Speculation: David Rundblad

SweYote

Jun 7, 2011
Lund, Sweden
keep saying one bad game where is the one good game?

tippett just doesn't play rundblad for no reason.

As much as I don't want to admit it, you do have a point. The fact is Rundblad hasn't been more than okay in any of his games in a Coyotes sweater thus far, and that is worrying. Still, we all know that he's torn apart every single league he's played in, in rather convincing fashion, except the NHL... There's just too much potential to give up on this kid before he's even played anywhere close to a full season. Just look at the kids face out there for God's sake, I'm not sure I've ever seen a case where it's more obvious that this is all in his head.

But then again, the Coyotes are a genuine contender this year and there is no place for projects like this at the moment, so I completely understand if Tippett sits him for the majority of this season and he ends up being traded because of it. He's just here at the wrong time right now, I wish he would have come here a few years earlier.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
The reason I didn't quote anybody in particular is because I was saying that there has been a general overreaction to his poor game by several members on this forum. I didn't want to put it in the game thread or in the roster thread but rather the one dedicated to the specific player. There has been large scale griping in all three.

I'll rephrase to be more specific...

Better?
I had no idea your post was actually a catch all response to several posts throughout a few different threads. Obviously you can post how you want but it really helps when you give context. Just my two cents of course.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
As much as I don't want to admit it, you do have a point. The fact is Rundblad hasn't been more than okay in any of his games in a Coyotes sweater thus far, and that is worrying. Still, we all know that he's torn apart every single league he's played in, in rather convincing fashion, except the NHL... There's just too much potential to give up on this kid before he's even played anywhere close to a full season. Just look at the kids face out there for God's sake, I'm not sure I've ever seen a case where it's more obvious that this is all in his head.

But then again, the Coyotes are a genuine contender this year and there is no place for projects like this at the moment, so I completely understand if Tippett sits him for the majority of this season and he ends up being traded because of it. He's just here at the wrong time right now, I wish he would have come here a few years earlier.

If he were in Ottawa right now, he would be playing through mistakes and have some points, on a 6-10 team. At the NHL level, your weakness gets exposed. The game is faster, so his decisions on the defensive end have to be quicker and more precise. Mistakes kill you at this level. His asset value is still the same, so we can be patient for now...

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I'd like them to pair Rundblad and Klesla for a solid 8 to 10 game stretch at this point in his development. That's one of the coaching staff's evaluation cycles. Let them take a good long look at what they've got in game situations by their own metrics. Then decide if they think he's worth continuing to invest in or turn the page and give him a chance elsewhere.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I'd like them to pair Rundblad and Klesla for a solid 8 to 10 game stretch at this point in his development. That's one of the coaching staff's evaluation cycles. Let them take a good long look at what they've got in game situations by their own metrics. Then decide if they think he's worth continuing to invest in or turn the page and give him a chance elsewhere.
Unless they get something very worthwhile in a return, I don't want to see Rundblad shipped anywhere this season and probably not even next season.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Just for consideration anyway, Rundblad isn't being treated much differently than Michael Stone. Both are 23. Stone's game just replaces Klesla better when he's hurt.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I had no idea your post was actually a catch all response to several posts throughout a few different threads. Obviously you can post how you want but it really helps when you give context. Just my two cents of course.

You are absolutely correct. You are also forgetting that I'm an alcoholic.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Just for consideration anyway, Rundblad isn't being treated much differently than Michael Stone. Both are 23. Stone's game just replaces Klesla better when he's hurt.

Stone can play the defensive side of the game, and can learn the offensive side as it comes to him. As fans, we have no reason to be critical of Tippett's approach when it comes to this sort of player, as he and the coaching staff have a pretty good track record. Rundbland, on the other hand, is known primarily for his offensive flair and needs to learn the defensive side of the game. He cannot learn that aspect of the game from video alone. He needs to get into games and play them without fear of being benched. He is a gambler just like Yandle. Would Keith have survived Dave Tippett in his early years? I'm not so sure.

Tippett's handling of defensively questionable yet offensively talented players is troubling and absolutely fair game, given his history. I don't think it's a stretch to say that it is part of why he was fired in Dallas. Do we go all in and accept that offensive players will struggle without a 2 way game before they hit the Coyotes? Or do we stop and ask for a little bit more leniency from the coaching staff in the hopes that it spurs the development of these guys?

I'm in the latter camp. Rundblad is a proxy in this ideological struggle. That's why some of us want to see him in a game, come hell or high water. Others just want to win, regardless of any tradeoffs.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Unless they get something very worthwhile in a return, I don't want to see Rundblad shipped anywhere this season and probably not even next season.

I really think that if they gave him a 10 game stretch with Klesla to build some confidence and get in a groove, they'd see a few glimpses of what Rundblad can become and would decide to continue investing in him and start shopping Schlemko.

If we assume that Yandle and OEL are locks for offensive D next season, and Gormley's at least on the roster, I can't see both Rundblad and Schlemko on the team, even though they're both under contract. Everyone assumes Rundblad has more trade value. At some point, some hard decisions will have to be made.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I really think that if they gave him a 10 game stretch with Klesla to build some confidence and get in a groove, they'd see a few glimpses of what Rundblad can become and would decide to continue investing in him and start shopping Schlemko.

If we assume that Yandle and OEL are locks for offensive D next season, and Gormley's at least on the roster, I can't see both Rundblad and Schlemko on the team, even though they're both under contract. Everyone assumes Rundblad has more trade value. At some point, some hard decisions will have to be made.

Yeah, I agree with this. Maloney probably can afford to procrastinate this season and does have the pieces to trade for a scorer w/o touching D. But ultimately things will reach critical mass on our blueline next season.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
honestly... trade him already!!!!!... geeze poor guy. Yotes may as well use him and a pick to acquire another forward... Rundblad and a pick to Florida for Shawn Matthias

This is killing his development basically being a practice player only. So dumb signing him to a 1 way deal this season. He obviously isnt going to play in Phoenix so they may as well use him to get something.

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
honestly... trade him already!!!!!... geeze poor guy. Yotes may as well use him and a pick to acquire another forward... Rundblad and a pick to Florida for Shawn Matthias

This is killing his development basically being a practice player only. So dumb signing him to a 1 way deal this season. He obviously isnt going to play in Phoenix so they may as well use him to get something.

I'm perfectly fine with our record this year. Rundblad will get his shot. He needs to earn his spot though. Just because he is on a one-way is not enough reason to give him prefential treatment.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ

He's been given chances and performed average at best and poorly at worst. It's likely GMDM moves him this year, but he's a top 3 pick and traded for Turris....so they're not going to give him away. Probably moved at the deadline.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
He's been given chances and performed average at best and poorly at worst. It's likely GMDM moves him this year, but he's a top 3 pick and traded for Turris....so they're not going to give him away. Probably moved at the deadline.

Rundblad was 17th overall, wasn't a top 3 pick.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Is he married yet?

5mN7e.jpg

So cute.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Rundblad is fine. Young guys make mistakes it apart of development. He is getting some NHL games and that is good. Coyotes are very deep on defense. Who know who will get moved..probably whoever is the most expendable and will get the most in return. Who that is? I have no idea. Forwards can be moved also. Wolski, Pyatt, and Mueller got moved..so who knows who will be traded. My guess is a package of a D and a forward. But anyones guess is as good as mine.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Been away for the past week, so just catching up on the games. I've been a critic of Rundblad, but I think the Tampa game was his best game to date.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad