David Vyborny is currently the most loyal player in the CBJ history

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
At this point Boone Jenner holds the record for most exclusively Jackets games in his career only trailing 20 or so games to Nash for most games played in the organization, but he’s active and technically could still move to another team.

But who holds the record for most NHL games only in CBJ jersey and who either already retired or left the NHL ?

For example, Fredrik Norrena played 100 NHL games and all for the Jackets.

The answer is Davyd Vyborny, an original Jacket, who played 543 games for the franchise and never put on another NHL jersey.

Do you guys think Jenner or Werenski might remain at the club for their entire career and become the most loyal player ?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Jenner's already signed a contract that could last through the end of his career. (Though I hope not!)

Werenski strikes me as the sort who would spend the overwhelming majority of his career here and be forever regarded as a Blue Jacket but possibly end up on other teams when he's old and declining but still pursuing one-year payday contracts.

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
This thread had me at hello.

F7C7C069-17C7-477A-8B0D-60CECED167CA.jpeg

1D071FDC-26FF-4F67-A995-56A3A89ED07C.jpeg

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Loyal is a strange way to frame it. Players get traded or pushed out sometimes against their will or the fans wishes like Bjorkstrand or Calvert. Takes a perfect combo of being great and willing to take paycuts often towards the end of their careers in a flat cap era especially. Goes both ways. Jenner is cheap enough he could do it and Werenski is good enough he could do it but honestly its kind of overrated. If a guy wants to chase a Cup toward the end of their career and the team they are on cant make a realistic run towards that goal I dont blame the player. I dont think anyone thinks any less of Ray Bourque doing it, thats actually one of my favorite moments in the sport seeing Sakic take the Cup to him.

Loved Vborny though, definetly dont have a negative thing to say about that guy. Also one of my early favorites

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Loyal is a strange way to frame it. Players get traded or pushed out sometimes against their will or the fans wishes like Bjorkstrand or Calvert. Takes a perfect combo of being great and willing to take paycuts often towards the end of their careers in a flat cap era especially. Goes both ways.

Loved Vborny though, definetly dont have a negative thing to say about that guy. Also one of my early favorites
Possible ESL is the explanation.

Reactions: Monk

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Possible ESL is the explanation.
Dont think so, literally said put on another jersey. Dont think it was a shot at anyone by the OP or anything silly like that, just pointing out a cool stat but Im just pointing out how hard that is to do even if a player wants it. The buisness has become even more cut throat in the flat cap era

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Dont think so, literally said put on another jersey. Dont think it was a shot at anyone by the OP or anything silly like that, just pointing out a cool stat but Im just pointing out how hard that is to do even if a player wants it. The buisness has become even more cut throat in the flat cap era
Atkinson is a good example of loyal, but put on another jersey. Boll too.

It’s going to be rare nowadays. Probably only HHOF types, or guys who get their jersey in the rafters.

Werenski might be a guy who has a chance to be a Jacket forever though.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Atkinson is a good example of loyal, but put on another jersey. Boll too.

It’s going to be rare nowadays. Probably only HHOF types, or guys who get their jersey in the rafters.

Werenski might be a guy who has a chance to be a Jacket forever though.
Might not even be those guys. Might be more fluky than anything.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I don’t think we’ve had many true examples of loyalty in this business. I guess I’d say Jenner? Aside from the obvious, he’s always taken contracts far below what he would command on the open market. Buts he’s never even let himself get close to that point. And now that he may have thrown himself on a grenade to try and spare his new coach that he hardly knows?

Games played isn’t a metric I don’t think should necessarily be used to try and measure loyalty in this business. I think it’s about financial decisions. Taking less, committing more.

I would also say Cam Atkinson. Still pretty shocked how they just traded him away the way they did. I don’t believe it’s something he wanted at all.

Bobcat205

addicted to the grind
Sep 22, 2023
your local KFC
Vyborny was before my time as a fan, but from the film i've watched, he was a great player. Definitely deserved a proper captaincy had Nasher not been there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad