David Shantz

Pilot

Aug 2, 2005
What are your thoughts on this young netminder ?

He is having a good season on a good team, a strong rebound from an off year in 04/05.

Does he have the potential to be a starter, career backup ?

Please provide some insight into his strenghts and weaknesses.

Cheers !

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Hmmm. After the big IceDogs run in his draft year, I got on the Shantz bandwagon big time, liked what I heard about his smarts and character, and ended up picking him near the top of the 2nd round in my FHL.

But watching him the past two years, I've been getting worried, because it just doesn't look to me like his game is progressing at all. When a 17-year old goalie looks like he needs to work a bit on his fundamentals - angles, positioning, rebound control esp. - but still makes incredible stops, it's not such a big deal: he's likely to refine his technique in the years to come, especially when he's hyped to be a really bright guy.

But a couple years down the road, I'm not convinced he has done much to improve. He's capable of having a really big game when his luck is on, but he's also capable of getting shelled when all the little loose ends in his technique are exposed. Consistency is a huge issue, and while I'm thinking it's technically related, perhaps there is an underlying concentration issue as well, I have no idea.

Generally speaking, then, despite good-ish numbers on a good team in Peterborough this year, I don't think Shantz' stock is improving much. It went down hard in his second year when Ouzas stole his job, and it's a huge break for Shantz that he landed in Peterborough, but I still think he's got a lot of question marks around him.

It's pretty hard to predict which goalies outside of the elite will progress as pros, but I guess the odds would make you think that Shantz at this point does not look like an NHL goaltender at all, starter or backup. But who knows what a few years of pro seasoning will do for him. He's a natural goalie, but it seems like he's really going to have to get more serious about it and really apply himself if he wants to turn things around. Some guys do that successfully. Others, the grind of the pros is just that much tougher to handle. I have no idea which way Shantz will go. Definitely has an uphill battle, though.

Pilot

Aug 2, 2005
Do you think a strong play-off run will help him ... ?

Finally someone answered ... maybe he is a bit of an unknown ?

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Pilot said:
Do you think a strong play-off run will help him ... ?

Finally someone answered ... maybe he is a bit of an unknown ?

We were all high on him in his draft year, and when we picked him we really thought it was a potential steal. However, he hasn't developed as hoped and is no longer a top goalie prospect. Panthers see him as backup potental right now, with Tyler Plante as the better of our goalie prospects (he is underated).

This is his last season in Juniors, and i'd expect him start of in the ECHL as the panthers are joint affliated with the Sabres in Rochester and i'd be suprised if Shantz was up to making the AHL next season.

Pilot

Aug 2, 2005
The joint affilate seems to have a lot of downfalls.

Who is going to beat him out for the job in Rochester ?

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Pilot said:
The joint affilate seems to have a lot of downfalls.

Who is going to beat him out for the job in Rochester ?

lol no idea, but im not knowledgable on whether Buffalo has any goaltending prospects but this season vets were used. Shantz will start with the Florida everblades in the ECHL, and i guess try and work his way up to the AHL.

Pilot

Aug 2, 2005
Mike Leighton & Jean-Marc Pelletier were used this season, and neither is going to make the jump. Buffalo really doesn't have anyone who could step in and replace either, except Adam Dennis.

Seems like he would most likely be making the best of the ECHL as well.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Pilot said:
Mike Leighton & Jean-Marc Pelletier were used this season, and neither is going to make the jump. Buffalo really doesn't have anyone who could step in and replace either, except Adam Dennis.

Would seem the most likely outcome. The Panthers use the Everbaldes of the ECHL quite alot this season with their lesser prospects. Guys like Lojek, Tuma who are all minor prospects in reality have been seasoned in the ECHL. In a way its an advantage as the Everblades are close to the panthers, meaning the prospects can be watched easily.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Pilot said:

According to the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle, Pelletier is under contract for next season, Leighton's RFA. There might be a spot available depending on what Buffalo wants to do. Adam Dennis needs to be considered but I'd imagine he's going to be in a position where he has to earn a contract in training camp, the Sabres have used that policy in the past. Maybe there'll be a spot in Rochester but it'd mean two Panthers goalies so I'd say it's unlikely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->