Player Discussion: David Savard

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Realize it was a good move? Savard has played a lot more than 10 games for us, and I can count on one hand how many good games he’s had for us. He was brought in to be the number 3 or 4, and he hasn’t performed consistently enough.
Whatever maybe you guys will catch on eventually. He's been a solid D man

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
He had his best game last night. Still made some poor decisions with the puck but a lot of our guys did. But he was more active and was being effective with it too. He could have had a goal or two yesterday and that could have made a huge difference in that game. We had some looks yesterday it wasn't a complete trash game but we definitely need to be better.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
The slower more defense and structure oriented play style of the Isles certainly is where he can shine and does well. That said, he was getting exposed as soon as the opponent and the Lightning switched to a fast paced north south offensive game.

Again he’s solid now. But Rutta is solid too and didn’t cost a first and won’t be gone next season. Savard is far from a key piece. He is comfortable and reliable in this series - but while Cernak does the heavy lifting.

TL;DR: He’s good against a team like the Isles but hasn’t lived up to expectations (#1/2RD) and probably won’t (with us).

Last edited:

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I think he's been great this series. A heavy body, he's had a few rushes and is maybe a little more comfortable with the system and this Islanders matchup that doesn't rely on too much speed north to south.

He's not even the one im worried about on that 3rd pair. Serg has been awful.

Reactions: NatoGhost

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
I'll Keep it going. Another great game by Savard.

Still waiting on Ya'll who said I was an idiot

Not saying you're an idiot. I will say he's steadily improving with each opponent. However, these opponents that he's showed improvement against will not be in our division next season. I don't find it odd that his improvement has come as the game's slowed down, as also mentioned above.

So the best I'm hoping for is lessening the sting of a 1st rounder.

Reactions: DFC and Coopers Gum

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Not saying you're an idiot. I will say he's steadily improving with each opponent. However, these opponents that he's showed improvement against will not be in our division next season. I don't find it odd that his improvement has come as the game's slowed down, as also mentioned above.

So the best I'm hoping for is lessening the sting of a 1st rounder.
What are you talking about? the Islanders are extremely fast on the forecheck and so are the Hurricanes. Savard has been great, the move was brilliant.

Imagine having Schenn or Foote out there.....

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
What are you talking about? the Islanders are extremely fast on the forecheck and so are the Hurricanes. Savard has been great, the move was brilliant.

Imagine having Schenn or Foote out there.....

The Isles really don't play the kind of up tempo game that slow defenders struggle with though. Savard has to cover much less ice when the Isles are forechecking as opposed to rushing up ice. I don't think it's a coincidence that he's been a lot better in a series that's full of clutching and grabbing.

Reactions: Coopers Gum

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Not sure what you're looking for.

He was playing like shit we were unhappy and now hes been playing good and were happy.
I told everyone he will be fine and it will be a good acquisition, Everybody said he's garbage and shit on me, that it was the worst trade ever.

You all judge players way too quick, He's playing deadly.

What do I want? Give the player some credit and give JBB some credit for the move. It was brilliant.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Yep. This. He used to be bad. Which is why we criticized. Now he’s turned it around. Yay.
Na you guys didn't just criticize his play. People were saying it was one of the worst moves ever and that he's a horrible player. There was rioting in the streets for a bit around here.

I just want credit where credit is due, It's going to prove to be the best deal of the deadline. He's a horse

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
We wouldn't win the cup without him, so you are welcome!

No one else is giving him credit around here so...

I think people were surprised how bad he looked at first. And obviously we paid a lot to get him and since he's the 1 lineup change all fans eyes are on him. And he stood out in a bad way. Some posters were over the top criticizing him, true. Par for the course on the internet though, or just in today's society really.

That being said it's a new system and hasn't he played for Columbus his whole career? So there were obvious growing pains and adjustments to be made coming to a new city / organization / system so we were probably a bit hard on him... But some of it was deserved.

I'm truly glad he seems to have settled in and is playing much better. It seems like a solid addition at this point.

I think it could still be argued some of the other cheaper options might have been as good or maybe even better value pick-ups... but it's hard to say for sure.

Looking forward to hopefully winning a cup with Savard this year! That makes it all worth it. Even getting to the final like now is impressive. And he's played a significant part lately.

It's such a team game and you need all your horses pulling.

As a side note I think Schenn has been very good for us too. And gets bumped out of the lineup, doesnt complain, comes back in plays hard. He deserves some love too.

Let's win another cup!

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
How did he suck for a long time? He wasn't playing like he is now but he wasn't trash either. It didn't help he was playing with Hedman who was dogshit down the stretch. He was playing like he did the past season and a half in Columbus which was just average, I guess people were expecting Seth Jones. He's definitely elevated his play the last couple of rounds. The trade was a win win.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
I told everyone he will be fine and it will be a good acquisition, Everybody said he's garbage and shit on me, that it was the worst trade ever.

You all judge players way too quick, He's playing deadly.

What do I want? Give the player some credit and give JBB some credit for the move. It was brilliant.

Reserving judgement is a rare quality these days.

Overracting and exaggeration are so common it's truly annoying.

That being said you're pushing pretty hard the other direction.

"It'll be fine and good acquisition" im good with.

Wouldn't call his play deadly nor would I call the trade for him Brilliant. Although i will give JBB credit for the cap retention side of that trade. That was smart for sure.

Also can't put him at the top of the "most important players and why were in the cup" list either. But he's played a role and continued to improve for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad