Player Discussion: David Savard

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Should've went for Hakanpaa or Montour, who went to our division rivals and are excelling...

Targeting Savard was purely going on name recognition.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
He’s gotten better every game. He’s a playoff defenseman, give it time people.

We all know how much different playoff hockey is and he’s the definition of it.

Savard has been fine

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Should've went for Hakanpaa or Montour, who went to our division rivals and are excelling...

Targeting Savard was purely going on name recognition.
Right... It had absolutely nothing to do with us playing the Jackets twice in the playoffs and us getting a first hand look at the guy.

He’s the definition of a playoff defenseman. Your comment doesn’t hold water.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
He’s been solid after his first couple of games, and he’s usually been very good in the playoffs. I also think the plan when trading for him was to re-sign him anyway, to balance out what has been a mediocre to average right side most of the year. The Lightning have rarely ever traded a big price for a rental that they then didn’t re-sign, at least not during the Yzerman-JBB regime anyway.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Right... It had absolutely nothing to do with us playing the Jackets twice in the playoffs and us getting a first hand look at the guy.

He’s the definition of a playoff defenseman. Your comment doesn’t hold water.

Yeah him being ass all year in Columbus and with us has no merit over a playoff run 2 years ago. Get real.

Savard was good in last year's playoffs? Do you have anything to back that up because his numbers are horrendous and he was on the for 13 ES goals against in 10 games, kind of like his play right now.

Last edited:

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.

Savard has been fine
It will be a solid top 4 next year of Hedman, Serg, Cernak, Savard, with Foote/Rutta/Schenn for 3RD and depth, with a vet ufa signing and Claesson for 3LD/depth. I mean it's basically lose 3 top 9 F, keep McD, and have another bad year on the right side, or move McD, keep Savard, and maybe only lose 2 top 9 F depending on how well JBB can negotiate. I'd rather take my chances with the latter scenario.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven

Savard has been fine

He better have a Hedman-esque playoff performance otherwise he can go back to Columbus this summer now that Tort's is gone. I don't see what you're seeing. He looks lost on half his shifts, he's not getting acclimated as fast as I hoped, and I can count on one hand the amount of plays where he's shown any semblance of "shut down".

Let me put it another way. When we first got him, I ran a few scenarios over on CapFriendly in what it would take to re-sign him over the summer. Expecting that Savard. I have since deleted them both.

Hope he proves me wrong.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Dude can walk as a UFA if he can't give us any better. I'm not gonna get pissy with JBB for trading for a guy likely to be a pure rental but believed to be a fit. Savard himself not executing at the level neither he nor the team was hoping for is not on anyone else but him.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Yeah him being ass all year in Columbus and with us has no merit over a playoff run 2 years ago. Get real.

Savard was good in last year's playoffs? Do you have anything to back that up because his numbers are horrendous and he was on the for 13 ES goals against in 10 games, kind of like his play right now.
Ya the eye test. What do you want? Some stupid numbers on a chart

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
He better have a Hedman-esque playoff performance otherwise he can go back to Columbus this summer now that Tort's is gone. I don't see what you're seeing. He looks lost on half his shifts, he's not getting acclimated as fast as I hoped, and I can count on one hand the amount of plays where he's shown any semblance of "shut down".

Let me put it another way. When we first got him, I ran a few scenarios over on CapFriendly in what it would take to re-sign him over the summer. Expecting that Savard. I have since deleted them both.

Hope he proves me wrong.

remember Goodrow and Coleman looked bad when they first came. I guess this will all he judged on his cap number if he re signs...

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
He doesn't look very comfortable at times. There's a big jump from being chained to his own goal posts in Columbus, to how active and involved the Lightning D play. Also the first time in his career he's been traded and going through all that stuff. Bogosian and others really improved after getting extra time and a training camp before last years playoffs. Savard needs to get fully acclimated as fast as he can.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I don't remember. Did Bogo look that great before the playoffs started?

That signing was bashed but people turned around on him before the playoffs started. Bogosian clearly looked like he had something to prove though, his career was on the line.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I don't remember. Did Bogo look that great before the playoffs started?
He took some time to get acclimated IIRC, which is why I’m still reluctant to call the Savard trade a failure, but he fit right in come playoffs. Better skating than expected and not shy to just shoot the puck and play the body.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He took some time to get acclimated IIRC, which is why I’m still reluctant to call the Savard trade a failure, but he fit right in come playoffs. Better skating than expected and not shy to just shoot the puck and play the body.

Based on our comments it took him about 5 games before he started getting good recognition from games. Savard hasn't even had 1 yet, it's not like Tampa was lights out at the end of last year either, we lost 5 of the last 8 to end the RS, they were in the same situation.

Savard already has 14 games in, by that time Bogosian, was 4 games deep into the Columbus series where he was a monster.

Player Discussion: - Zach Bogosian

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Based on our comments it took him about 5 games before he started getting good recognition from games. Savard hasn't even had 1 yet, it's not like Tampa was lights out at the end of last year either, we lost 5 of the last 8 to end the RS, they were in the same situation.

Savard already has 14 games in, by that time Bogosian, was 4 games deep into the Columbus series where he was a monster.

Player Discussion: - Zach Bogosian
What’s your point? I was praising Bogo. But is it really fair to compare Savard to Bogo, who played on a pair with a red hot and healthy Hedman who won both the Norris and the Conn Smythe and during the playoffs that ended with us winning the entire thing?

Savard came to an already depleted and struggling Tampa team without a backup that lost more and more roster players to injuries in the following weeks. 14 games is not a big sample size, especially when everybody gets shuffled up and down the lineup due to injuries and our inability to find our groove again.

Also, one is a shot blocking stay at home defender the other one is a more of a PMD. Completely different styles.
If Bogo was healthy and available of course I’d take him over Savard. Fits the team much better. But is that the question?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
What’s your point? I was praising Bogo. But is it really fair to compare Savard to Bogo, who played on a pair with a red hot and healthy Hedman who won both the Norris and the Conn Smythe and during the playoffs that ended with us winning the entire thing?

Savard came to an already depleted and struggling Tampa team without a backup that lost more and more roster players to injuries in the following weeks. 14 games is not a big sample size, especially when everybody gets shuffled up and down the lineup due to injuries and our inability to find our groove again.

Also, one is a shot blocking stay at home defender the other one is a more of a PMD. Completely different styles.
If Bogo was healthy and available of course I’d take him over Savard. Fits the team much better. But is that the question?

Point was Bogosian got acclimated before the playoffs, you already saw progress as to why it clicked in the playoffs. It didn't magically happen game 1.

I didn't bring up the comparison, but why does Savard need a red hot Hedman to make him look good? At his price he's supposed to hold his own.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Point was Bogosian got acclimated before the playoffs, you already saw progress as to why it clicked in the playoffs. It didn't magically happen game 1.

I didn't bring up the comparison, but why does Savard need a red hot Hedman to make him look good? At his price he's supposed to hold his own.
I never said he needs a red hot Hedman to succeed, I said Bogo had one when he succeeded.

Bottom line is we’re all disappointed with Savard so far. Given the circumstances and knowing what kind of player he is, I’m pretty confident he won’t be the X factor either way. He was brought in to have more options and the right side. To not have to rely on a rookie in Foote, an aging Schenn or a banged up Rutta beyond Cernak.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
He’s been solid after his first couple of games, and he’s usually been very good in the playoffs. I also think the plan when trading for him was to re-sign him anyway, to balance out what has been a mediocre to average right side most of the year. The Lightning have rarely ever traded a big price for a rental that they then didn’t re-sign, at least not during the Yzerman-JBB regime anyway.

we don’t have cap space to even sign sustr this summer savard isn’t staying here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad