Movies: DC Universe

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Unsure if JJ is involved in it or not,but worth noting that the role of Jack in Lost was initially offered to Michael Keaton ( and was intended for the character to get killed off in the first episode).

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I'm not watching that. I wouldn't watch a white black panther either. The identity politics in my entertainment can piss off.

Reactions: Voight

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
A black Kal-El? I guess a black Clark Kent? Lol.

Why would it matter what race Clark Kent is portrayed as? The character has never been about his race. He is an alien raised on Earth. White, Black, Yellow, Green, does not matter.

As long as the story is good and the movie entertaining, I do not care what color Clark Kent is.

They changed Nick Fury from White to Black and no one cared.

I'm not watching that. I wouldn't watch a white black panther either. The identity politics in my entertainment can piss off.

I guess you hated Black Panther and Falcon and the Winter Soldier then. In both, identity politics was a huge issue at the center of the story.

I mean, Superman, like Captain America, is a character reeking of identity politics.

So, what you mean is not "the identity politics in my entertainment can piss off" but "the identity politics that does not align with my World view can piss off". I mean, the "well, they cannot have a White Panther" cop out is pretty dumb. Of course they cannot, him being Black is at the core of his identity and always has been. Superman's skin tone was never a topic or a part of his character. Unless you think the perfect American poster boy needs to be White ;)

Acting like real-life issues and entertainment are not intertwined is a weird cop-out.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Why would it matter what race Clark Kent is portrayed as? The character has never been about his race. He is an alien raised on Earth. White, Black, Yellow, Green, does not matter.

As long as the story is good and the movie entertaining, I do not care what color Clark Kent is.

They changed Nick Fury from White to Black and no one cared.

I guess you hated Black Panther and Falcon and the Winter Soldier then. In both, identity politics was a huge issue at the center of the story.

I mean, Superman, like Captain America, is a character reeking of identity politics.

So, what you mean is not "the identity politics in my entertainment can piss off" but "the identity politics that does not align with my World view can piss off". I mean, the "well, they cannot have a White Panther" cop out is pretty dumb. Of course they cannot, him being Black is at the core of his identity and always has been. Superman's skin tone was never a topic or a part of his character. Unless you think the perfect American poster boy needs to be White ;)

Acting like real-life issues and entertainment are not intertwined is a weird cop-out.

I would say Jerry Siegel and Joe Schuster would disagree with you. I just don't see the point in a black Kal-El/Clark Kent. If you want to make a black Superman make him a different character. That's all.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I would say Jerry Siegel and Joe Schuster would disagree with you. I just don't see the point in a black Kal-El/Clark Kent. If you want to make a black Superman make him a different character. That's all.

Jerry Siegel and Joe Schuster built Superman/Clark Kent to be the all-American poster boy. Yes, he is a Kryptonian and he has special powers, but what truly defines him is how he was raised by the Kent. He was raised by them to do good and uphold American ideals. The whole thing is constructed around American values. American values are not inherently White.

Now, of course, since they created the character in the 30s, it is very unlikely that they would have thought that a Black man could portray these values. I am not going to deny that. All I am saying is that changing Superman/Kal-El/Clark Kent's skin tone changes absolutely nothing to the character and what it means. It IS social commentary though and it is part of today's identity politics, yes. Just like it was in the 30s when the character was created. Making him Black is subtext, but it does not change the core of the character.

@KallioWeHardlyKnewYe joked about a Russian Superman and he was referring to the Red Son comic arc. I do not know if you know that arc, but it basically explore who Clark Kent would have been if his spaceship arrived in the USSR. The series showed that it would have shaped him differently. Essentially, that arc confirms my point about Clark Kent being a symbol of American idealism. Making him Black does not change that. It is just more inclusive and, yes, it is social commentary.

Making Superman Black will create much more dialog because he is a stereotype of American values. The principle behind making Sam Wilson Captain America is the same. It works better because the transition is part of the story. Creating a new character from scratch does not achieve the same goal, I think.

I mean, I guess they could add a character to the Superman mythos, they could have a Black Kryptonian replace Kal-El after something happens to him and having to face racism and what not. It could work, but it probably would not be as impactful.

So, to me, at the end of the day, I do not care about Superman's ethnicity. I understand why they do it and I do not think it is inherently a bad idea. I do however acknowledge the business AND "social" risk considering the time we live in.

EDIT: At first, Superman routinely killed the bad guys. It changed because of some regulation (it was before the comic code). So, I guess the creators would not necessarily agree about the "no killing" thing ;)

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
There are innumerable Superman stories in the world and there will be more. I have ZERO problem with creative people taking the basic ingredients and doing something different with it. It doesn't negate anything that came before it and probably isn't going to change anything that comes after. I suspect there's still going to be PLENTY of traditional Superman content in comics and animation and movies. This isn't going to put any strapping, square-jawed white dudes out of work.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The issue that I have is that this isn't what it's meant to be. Racial equality would've been leaving the casting of Superman open to all races and going with the most suitable candidate, regardless of race. It also would've been leaving the director's chair open to all races and going with the most suitable candidate, regardless of race. Instead, Warner Bros. is actually announcing that they're restricting the casting of Superman to only actors of a certain race and the hiring of the director to only directors of a certain race. That's actually racial discrimination, yet we're expected to applaud it. I doubt that many people would be as supportive if their team announced that it would be considering only black players for its 1st round draft pick, instead of selecting the best player available. Like with Byfield becoming the highest-drafted black player ever, if Superman ends up being black, and the director, too, it should be for the right reasons, not because of skin color, IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
In the comics he is. Not sure why they have to make him Kal-El for this.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
There are innumerable Superman stories in the world and there will be more. I have ZERO problem with creative people taking the basic ingredients and doing something different with it. It doesn't negate anything that came before it and probably isn't going to change anything that comes after. I suspect there's still going to be PLENTY of traditional Superman content in comics and animation and movies. This isn't going to put any strapping, square-jawed white dudes out of work.

That's fine. Create a different character than an alt. Kal-El/Clark Kent then.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
The issue that I have is that this isn't what it's meant to be. Racial equality would've been leaving the casting of Superman open to all races and going with the most suitable candidate, regardless of race. It also would've been leaving the director's chair open to all races and going with the most suitable candidate, regardless of race. Instead, Warner Bros. is actually announcing that they're restricting the casting of Superman to only actors of a certain race and the hiring of the director to only directors of a certain race. That's actually racial discrimination, yet we're expected to applaud it. I doubt that many people would be as supportive if their team announced that it would be considering only black players for their 1st round draft pick, instead of selecting the best player available. Like with Byfield becoming the highest-drafted black player ever, if Superman ends up being black, and the director, too, it should be for the right reasons, not because of skin color, IMO.

Positive discrimination is unfortunately a necessary step for change.

That being said, not sure THIS particular issue is a good example of positive discrimination.

Reactions: Jussi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad