David Stern passes away

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Ruled with an iron fist but completely transformed the league.

The marketing of MJ is what really propelled the NBA (and the game of basketball in general) in to a global league/presence.

Silver pales in comparison to him (IMO one of Silvers problems is he tries to be buddies with the players instead of their boss the way Stern was)

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
What's so good about the NBA? The rich people are getting richer, while the tickets are barely affordable.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Stern deserves major credit for rise of NBA alongside MJ

Both were what NBA needed at time to transform league into worldwide force

Only blemish on Stern resume to me is how he handled Seattle situation

I would say that Bird and Magic saved the NBA then Jordan brought it to another stratosphere.
Stern deserves full credit for his ability to market the product and growing the game internationally which really fueled the growth of the league. Best commissioner in sports in the modern era.

Reactions: donghabs98

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
Just because hes been dead a long time does not diminish what he did while commissioner.
How he handled the Black Sox scandal was literally the only good thing he did as commissioner. And I give more credit to the emergence of Babe Ruth as what saved baseball in the years following the scandal than what Landis did. If you want to point out a great baseball commissioner, the top candidates would be Happy Chandler and Bowie Kuhn.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
the NBA wouldn't be what it is today if it wasn't for him
Partially

Let's not forget he came at the right time

If it wasn't for Magic and Bird on a national level, and the Dream Team (not MJ) on the global level he would have done jack and shit

And don't get me started on the long list of games fixing that happened during his tenure

BUT I do appreciate the fact that he was against sponsors/ads on jerseys and I liked his trolling during the NBA draft - at least he had a personality unlike Silver

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->