Davidsson called up

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
But why Davidsson? Seems like he's getting outplayed by a number of guys in Belleville. Would be nice to reward strong play.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Nice! Liked what I saw from his in his short stint here. Seems to have 2nd line upside, remains to be seen if he’ll reach that.

I wonder when they decide to call up Balcers for the rest of the season. He should be called up for good by mid-January, imo.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
But why Davidsson? Seems like he's getting outplayed by a number of guys in Belleville. Would be nice to reward strong play.

My guess is they are calling up based on the role they want the player playing. Balcers and Batherson should be no where near 4th line duties, but for guys like Chlapik and Davidsson that's fine.

I have no issues with this as Belleville making the playoffs is more important than icing the best possible team in Ottawa, and Davidsson looked pretty good in his last call-up imo.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

The other guys are on a roll, that might be why. I don’t think anyone wants to disrupt Belleville right now.

I think the team knows what they have with Bath, Ball, and Abramov, and are likely letting them simmer to perfection. Norris and Formenton are really coming along as well, and I think that progression is more important for the year.

Bath in particular likely knows exactly what he needs to do now, and until he shows signs of development in those areas, there is no reason to bring him up. I don’t mean to knock him, but since he don’t need to bring anyone up while we’re tanking, we should make sure that the kids are polished. Effort and determination are big aspects of this team, and NHL games/career is a pretty sweet carrot at this point.

Id like to get a better look at what we have with Davidsson. I can imagine that the pro coaching staff will get a good look at him and have an idea of what kind of player they have in him, what he might be, and what he needs to work on in the AHL, then he’ll likely be sent down again. He’s a little older, and is a guy who could go back overseas, so the team has look at his situation a little differently as there could be a timeline on the players side too. Who knows.

You’ve been very clear about how you feel about my opinions, but I personally would rather see our top kids in Belleville stay there for the rest of the season unless we get some serious injury issues.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Nice!

If Davidsson reaches his potential he will be offensively better than Balcers, Norris, White, Tkachuk, and Formenton, because he has the speed, along with the skill and talent, and can shoot!

He isn't being given proper opportunity in Belleville

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
he is older too so maybe they are trying to figure out what they have in some of their older guys so they can make some decisions. Not all these guys will have space on the NHL team going forward

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
My guess is they are calling up based on the role they want the player playing. Balcers and Batherson should be no where near 4th line duties, but for guys like Chlapik and Davidsson that's fine.

I have no issues with this as Belleville making the playoffs is more important than icing the best possible team in Ottawa, and Davidsson looked pretty good in his last call-up imo.
I don't really see what the difference is between Chlaplik and Davidsson playing 4th line minutes vs Balcers or Batherson tbh. If you want a more traditional 4thine type of guy, I'd go with Abramov to go out there and play a physical pest like game. All those other 4 guys basically do the same thing on a 4th line as depth scorers. Maybe Davidsson offers a bit more on the PK but I doubt he'll get used there.

While I agree that Belleville playoff run is a huge priority for the team, I think what the team is currently doing by calling up the likes of Beaudin, Davidsson etc instead of the big contributors in Belleville, you risk creating a bitter atmosphere that doesn't reward guys who deserve it and might deincentivize them to keep up their play. Maybe by playing worse they could get a NHL spot.

Its been since Brown got the call up that a guy has gotten a call up here who really deserved it at the forward spot. I don't mind if they do this type of thing once in while but its becoming an annoying trend imo. Even throwing guys like Formenton, Batherson, Abramov into 1 or 2 games on a rotation would be a nice bone to throw them.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ottawa only has three right shots on their roster right now C. Brown, White & Pageau & the last two play centre most of the time. And with Ryan out (another right shot) Ottawa has three left shots playing the right side. Hopefully, Davidsson RW turns into the sniper Ottawa has been missing since Hoffman got traded, but that could be difficult on the 4th line.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

I think that is definitely the case

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't really see what the difference is between Chlaplik and Davidsson playing 4th line minutes vs Balcers or Batherson tbh. If you want a more traditional 4thine type of guy, I'd go with Abramov to go out there and play a physical pest like game. All those other 4 guys basically do the same thing on a 4th line as depth scorers. Maybe Davidsson offers a bit more on the PK but I doubt he'll get used there.

While I agree that Belleville playoff run is a huge priority for the team, I think what the team is currently doing by calling up the likes of Beaudin, Davidsson etc instead of the big contributors in Belleville, you risk creating a bitter atmosphere that doesn't reward guys who deserve it and might deincentivize them to keep up their play. Maybe by playing worse they could get a NHL spot.

Its been since Brown got the call up that a guy has gotten a call up here who really deserved it at the forward spot. I don't mind if they do this type of thing once in while but its becoming an annoying trend imo. Even throwing guys like Formenton, Batherson, Abramov into 1 or 2 games on a rotation would be a nice bone to throw them.

Personally, I see a more risk averse game out of Chlapik and Davidsson which lends itself more to a tradition 4th line. Formenton would fit in there too imo. Then there's the Right handed vs Left handed issue, we currently don't have a lot of the former on the big club.

I really disagree about Abramov, he's got more grind to his game, sure, but his two way play isn't to the level most coaches want to see for their 4th line

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Personally, I see a more risk averse game out of Chlapik and Davidsson which lends itself more to a tradition 4th line. Formenton would fit in there too imo. Then there's the Right handed vs Left handed issue, we currently don't have a lot of the former on the big club.

I really disagree about Abramov, he's got more grind to his game, sure, but his two way play isn't to the level most coaches want to see for their 4th line
We have Logan Brown centering Davidsson and Beaudin on our 4th line, we're clearly not looking for a defensive role out of them. Would make way more sense to have Batherson there to deploy in the Ozone and the PP.

Disagree about Abramov though, none of the guys we've discussed here are better two way guys than him.

What this probably boils down to is they're trying to appease Davidsson to stay. He and his agent probably know where he stands in the organization (fairly low down) and they're trying to get him released to Sweden or get traded to somewhere he'll get more opportunity.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Davidsson looked very good (in his role) when he was last called up. I think that coupled with not wanting to mess with the mojo down in Belleville is why.

Davidsson seems very dynamic. I wasn't going to watch the game but now I very well might.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Davidsson looked very good (in his role) when he was last called up. I think that coupled with not wanting to mess with the mojo down in Belleville is why.

Davidsson seems very dynamic. I wasn't going to watch the game but now I very well might.
I don't disagree that Davidsson looked good, I'm merely pointed out that there are a number of guys who deserve to be called up ahead of him.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I think the organization knows what is has in Batherson and Balcers. They want to put guys like Davidsson to the test and see if they have an NHL player here. I think he's a good prospect who could carve out a career as a 3rd liner, maybe even 2nd liner. His combination of speed and shot is pretty appealing.

As for the first year guys (Formenton and Norris) I think the team is just making sure hey have some stability as first year pros. Consistent practice routines should be good for their development.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I don't disagree that Davidsson looked good, I'm merely pointed out that there are a number of guys who deserve to be called up ahead of him.

I think the, "...deserve to be called up ahead of him" is a tough one.

We dont know the teams motivation at all or what they are asking certain players to do in order to grow their game, etc...

There is no denying Balcers was tagged for the big club in camp and has been lights out in the A...Batherson has been very good since being demoted and a handful of players have enjoyed more success than anticipated.

All that said I can't say anyone deserves it more because I don't know the end game. I also think Davidsson caught their eye last time so maybe they want to see how his game has adjusted?

No doubt we see the young and well known players in Ottawa for some games before the season is over.

Reactions: Sen sational

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
The Sens need to get their minor leaguers some cash. Davidsson getting called up for a few games is important a)to get a look and b) because he could have made more money playing in Europe and at some point the Sens probably promised some NHL time/cash to get him here.

AHL teams have to be known as org’s that give kids/players a chance to make more than the minor league $85 000 salary or they won’t sign with them.

Lots of players want to make $2-300 000 playing AHL hockey and they need to get games in the NHL to get close.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I loved his game the last time he was up. I was pretty disappointed when he got sent down as he made that 4th line an actual threat at the time. He was noticeable every single shift and made something happen in the offensive zone every time.

I hope he gets a longer look this time around as I think he is good enough to be a staple on that 4th line for the rest of the season.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
This didnt happen from what I know....But I would like to believe that Troy Mann sat down with Batherson, Abramov, and Balcers told them that this non call up was basically a vote of confidence from upper management that none of these guys are bottom 6 players, now or in their future, and they have a spot (in the top 9) for themselves NHL once some bodies start moving at the TDL.

I dont believe an organization would be so blatantly obviously calling up undeserving players otherwise. This would be the worst possible message to send to the B-Sens boys if management wasn't being fully transparent and open with them about the big picture plan

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
He showed the most out of any of our callups from Bellville tbh, I think he can be a player for us. Had some great high end flashes too, as some others have already noted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad