Deadline buyers and sellers

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
8 days to go till the price tags go up in the deal department around the league.

Always find it interesting what the price tags GM's will pay to go all in at deadline time. Hard to say how many blockbuster type moves will be made this year with how everyone sits standings wise but there always is those 2-3 ones that get done. Ottawa would be one to bolster their lineup as well as Peterborough,Guelph and Saginaw at least from a standings POV.

Having said there there are still a lot of teams that are in the same boat that may or may not make moves till it gets right down to the wire.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Oshawa can sell Serron Noel as a top PF, Nico Gross as a very solid import D and possibly their OA's in Brett Neumann and Kyle McLean if they really want to bring in some heavy assets. I am assuming that they are banking on their OA's as William Ennis and Alan McShane for next year but in reading the Oshawa boards, would moving Giovanni Vallati make sense this year to open up a third OA slot for next year?

Noel will be moved. I personally would keep Gross as he's one of the best D-men in the Eastern Conference and usually you don't get a huge return for imports, but I could see why Hunt would move him.

Neumann/MacLean stay I bet as the OA market is flooded and they are the leaders of the team and Hunt still wants to win a playoff series this year.

Can see Vallati being moved. Unsigned and is probably more likely to stay unsigned than get signed at this point so he's a really good OA candidate for next year (similar to McShane)

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
For Bulitka to be on that list, 30pts in 32 GP, tells us all we need to know of the saturated OA market this year.

Waivers doesn’t mean you can pick him for free like it does in the nhl though. If a team claims him then Sudbury could pull him off waivers and then work out a trade with that team (or Sudbury could say okay you can have him for free, although not sure why they’d do that)

Reactions: TheCoach

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
IMO, too many GM's are confused about what path they should take at this deadline.

The problem - what they see when they look at the standings doesn't match up with what they see when they look at their lineup. Teams like Guelph and Windsor who are the 7th/8th least experienced teams are leading their division/conference........no one expected this to happen.

Teams that were expected to be definite sellers at the start of the season may be selling less or not at all which skews the market. GM's don't know what a fair deal looks like yet.

As fans, it has been a frustrating lead up to the deadline but I'm expecting a whirlwind of activity next week, right up until the last minute.

Reactions: BarberPole9

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
IMO, too many GM's are confused about what path they should take at this deadline.

The problem - what they see when they look at the standings doesn't match up with what they see when they look at their lineup. Teams like Guelph and Windsor who are the 7th/8th least experienced teams are leading their division/conference........no one expected this to happen.

Teams that were expected to be definite sellers at the start of the season may be selling less or not at all which skews the market. GM's don't know what a fair deal looks like yet.

As fans, it has been a frustrating lead up to the deadline but I'm expecting a whirlwind of activity next week, right up until the last minute.

That's a fair assessment, there's a lot more parity in the league standings.

I think every GM is waiting for the shoe to drop, the real puzzling question will be who drops the first shoe and pulls the trigger on the deal front. Naturally the obvious choices would be Guelph, London and Windsor in the west and Ottawa Sudbury, Oshawa in the east.

But with how long the standings are on both sides there teams there's more on the fence teams than there usually is this season that could go either way depending upon how the the weekend and into next week plays out.

12 points separating 1st from 9th in the west has certainly created some interesting new questions for sure as well as the 2 point gap between 5 and 8 in the east, with how the asset management side of the game inches closer to the limitations trade threshold in the coming seasons, I think teams are going to be more hesitant about making blockbuster deals at deadline time and more even up swaps due to the ruling that was introduced last season.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
When did he confirm this :eek: Guelph was one team i thought would stand pat and do alright hmmm

Interview on the radio with Larry Mellot before last night's game. Said that they will know in a couple of days if Phillips will be playing in Guelph or elsewhere. Said they are doing well in thr standings but know things can change, that they are continuing on with their goals for this season/group. Referenced the earlier deals and recouping picks.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Interview on the radio with Larry Mellot before last night's game. Said that they will know in a couple of days if Phillips will be playing in Guelph or elsewhere. Said they are doing well in thr standings but know things can change, that they are continuing on with their goals for this season/group. Referenced the earlier deals and recouping picks.

Good for him and Guelph fans. George knows what he is doing.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
A lot of teams will also be thinking about the playoffs and the money a couple of games will bring in. Ottawa is trying to make a deal but I think Boyd is not going to make any deal that will hurt the team in the long run. Kingston really does not have much to offer. Oshawa is not looking at this year so much as next year.

It is going to take one of the East teams to make a deal and then the other 2 GM/s will see what they want from there.

The OA positions on most of these teams that are competing are already filled so teams are not going to be looking for OA this year.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
For Bulitka to be on that list, 30pts in 32 GP, tells us all we need to know of the saturated OA market this year.
The fact he is on this list at all makes me question what is going on in Sudbury. Comparing his stats to others on team ..it is a bizarre move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad