Days since Sens Incident

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
There is no chance that this is related to the organization. That is possibly the least professional hack job of all time. I mean, if it came from the team it would have to be from a brand new intern or something...

There is just no way that professional hire would OK something as pathetically obvious as that. It looks like the work of an 11 year old

At face value you'd think so, but then the Colangelo thing happens and you are forced to re-evaluate your expectations.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
And now someone is creating burner accounts to attack The Citizen on Twitter.

Haven't seen a number of our favorite posters in a while . . .

I blocked them all, I guess they have bigger fish to fry than HF boards? I cant say for certain as I cant see if they post here anymore.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
At face value you'd think so, but then the Colangelo thing happens and you are forced to re-evaluate your expectations.

True, but it wasn't exactly amateur hour with him, like this stuff. This is more like the fake accounts that were pinned on Caryk than a professional entity making fake accounts.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
There is no chance that this is related to the organization. That is possibly the least professional hack job of all time. I mean, if it came from the team it would have to be from a brand new intern or something...

There is just no way that professional hire would OK something as pathetically obvious as that. It looks like the work of an 11 year old.

Oh man, every time I get a glimpse of Twitter on here it makes me shudder, what trash. Except for the Vids that SOA posts, those are great, ha!
Well you do have vast experience in running a misinformation campaign, so I do respect your opinion.

Still, given our owners consistent petty and vindictive behavior, I wouldn't put it past him giving the OK to a project like this.

If you don't agree feel free to explain the the difference in professionalism between the twitter bots and the Boro video.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Professional? We're talking about Eugene Melnyk and the Ottawa Senators here, so it wouldn't be a shock to see amateur hour continue.

Yes it really would be.

EM is not in his basement on twitter making multiple accounts. The PR professional did not counsel an employee to make a bunch of cheesy fake twitter accounts posting the same message as teenaged girls. That smacks of some dweeb who is mixing searching for pictures of young hotties with his defence of the team in twitterverse.

The team could afford to pay 5-10 people to actually post things, or as others have alluded, spent money on brining bloggers into the fold so that the message starts to change a bit from the 'top'.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Yes it really would be.

EM is not in his basement on twitter making multiple accounts. The PR professional did not counsel an employee to make a bunch of cheesy fake twitter accounts posting the same message as teenaged girls. That smacks of some dweeb who is mixing searching for pictures of young hotties with his defence of the team in twitterverse.

The team could afford to pay 5-10 people to actually post things, or as others have alluded, spent money on brining bloggers into the fold so that the message starts to change a bit from the 'top'.
Explain the Boro video, if you feel this owner operates on a "professional" level.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Usually when a reporter is going to ask some hard hitting questions or address controversial topics they talk about it before hand with the interviewee so that they can be ready to respond, or know what they're getting into.

The point is not to catch people off guard, but to get a fair response. Asking a critical and unsubstantiated question right at the end of an interview is bush-league. The intent there was not to get an honest answer and to discuss the topic, but to sandbag the interviewee.

Then another anonymous source reveals further quotes after the on-the-record interview is over... Again, more bush-league.

No one is suggesting celebrating EM here, there is little cause to ever these days, but this is not the kind of 'journalism' that we should be celebrating either.

Take a Bath Son

Jan 15, 2018
Yes it really would be.

I agree with you in that it smacks of amateur. However, the issue was dead to everyone except the senators who seemed hell bent on getting that video removed. Average fans were already moving on. The duchene apology was sufficient for me and many others. It was done. So, teenager in the basement with a sole purpose of supporting a legal position of the team, not very likely.

Its someone with a vested interest. Your comment about having some connection to the whole Caryk affair, was, IMHO, quite plausible. I always believed a third party was involved trying to stir it up for some unknown reason.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Yes it really would be.

It was someone likely hired by Melnyk. There's loads of troll farms and bot nets out there to hire for cheap. People do this social media influencing professionally. We've felt their pressence even on HF boards.

Yost even felt that he was targeted by hackers when he was reporting in Melnyk's finances, so this isnt the first time Euegne has used such methods.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Take a Bath Son

Jan 15, 2018
It was someone likely hired by Melnyk. There's loads of troll farms and bot nets out there to hire for cheap. People do this social media influencing professionally. We've felt their pressence even on HF boards.

I also noticed one of the accounts is actually a corner of an istock photo with the watermark removed. too much work for some dude in his basement. @lynngevansm is istock 628814148

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I agree with you in that it smacks of amateur. However, the issue was dead to everyone except the senators who seemed hell bent on getting that video removed. Average fans were already moving on. The duchene apology was sufficient for me and many others. It was done. So, teenager in the basement with a sole purpose of supporting a legal position of the team, not very likely.

Its someone with a vested interest. Your comment about having some connection to the whole Caryk affair, was, IMHO, quite plausible. I always believed a third party was involved trying to stir it up for some unknown reason.

On behalf of the players and coach involved, it is a good thing that the team is trying to get the video off OC, rather than trying to ignore it so it goes away. These are actually people, and employees, that are being negatively affected. Personally I applaud the message that the team is sending the players and coach, and I would imagine that it is appreciated.

As far as Twitter, the legal challenge would not be affected in the slightest by twitter posts, especially childish ones that are clearly from fake accounts. Vested interest doesn't mean the team, especially in twitter land. People in the safety of their homes with bones to pick can do strange things on the internet.

The organization being behind this would be far down on the weird and unnecessary end of the spectrum for sure. There is absolutely zero benefit to the team to do this, not on twitter, and not in the court of anyone's opinions, and there is a colossal amount to lose by being involved in something like this.

Occam's razor applies here.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I hope all you HF posters in Melnyk's pocket can bill overtime this weekend. You're gonna need it.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
On behalf of the players and coach involved, it is a good thing that the team is trying to get the video off OC, rather than trying to ignore it so it goes away. These are actually people, and employees, that are being negatively affected. Personally I applaud the message that the team is sending the players and coach, and I would imagine that it is appreciated.

As far as Twitter, the legal challenge would not be affected in the slightest by twitter posts, especially childish ones that are clearly from fake accounts. Vested interest doesn't mean the team, especially in twitter land. People in the safety of their homes with bones to pick can do strange things on the internet.

The organization being behind this would be far down on the weird and unnecessary end of the spectrum for sure. There is absolutely zero benefit to the team to do this, not on twitter, and not in the court of anyone's opinions, and there is a colossal amount to lose by being involved in something like this.

Occam's razor applies here.
Explain the Boro video...

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

Virtually no one is suggesting the team doesn't have the right to ban OC reporters and show support for the coach/players.

You seem oblivious to the fact that the way they banned Warren was in the most unprofessional, petty, and vindictive manner possible.

You also intentionally ignore the fact that this is a consistent pattern of unprofessional behavior for this owner. (Boro, Bury You, July 1st Lie...etc, etc, etc)

Occam's razor does indeed apply to the Twitter bots situation, but in the opposite direction you propose.

Reactions: FlyingJ

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If we don't have hard evidence to prove these allegations they should not be made or stated as a personal opinion or suspicion & nothing more than that.

Explain the Boro video...

A very poor PR attempt to try & save some STH from jumping ship.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
A very poor PR attempt to try & save some STH from jumping ship.
Please rate the level of professionalism of the Boro video on a scale of 1-10.

And then ask yourself if the moron that concieved, made and then approved this idea would be capable of choosing to hire a troll farm.

Could it be someone else? Absolutely.

But suggesting that Melnyk wouldn't make a decision this moronic is not based on historical precedent.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Please rate the level of professionalism of the Boro video on a scale of 1-10.

And then ask yourself if the morom that concieved, made and then approved this idea would be capable of choosing to hire a troll farm.

Could it be someone else? Absolutely.

But suggesting that Melnyk wouldn't make decision this moronic is not based on historical precedent.

Do you have any evidence to support your stance that EM hired a troll farm? I don't & haven't seen any but is it possible? Anything is possible with that douche bag but without prove we don't convict people in this country.

As far as the video goes, I was fine with it & knew exactly what EM was trying to do & felt sorry for Boro who got put in an unfortunate compromising position by his boss. Not sure what he could have done about that given that he is at the bottom of the latter barely hanging on to an NHL job as it is & probably wants to & needs to hang on to his dream for as long as he can. Blaming Boro as some do is pointless, he's an employee

I also imagine that Boro thought his involvement might help to retain STH and put a few more bums in the empty seats. Most players I think prefer to play in a full house rather than an empty one & if we thought it was bad before when Toronto or Montreal come to town think of what it's going to be like now when the place could have twice as many of their fans as ours. I'm pretty much fed up with all this nonsense that continues to surround this team, I can't stand this owner & haven't for quite some time but I just want to watch & talk hockey now, I've had my fill of all this other crap.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005

There is just no way that professional hire would OK something as pathetically obvious as that. It looks like the work of an 11 year old.

Oh man, every time I get a glimpse of Twitter on here it makes me shudder, what trash. Except for the Vids that SOA posts, those are great, ha!

Ok, thanks Eugene

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yes it really would be.

Lets not pretend this isn't plausible. Even Dorion admitted to being on social media, "until they figured out who i was."

We have a precedent for other "professionals" in Collangelo and Durant, we know twitter, hf, etc. troll farming is a thing, and we have the Boro video, uber spiting, Karlsson lies, Alfiegatex2, etc. as evidence that the organization is capable of such unprofessional things.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sensung
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->