Prospect Info: David Sklenicka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
My understanding is that he’s the better of the two Czech’s we signed. Even though he’s smaller, he’s physical and moves the puck extremely well. Even though he’s a RH’d he plays the left side.

I think he’d have the best chance of breaking into the lineup in case of injury or if he outshines Mete in camp.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
My understanding is that he’s the better of the two Czech’s we signed. Even though he’s smaller, he’s physical and moves the puck extremely well. Even though he’s a RH’d he plays the left side.

I think he’d have the best chance of breaking into the lineup in case of injury or if he outshines Mete in camp.

Pretty sure he shoots left.

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
First time I can watch him closely and this guy just climbed my depth chart like a rocket.
Fast skater with very quick legs, he moves the puck quickly and he's not shy to join the rush, has a very effective stick and has also a warrior attitude, play physical and throwing his body in front of shots without hesitation.

He is only 22 and he is already perfectly molded for today's NHL. No doubt in my mind that he is going to be a regular pretty soon.
He only needs to enhance his gap a little and temper some aggression moves, but I have him now very close of LD3 spot, behing Mete and Reilly.

Time in Laval won't hurt his progression for sure but if he continues this way he won't stay there very long.
I will keep a close eye on this quick reckless young dman.
Nice grab by the Habs.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
First time I can watch him closely and this guy just climbed my depth chart like a rocket.
Fast skater with very quick legs, he moves the puck quickly and he's not shy to join the rush, has a very effective stick and has also a warrior attitude, play physical and throwing his body in front of shots without hesitation.

He is only 22 and he is already perfectly molded for today's NHL. No doubt in my mind that he is going to be a regular pretty soon.
He only needs to enhance his gap a little and temper some aggression moves, but I have him now very close of LD3 spot, behing Mete and Reilly.

Time in Laval won't hurt his progression for sure but if he continues this way he won't stay there very long.
I will keep a close eye on this quick reckless young dman.
Nice grab by the Habs.
I've noticed Sklenicka is at times too eager to jump to the attack, which causes him to pinch at the wrong moment. However, he's agile, he's got a good first pass and for his size, he's not afraid to throw a hit. I'll definitely keep an eye on his development and usage in the AHL, as I believe he can turn out to be a serviceable NHL defenseman. I'm a fan.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I haven't really seen much of his shot (if he has one) but I like his upside. Could be a Pysyk type of D.
He's okay I guess, defensively he does everything at an acceptable level and he can pass the puck and skate just fine. Nothing better than average but if everything is average then he's good enough to play in the NHL in some capacity. He's better than Benn at the very least.

Reactions: Chris Cutter

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I was more impressed with him in the Red/White game than last night but Valiev struggled a lot early in his own end which put Sklenicka in a bad spot. He still recovered well and I think he'll be either a high end AHL player, or a depth Hab. Either way, fair to say he has more upside than I thought. He is suited to today's NHL. One of about a dozen who are better than Benn.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Liked what i've seen from him, he's got a solid physical game despite not being the biggest guy. Going to be interesting to see how much he can progress in the next few years in Laval. His hip check last night was a thing of beauty.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Liked what i've seen from him, he's got a solid physical game despite not being the biggest guy. Going to be interesting to see how much he can progress in the next few years in Laval. His hip check last night was a thing of beauty.
Did the other Czech get scratched last night?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Who is the best dman in Laval so far?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's likely one of our least talked about prospects but I have to say I have liked him, he's been a solid stay at home type physical and good in his own end. I am working on my season ending top 20 and while it doesn't look like he'll make the list, he wasn't too far off from making it. I'll be very interested to see what happens to him next year, if he can progress or not.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He's likely one of our least talked about prospects but I have to say I have liked him, he's been a solid stay at home type physical and good in his own end. I am working on my season ending top 20 and while it doesn't look like he'll make the list, he wasn't too far off from making it. I'll be very interested to see what happens to him next year, if he can progress or not.

Even the AHL needs depth players and he is a good player to have on your third pair. It's funny because at training camp, Moravcik stuck around with Montreal longer so initially, you think that Moravcik is adapting better than Sklenicka.

But once they were both in Laval, you started to notice Sklenicka more. And he was getting a lot more acclimated to the North American style than Moravcik.

Carl182

Mar 31, 2019
I have not followed the Rocket as moch as I hoped but for me he is behind Mete, Kulak, Reilly and Ouellet on the left side. I could put Alzner too, he is not that bad in the AHL with his expérience and work ethic. We also have Walford ans Tyszka coming next year. Romanov with great développement so far and Harris in the NCAA. I don't see any room for him...

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I have not followed the Rocket as moch as I hoped but for me he is behind Mete, Kulak, Reilly and Ouellet on the left side. I could put Alzner too, he is not that bad in the AHL with his expérience and work ethic. We also have Walford ans Tyszka coming next year. Romanov with great développement so far and Harris in the NCAA. I don't see any room for him...

he can also play the right side and we have to wait and see what they do with Tyszka and Walford, they need to be signed first and then we need to see where they plan on playing them.

Carl182

Mar 31, 2019
he can also play the right side and we have to wait and see what they do with Tyszka and Walford, they need to be signed first and then we need to see where they plan on playing them.

Still I dont think we will see him with the big club, and the right side with Weber, Petry, Fleury and Brook. There is also Juulsen who will take time in the AHL next season acter huis injury, and there is Folin and Lernout (I like his "tools" but he has poor hockey sens). Not a lot of room either.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Still I dont think we will see him with the big club, and the right side with Weber, Petry, Fleury and Brook. There is also Juulsen who will take time in the AHL next season acter huis injury, and there is Folin and Lernout (I like his "tools" but he has poor hockey sens). Not a lot of room either.

also have to see what moves are made, Sklenicka won't be in the NHL any time soon, my point is that since he can play both sides, and he's played well this year he'll get his time in next year depending on the roster. who knows what trades will be made, what players will be re-signed or not.

Reactions: Carl182

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal

A lot of the guys you mention have to be re-signed, like Kulak, Reilly, Folin, Lernout and maybe Ouellet (?). None of the LHD prospects you mention have been signed. So while I understand your general point, that Sklenicka will probably be buried, it is quite likely that he will not be buried by the players you are mentioning here. It is certainly possible that Walford or Tyszka get signed but then are not as good next year as Sklenicka - I don't think either of those two guys are a) certain to be signed or b) certain to be better than Sklenicka.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad