Speculation: David Rundblad

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Been away for the past week, so just catching up on the games. I've been a critic of Rundblad, but I think the Tampa game was his best game to date.

I agree, and he also got his first point of the season! Unfortunately for him, it was overshadowed by the stellar debut of Connor Murphy.

SweYote

Jun 7, 2011
Lund, Sweden
Maybe Tip sees Rundblad as a keeper and for the moment, has to sit him while he showcases Schlemko so he can raise his value in a trade and then plays Rundblad more after.

Does not sound like Tippett to me at all. He puts the players he thinks will give the team the best chance to win on the ice, no exceptions.

aloonda*

stars fan here, this came up on our board----

rundblad for whitney----add as needed?

thoughts?

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona

thoughts?

We love Whitney, but he's coming up on 42, so trading a young-defenseman with high potential for him is not in our best interests, regardless of our defense logjam. If he's available at the deadline the best we would offer would probably be a 2nd. round pick

aloonda*

what would need to be added? just was intrigued, understand it needs to be a two way street

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Peverley can play wing or center, not sure how excited I would be to trade him for Runblad, though. He's the perfect utility player.

Is Gormley's estimated value still astronomical?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yes. Gormley's value is astronomical.

Rundblad's shouldn't be terrible, either. He's a hell of a prospect.

I'd be open to a deal centered around him and Peverley, though. Not Whitney. Even in the case of Peverley, we'd have to find a way to even up the salary and contracts. Like we add Klesla and you add an AHL player of some kind. Maybe Curtis McKenzie or somebody.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Trading Rundblad for anything less than what he is would be counterproductive. Trading someone who could potentially be a first pairing defenseman for the rest of his career for a someone who's remaining career length is probably a year...that would be giving up.

If Rundblad doesn't turn out to what we think he could be, then whatever, we took a gamble that 29 other GM's would've taken, while also ridding our organization of a whiney twerp in Turris. With that said, I think we can all agree that it is looking like he has a greater chance at reaching his potential, than not. If you are one of the few that has written him off completely, you belong with the other 12 year old kids on the main forum who say Ovechkin's career is over, and that anyone drafted 2010 or earlier that hasn't played a game in the NHL is a bust.

The safer hand to play in this situation would be to keep him and give him a genuine shot. If you were going to trade him, the time do it has passed. His value is probably at an all time low, due to the fact that people are starting to doubt that he can crack an NHL roster because of the depth we possess. Then, a defense desperate team calls you and offers you a player that is older and past his prime, but makes you believe you are coming out on top due to the fact that you are receiving tired, but proven production while they take the risk for you. That's when you make the mistake that Montreal did, and trade McDonough for Scott Gomez.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

thoughts?

How desperate do you really think we are?

Rundblad is viewed as a future all-star caliber D. Whitney is one and done and is making $4.5 million.

We might offer Klesla provided we have $1 million left in budget (which we don't based on the media reports).

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Trading Rundblad for anything less than what he is would be counterproductive. Trading someone who could potentially be a first pairing defenseman for the rest of his career for a someone who's remaining career length is probably a year...that would be giving up.

If Rundblad doesn't turn out to what we think he could be, then whatever, we took a gamble that 29 other GM's would've taken, while also ridding our organization of a whiney twerp in Turris. With that said, I think we can all agree that it is looking like he has a greater chance at reaching his potential, than not. If you are one of the few that has written him off completely, you belong with the other 12 year old kids on the main forum who say Ovechkin's career is over, and that anyone drafted 2010 or earlier that hasn't played a game in the NHL is a bust.

The safer hand to play in this situation would be to keep him and give him a genuine shot. If you were going to trade him, the time do it has passed. His value is probably at an all time low, due to the fact that people are starting to doubt that he can crack an NHL roster because of the depth we possess. Then, a defense desperate team calls you and offers you a player that is older and past his prime, but makes you believe you are coming out on top due to the fact that you are receiving tired, but proven production while they take the risk for you. That's when you make the mistake that Montreal did, and trade McDonough for Scott Gomez.

I completely agree with you. You are correct. The problem is that the bolded scenario isn't exactly realistic. Michalek will be back this week. Maybe Morris, too. It's back to squareonesville for Rundblad, watching every game wearing a tie. If Don Maloney has an extremely good indication that Rundblad isn't going to demand a trade and bolt for Europe, than yeah, patience is the way to go because he does have such great potential. If he starts to get the slightest inkling that that the kid is getting fed up, he's got to get what he can while he can. By that I do NOT mean a 42 year old Whitney, but if there's another asset we can use and isn't one and done, it's worth exploring.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I completely agree with you. You are correct. The problem is that the bolded scenario isn't exactly realistic. Michalek will be back this week. Maybe Morris, too. It's back to squareonesville for Rundblad, watching every game wearing a tie. If Don Maloney has an extremely good indication that Rundblad isn't going to demand a trade and bolt for Europe, than yeah, patience is the way to go because he does have such great potential. If he starts to get the slightest inkling that that the kid is getting fed up, he's got to get what he can while he can. By that I do NOT mean a 42 year old Whitney, but if there's another asset we can use and isn't one and done, it's worth exploring.

2 year deal and a transfer agreement. Can't bolt.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
David Rundblad for Milan Michalek

I doubt we'd trade a 23-year-old for a pending UFA. But, the major point here is the salary difference. Michalek makes $6 mil. and we're near/at max budget. Trades need to be, essentially, dollar for dollar.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
i know this right handed guy who played for jersey that would disagree.

No transfer agreement with KHL. The post I was responding was concerned specifically about Rundblad bolting for Europe with the implication being the SEL.

SEL there is a transfer agreement in place.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
No transfer agreement with KHL. The post I was responding was concerned specifically about Rundblad bolting for Europe with the implication being the SEL.

SEL there is a transfer agreement in place.
I believe there is a transfer agreement with the KHL now...
but anyways the other player mentioned retired and the Dev's didn't question it (to get out of that contract, which would have ruined them financially).

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I believe there is a transfer agreement with the KHL now...
but anyways the other player mentioned retired and the Dev's didn't question it (to get out of that contract, which would have ruined them financially).

Still no agreement w KHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad