Value of: David Savard @ TDL

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
David Savard has been a second-pairing mainstay for the Jackets over the last five years. The thirty year old right shot defenseman is on his way to unrestricted free agency, currently playing out the final year of his contract, making 4.25 million AAV.

If Columbus is out of the playoff race come trade deadline day, he could be one of the players moved to recoup assets lost after the Panarin, Duchene, and Dzingle trades. Especially considering Jarmo and the CBJ brass are high on Andrew Peeke. In general, right hand shot defensemen always seem to garner interest from teams around the league.

HFBoards and hockey fans, what do you think the value of David Savard is? Thanks!

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
I do not think a late 1st or 2 2nds in the right deal is unreasonable for Savard. He would be a great partner for Chabot in Ottawa for instance.

I guess it depends on who else is on the market at that time.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I do not think a late 1st or 2 2nds in the right deal is unreasonable for Savard. He would be a great partner for Chabot in Ottawa for instance.

I guess it depends on who else is on the market at that time.
And Chabot train with him in the summer. Maybe Ottawa keep pick and go for him in the summer

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
It depends on what else is made available. He plays a premium position and those are the ones to get the premium (1st round pick) returns at the deadline. However, supply and demand has the ultimate say than historical precedent. Say what you want about the difference in quality, but Larsson offers a team in that defensive RHD market an alternative for the purpose of internal leverage. A rental+1 is more appealing than a rental. Murphy and Manson are 2022 UFAs.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I could see him landing a 1st this deadline. With so many leagues on hold this years draft is gonna be a crapshoot, so teams might be willing to part with their picks

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It depends on what else is made available. He plays a premium position and those are the ones to get the premium (1st round pick) returns at the deadline. However, supply and demand has the ultimate say than historical precedent. Say what you want about the difference in quality, but Larsson offers a team in that defensive RHD market an alternative for the purpose of internal leverage. A rental+1 is more appealing than a rental. Murphy and Manson are 2022 UFAs.

I get that rental+1 would hold more value, but all those guys you mentioned and Savard would all get 1st round picks if any of those D were up for grabs. At least that's how it normally works. Perhaps there is an unusual glut this year.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He's the guy I hope Toronto targets at the deadline, and I suspect they would since we know they talked, Savard for Kerfoot in the off season but supposedly Toronto didn't want to do it straight up because Savard is a UFA at seasons end

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I don’t see him getting a 1st unless there are conditions on being a final 4 team drafting 29-32 in 22.

more likely it’s a 2nd+
The problem is cap space. What teams have such space. Not many.

I don’t think that many teams are going to be out of it for playoff at the deadline.

I do t recall when it is but you are likely looking at 40 games pkayed where most teams will still be within 5 pts of playoffs.

a more likely trade woukd be from a team who needs to create cap space next year so they trade a player with 1+ yrs left making around $4M-$5M

the deal would be savard for that player Then each side might add picks/prospects to balance things out.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I get that rental+1 would hold more value, but all those guys you mentioned and Savard would all get 1st round picks if any of those D were up for grabs. At least that's how it normally works. Perhaps there is an unusual glut this year.

I would call that hypothetical a glut. Only a subset of teams in the league will be in a position to push the chips to the middle in that way. Only a subset of that subset will be in the market for a defenseman at that price point. Only a subset of that subset will be looking for a RHD that is more defensive than offensive in posture.

Philadelphia stands out as a team that could be in that particular market. You really can't think of defensive RHD without thinking about the Leafs. Beyond that, the fits become more questionable.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Do we know how quarantining works in Canada? I wonder if it depresses trade values in the US?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
How about if the pick is a 2021 1st?
Still not seeing the value. That's essentially a half-assed noncommitment in the direction of a rebuild - two downgrades on the roster that are not seeing significant improvement anytime soon, and a secondhand lottery ticket.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
How about if the pick is a 2021 1st?
Its an interesting offer. Francouz would be exposed in the expansion but not a big deal. The other question is can Colorado absorb that cap hit? Thats what, 8 or so mil going Colorado's way

Last edited:

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Assuming Hamilton stays put the rhd market isn't overwhelming. Montour or Larsson are ok I guess. 2 2's at minimum late 1 isn't crazy ask.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
1st will be hard to come by this year but I could definitely see him getting a couple 2nds.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
He's the guy I hope Toronto targets at the deadline, and I suspect they would since we know they talked, Savard for Kerfoot in the off season but supposedly Toronto didn't want to do it straight up because Savard is a UFA at seasons end
I'd love to have Savard as well but I'd hate to gut the center depth. That being said, even if the Jackets retain salary, I don't see any player that makes sense on top of picks.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Like others have said, i could see a 1st changing hands for Savard. Or a 1st round caliber prospect. Or a 2nd and a pretty good prospect. He's a big, heavy, steady RHD...one of those things practically every team is looking for heading toward a playoff push.

In a lot of cases, even at the "deadline", there'd probably have to be some sort of cap going back to offset things, considering how tight most teams are this year. But i can't see that really being a dealbreaker or impacting the value much. More just a technical addendum tacked on.

Also going to be interesting to see what sort of offer he ends up with as a UFA this offseason (assuming he gets there). Signing with Ottawa to play with Chabot would certainly make a lot of sense though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad