Prospect Info: David Sklenicka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl182

Mar 31, 2019
A lot of the guys you mention have to be re-signed, like Kulak, Reilly, Folin, Lernout and maybe Ouellet (?). None of the LHD prospects you mention have been signed. So while I understand your general point, that Sklenicka will probably be buried, it is quite likely that he will not be buried by the players you are mentioning here. It is certainly possible that Walford or Tyszka get signed but then are not as good next year as Sklenicka - I don't think either of those two guys are a) certain to be signed or b) certain to be better than Sklenicka.

Well we already have Mete and Alzner signed on the left side. I think Ouellet will resign, going through waivers not being claimed and being named captain of Laval. I think at least 2 of Kulak, Benn and Reilly will sign, if we dont sign any free agents, but the upcoming LD UFAs market is really thin. I really hope they give Walford and Tyszka contracts, and play in the AHL under Bouchard. For Harris I know he will still be with Northeastern at the end of Sklenicka's contract, same thing with Romanov in the KHL. And on the right side we have we have Weber, Petry, Juulsen, Brook, Fleury and even Lamarche (AHL contract) under contract next year. Yet, a lot can happen in the off season, I think we will only see him in a secondary role in the AHL and he will go back home after his contract.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Well we already have Mete and Alzner signed on the left side. I think Ouellet will resign, going through waivers not being claimed and being named captain of Laval. I think at least 2 of Kulak, Benn and Reilly will sign, if we dont sign any free agents, but the upcoming LD UFAs market is really thin. I really hope they give Walford and Tyszka contracts, and play in the AHL under Bouchard. For Harris I know he will still be with Northeastern at the end of Sklenicka's contract, same thing with Romanov in the KHL. And on the right side we have we have Weber, Petry, Juulsen, Brook, Fleury and even Lamarche (AHL contract) under contract next year. Yet, a lot can happen in the off season, I think we will only see him in a secondary role in the AHL and he will go back home after his contract.

I don't see Reilly being back, the team clearly has no trust in him.

Benn it's hard to say if they will give him what I assume he will try to get as a UFA, it could be his last shot at decent contract and he's tied his career high in points so I could see him trying to get a 3 or 4 year deal and I'm not sure the Habs will want to do that or not. Guess we'll see.

Kulak should be the 6th/7th D next year if we can improve the D.

I assume Ouellet will be back in Laval with Alzner.

Walford and Tyszka we have to wait and see what the plans are for them. Sign them or not, maybe they sign one, maybe they have one in the WHL again or in the ECHL.

Carl182

Mar 31, 2019
I don't see Reilly being back, the team clearly has no trust in him.

Benn it's hard to say if they will give him what I assume he will try to get as a UFA, it could be his last shot at decent contract and he's tied his career high in points so I could see him trying to get a 3 or 4 year deal and I'm not sure the Habs will want to do that or not. Guess we'll see.

Kulak should be the 6th/7th D next year if we can improve the D.

I assume Ouellet will be back in Laval with Alzner.

Walford and Tyszka we have to wait and see what the plans are for them. Sign them or not, maybe they sign one, maybe they have one in the WHL again or in the ECHL.

Still it leaves Sklenicka on the AHL third pair behind Ouellet and Alzner if Walford and Tyszka need time in the ECHL and we dont sing anyone expect Benn and Kulak, not a lot of opportunitys. I feel like Reilly will be out too.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Still it leaves Sklenicka on the AHL third pair behind Ouellet and Alzner if Walford and Tyszka need time in the ECHL and we dont sing anyone expect Benn and Kulak, not a lot of opportunitys. I feel like Reilly will be out too.

Sklenicka played most of the year on the 3rd pair this year, plus there will be injuries so when guys get called up he can move up if need be. He's more of a steady, stay at home type that you can count on when the game is tight but since he doesn't bring much offense he will always be a bottom pairing type. I just think he could have some upside if he can work on his offensive game a bit over the next 2 years or so.

Carl182

Mar 31, 2019
Sklenicka played most of the year on the 3rd pair this year, plus there will be injuries so when guys get called up he can move up if need be. He's more of a steady, stay at home type that you can count on when the game is tight but since he doesn't bring much offense he will always be a bottom pairing type. I just think he could have some upside if he can work on his offensive game a bit over the next 2 years or so.

Really hope you are right but I think he is out after his contract, looking at the D prospect pool and current situation in Laval and Montreal.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Really hope you are right but I think he is out after his contract, looking at the D prospect pool and current situation in Laval and Montreal.

I wouldn't look that far ahead, just wait and see what moves are made by camp, see how the year goes and then we will have a better idea of what the next year will look like for the D in both Laval/Mon.

Reactions: Carl182

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“It was harder than I expected... It's very hard, a lot of players. Over 60 new players were in the camp. The core of the team remained more or less the same from the previous season. I think I wasn't even close to been called up.”

“I hope it's just getting better and that chance comes to me. I'm still fighting for it. Although you never know of course. I hope to return to Montreal at the end of August. I still've a contract for a year. I certainly didn't come over there with an exaggerated expectation that I'd play NHL directly on my first year. So I'm not too tired in my head. On the team, we had a coach (Bouchard) who was excellent on the details. I believe that I have moved in a variety of little things and will be able to use it on my games.”

“At the beginning, Moravcik helped me a lot. That was more than an advantage for me. I couldn't speak English at all. He translated me what the coaches saying Of course, I wasn't glad he left. But at least I learned better this language.”

“We already knew about five games before the end (2019's AHL PO). We just waited until when we could go home. When the games ended after the season we flew the next day.”

“I got a plan for the summer... What should I do to get better prepared and move on. Especially, I've to work to get a better deal of that big game (AHL). Basically, every week, we were playing like three times on four days. At the team, they told me that it wasn't that bad for my first season. My first and two month here I had no choices to get used to hockey in North America. There are more fights on the ice rink. This is the only major difference from European hockey. ”

WC 2019: “To be honest, I didn't count much on that. I'm just glad I can fight to get my spot. I certainly have no promised nomination. I've to fight for that. Let's see how long I stay here. My desire is huge. Every Czech hockey player wants to go to Slovakia.”

Reactions: EXTRAS

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Didn't see any of his WC games but sounds like he played well defensively from reading the Czech WC thread on the tournaments board. In the 13 games he played between the WC and Euro tour, he was a +9 but was only a minus player in one game.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Didn't see any of his WC games but sounds like he played well defensively from reading the Czech WC thread on the tournaments board. In the 13 games he played between the WC and Euro tour, he was a +9 but was only a minus player in one game.

His vision and passes were exceptionnaly good. Not sure if it was because of the ice surface, but I was impressed by it.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

On D he was fine,but expected a bit more on the offensive side. Don't think he will earn a spot for the Habs ever.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
With Ouellet and Leskinen signed I could see Sklenicka being released after training camp. I expect we will sign another two LD this off-season. One top 6 (hopefully top 4) to replace Benn and a #7-8 type (Olofsson?) as I don't think the management feels comfortable with Alzner or Ouellet in that role. So we will have one #7-8 going down to Laval (Folin, Olofsson, or perhaps Juulsen) and Ouellet, Alzner, Fleury, Brook and Leskinen. That's basically top 6 and they still have Lamarche signed in Laval. Barring injuries or trades, Sklenicka may find himself out of the lineup and I don't see ECHL being an exciting option for him.

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
With Ouellet and Leskinen signed I could see Sklenicka being released after training camp. I expect we will sign another two LD this off-season. One top 6 (hopefully top 4) to replace Benn and a #7-8 type (Olofsson?) as I don't think the management feels comfortable with Alzner or Ouellet in that role. So we will have one #7-8 going down to Laval (Folin, Olofsson, or perhaps Juulsen) and Ouellet, Alzner, Fleury, Brook and Leskinen. That's basically top 6 and they still have Lamarche signed in Laval. Barring injuries or trades, Sklenicka may find himself out of the lineup and I don't see ECHL being an exciting option for him.

Very possible he will be the odd man out. This is why adding depth in your organization is a positive.

For what it's worth, Sklenicka adapted well to the North American style. But he doesn't have a guaranteed spot. He'll have to earn his spot like he did last season.

And should he refuse to report to ECHL if he is sent there, then that would be it for him, too.

Reactions: Archijerej

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
LD David Sklenička is a steady two-way defender with all-around average skills. He can break out using his smooth skating stride or make short quick passes to get out of the defensive zone. He has some decent vision and offensive flair as he doesn’t force certain plays and stays patient even in close situations. He’ll read the play and anticipate safe opportunities to pinch in to extend the offensive zone time. He’s got a good slapshot and a decent overall release that could be improved. He showed he can be physical when called upon especially in front of the net clearing the opposing players.

Notes: Habs Prospects in Laval

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad