unlikely he returns to the player he was in his Anaheim years. This trade would be an absolute no brainer for Ottawa IMO; that contract is going to be an anchor for them very soon. It's a bad contract right now given his current level of play, but it's going to be much, much worse when he inevitably declines in the near future.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
It's poor value for the Oilers, but terrible player management for Ottawa.

Why would Ottawa want Lazar as a top 6 winger, One of Brassard/Turris/RNH as a 3rd line center, and Pageau as a 4th line C?

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
What exactly would you consider a bounce back season? Last season is the pace he's played at for five straight years now so I think it's safe to say that's who he is and it's extremely unlikely he returns to the player he was in his Anaheim years. This trade would be an absolute no brainer for Ottawa IMO; that contract is going to be an anchor for them very soon. It's a bad contract right now given his current level of play, but it's going to be much, much worse when he inevitably declines in the near future.

I think Ryan could lead our fwds in scoring. 25+ goals, 40+ assists is what I expect from him. I'm not saying his failures were not his own, but a lot of his struggles came from trying to do everything himself and not working well with his teammates. This will be much different with Brassard, I think.

People will give me **** for this, but although Stone is our best forward, who plays most consistently at the highest level, when Ryan is at the top of his game he's still our most dangerous forward. If he can cut down on the extended cold streaks (something he never had to this extent in Anaheim) he is more than a 60 point player. I'm very excited as to what he can do this year.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If Draisaitl is playing RW for an extended period of time Mclellan is an idiot considering the fact that Letestu would then be centering the 3rd line.

Anyway, this trade makes no sense for the Oilers on any level. A cheaper, much younger arguably better player for a much older, more expensive winger. Don't see the logic here.

Something based around RNH and Ceci would make more sense but even then, I don't have much interest and would rather the Oilers hold on to their center depth and Ottawa doesn't have a big need for a top 6 center.

All depends on how Letestu does. If he's doing poorly, then sure. However seeing how Mclellan isn't an idiot, the odds of him having Draisaitl at RW for an extended period of time while Letestu is doing poorly seems pretty slim.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
All depends on how Letestu does. If he's doing poorly, then sure. However seeing how Mclellan isn't an idiot, the odds of him having Draisaitl at RW for an extended period of time while Letestu is doing poorly seems pretty slim.

I've seen enough of Letestu to know he is absolutely not a 3C, he is a 4C who is above-average on the draw. Period.

If McLellan is playing him as a 3C by choice then he is an idiot.

Anyways, as the OP has already admitted, this is a terrible trade for the Oilers... ask the 31 GMs in the league who holds more value today, never mind a few years down the road, and it's 31-0 in favor of RNH. The only time I would consider losing a trade is major team need... and the only major team need for the Oilers today is a RH PMD.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad