Proposal: Deal around Bobby Ryan and RNH?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Is there a deal to be made with these 2 as the central pieces of a deal?

Oilers might be interested in adding a new winger that can contribute in the top 6 and RNH-Turris-Brassard would represent a very talented and deep top 3 centres. Maybe even Yakupov could be worked into the deal.

Thoughts?

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
I don't think either team is interested in this deal.

But, I'd say Ottawa adds.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The last thing the Oilers need is another big money winger.

We've got good center depth for the first time in 10 years, how about we just hang onto it?

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
The last thing the Oilers need is another big money winger.

We've got good center depth for the first time in 10 years, how about we just hang onto it?

This . We moved Hall because we knew we were getting Lucic and Pulju fell to us . If we wanted a winger we would still have Hall and traded lessor pieces for D or went harder after Demers

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Figured Yakupov doesn't factor into the future and Pulj might not be ready for the NHL this year

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Ryan-Leon-Pulj

Pretty talented and mostly big top 6 but I get where most of the responses are coming from in this thread.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Figured Yakupov doesn't factor into the future and Pulj might not be ready for the NHL this year

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Ryan-Leon-Pulj

Pretty talented and mostly big top 6 but I get where most of the responses are coming from in this thread.

Your problem is that the salary cap is a thing that exists.

The Oilers are already in a position where they will probably have to move another forward because the defense still isn't good enough and there isn't enough money to fill the hole without doing so.

MikeModano9

Oct 27, 2011
Tallahassee

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Ryan-Leon-Pulj

I know Ryan is really good at times but I'd almost rather bank on Pouliot as our top 9 LW and keep Nuge.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Your problem is that the salary cap is a thing that exists.

The Oilers are already in a position where they will probably have to move another forward because the defense still isn't good enough and there isn't enough money to fill the hole without doing so.

I know Ryan is really good at times but I'd almost rather bank on Pouliot as our top 9 LW and keep Nuge.

Nuge and Ryan almost cancel each other out.

Yakupov is gone at some point soon. Some of the more expensive bottom 6 contracts and Fayne should disappear in the next 2 seasons, although I guess the stretch may be felt at some point. Ah well.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Ryan-Leon-Pulj

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Pouliot-RNH-Draisatl

Let Puljujarvi get used to the NA game in the AHL playing prime minutes

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Pouliot-RNH-Draisatl

Let Puljujarvi get used to the NA game in the AHL playing prime minutes

I thought Leon was a pretty good centre for the Oilers last year, but I get the mentality.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I also don't think Ottawa would be interested in adding another center in the mold of Turris/Brassard. I'd think they'd want someone more like Draisaitl if they were adding a center, which probably isn't a huge need regardless.

Doesn't make sense on either side.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Edmonton declines. Ryan would make their top six ridiculously good, but if Draisatl is playing RW anyways, then it's not even needed.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The last thing Edmonton needs is another high paid winger. If we're trading RNH, it needs to be for a RHD, and we need to have another solution at 3C as well as I truly hope to have Letestu on the 4th line and Lander as an injury fill in.

I think Ottawa would have had more interest in this deal before bringing in Brassard. Not sure if a Brassard-Turris-Nuge (in any order) lineup of centers would have that great of an impact.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
As an Ottawa Senators fan, I would trade Ryan for RNH and add a second round pick for Yak.

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
RNH is probably more valuable than Ryan by a good bit, but this makes no sense for Ottawa.

First, it would bump Pageau down to the 4th line where his talent would be wasted.
Second, it would move Lazar into a top 6 spot where he has no business at this point, likely destroying his confidence.

From the Sens's point of view, it makes more sense to do something around Yakupov for Ryan. But the cap, Ryan's NTC and Yakupov's low value make that unlikely to work as well.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
RNH is probably more valuable than Ryan by a good bit, but this makes no sense for Ottawa.

First, it would bump Pageau down to the 4th line where his talent would be wasted.
Second, it would move Lazar into a top 6 spot where he has no business at this point, likely destroying his confidence.

From the Sens's point of view, it makes more sense to do something around Yakupov for Ryan. But the cap, Ryan's NTC and Yakupov's low value make that unlikely to work as well.
A simple "No" would do :laugh:

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

oilers lose 6 years, add cap, and lose their main strength (centre depth)

hmmm

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
Oilers don't need wingers, Sens don't need centers. Not a good fit for anyone here.

Pageau is a fantastic 3rd line center, Kelly is (I think) still an adequate 4th line center. RNH is no better or worse than Turris and Brassard, they're all pretty equivalent in the depth charts as low end 1Cs with good but not great offensive and defensive abilities.

Ottawa will give Ryan and Brassard the chance to have some chemistry, instead of giving up on Ryan after three solid (but underwhelming, in relation to the contract) years, especially since they have to add something here.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I could see Edmonton potentially being interested in this IF they were comfortable with who they'd be using as their #3C. However I dont really see why Ottawa would do this. If they hadn't already acquired Brassard, sure it would make a lot of sense. But they did already trade for Brassard... so I'm not sure why they'd go here.

Not to mention that Edmonton with the Hall/Larsson trade seems to really want to take that next step and challenge for a playoff spot. For next season, they likely need RNH to do that. I think they'll be in tough to reach the playoffs next season based solely on how deep the west is, but I can't see them making it without RNH.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad