Speculation: David Rundblad

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
If Ottawa wants/needs Rundblad back we need to ask for Zibanejad. That is who we should have traded for in the Turris deal.

The Sens just drafted Zibanejad in the 1st round and a 2nd? Turris isn't worth that much!

But they will never give up Zibanejad.
for Gormley they might! IMO, their value seems to be equal but if the Sens don't expect to re-sign MM they may need Zibanejad to fill a top 6 forward spot
Conacher/Pageau/Michalek more likely, and i dont like any of them... perhaps Michalek, but he will cost us more probably.
If the Sens let Milan be available, teams will be wary of trading for just a rental. Speculation would have him signing with the Coyotes during the off-season. His value won't be as high as the Sen's fans think it would be.

Longwayfromhome

Sweden/London, UK.
Oct 18, 2013
The Sens just drafted Zibanejad in the 1st round and a 2nd? Turris isn't worth that much!

for Gormley they might! IMO, their value seems to be equal but if the Sens don't expect to re-sign MM they may need Zibanejad to fill a top 6 forward spot If the Sens let Milan be available, teams will be wary of trading for just a rental. Speculation would have him signing with the Coyotes during the off-season. His value won't be as high as the Sen's fans think it would be.

Senators are having real trouble with their D this year. I bet they would love to get Gormley, they would like a tw way left-handed LD. Especially with Cowen underperforming badly so far and Phillips looking so very old.

Last edited:

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
It is a tough spot for Rundblad....but he's not produced when given his (limited) chance(s). His value is low, but can't see anyway it improves as he's not built for this system. Need to move him and get what you can....as he's blocking spots for others.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
It is a tough spot for Rundblad....but he's not produced when given his (limited) chance(s). His value is low, but can't see anyway it improves as he's not built for this system. Need to move him and get what you can....as he's blocking spots for others.

I disagree that his value is low. With as many injuries as we have on D, I think he will get his chance this year. I think DM should be patient, and make the right deal to move a D man and pick up a forward.No need to move him, he is under contract, the Coyotes are holding the cards. if he gets a chance to play, and plays well, he will be forced into the line up. This will work out well for the Coyotes and Runblad, and remember, this is not Edmonton....

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
When talking about Rundblad we're talking about a 3rd overall pick essentially. That's an asset I'd rather not see wasted. Put me the camp that would rather see him flourish here or bust. Things change though he could want out or go back to Europe. The guys going to get some more opportunities this year to make something happen. Defensively he looks better than last year, but offensively I see him pressing a little bit. He wants to make something happen out there every shift. He wants more playing time but he really just needs to simplify his game which sucks for someone of his ability. Hopefully he figures out how to be more opportunistic in that regard. Hardly see him smile much anymore. The dude doesn't look confident at all.

Longwayfromhome

Sweden/London, UK.
Oct 18, 2013
When talking about Rundblad we're talking about a 3rd overall pick essentially. That's an asset I'd rather not see wasted. Put me the camp that would rather see him flourish here or bust. Things change though he could want out or go back to Europe. The guys going to get some more opportunities this year to make something happen. Defensively he looks better than last year, but offensively I see him pressing a little bit. He wants to make something happen out there every shift. He wants more playing time but he really just needs to simplify his game which sucks for someone of his ability. Hopefully he figures out how to be more opportunistic in that regard. Hardly see him smile much anymore. The dude doesn't look confident at all.

Well, confidence can easily be lost. Just imagine playing great in preseason, leading the team in points. Earn a spot on top 6. Play three games and play good, not great, but good enough really. And then, because the team lost on the road at Islanders get scratched for 10 games in a row. Hearing Tippet saying in his pressers that "I don't want to mess with a winning lineup". And then drawing back in a couple of games ago just to get scratched again despite the team is winning, so much for "not messing with a winning lineup". Of course the guy is gonna loose confidence.

Last edited:

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I'm sick of this discussion. The team is playing great, so there's no need to shoehorn him into the lineup for a change of pace. The issues they do have seem to be mostly on the defensive side, and while Rundblad has looked steady in limited minutes, that's not really his strong suit. They can't send him to the AHL because he'd never clear waivers, and he's not threatening to flee overseas. I'd prefer to see him playing over Stone or Schlemko, but it's not like he's given Tippett no choice.

We're 16 games in, folks. More than 80% of the season remains, and even if he plays only as much as he's played so far, he'll slot in for 25 or so games. More likely, he'll finish with north of 40. He's only 23.

It would have been great if Rundblad had forced the team's hand, locked up a spot in the top 6, and played 75 games this year. That hasn't happened. What has happened, though, is no cause for alarm, and if we've learned anything through the Maloney years, this stuff tends to work itself out anyway. The hockey gods tend to reward the patient.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I'm sick of this discussion. The team is playing great, so there's no need to shoehorn him into the lineup for a change of pace. The issues they do have seem to be mostly on the defensive side, and while Rundblad has looked steady in limited minutes, that's not really his strong suit. They can't send him to the AHL because he'd never clear waivers, and he's not threatening to flee overseas. I'd prefer to see him playing over Stone or Schlemko, but it's not like he's given Tippett no choice.

We're 16 games in, folks. More than 80% of the season remains, and even if he plays only as much as he's played so far, he'll slot in for 25 or so games. More likely, he'll finish with north of 40. He's only 23.

It would have been great if Rundblad had forced the team's hand, locked up a spot in the top 6, and played 75 games this year. That hasn't happened. What has happened, though, is no cause for alarm, and if we've learned anything through the Maloney years, this stuff tends to work itself out anyway. The hockey gods tend to reward the patient.

This!

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
Just to be clear I wasn't advocating for him to be forced into the lineup. I have no qualms with how Maloney and Tip handle things. Just been feeling for the guy do to our depth.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
Just to be clear I wasn't advocating for him to be forced into the lineup. I have no qualms with how Maloney and Tip handle things. Just been feeling for the guy do to our depth.

It's obvious that no other team has a good enough offer for one of the d'men. And then which of the d'men would you move that wouldn't mess up the chemistry.

Don't want to trade the younger players when the team is budget conscious and the defensive veterans are a good reason for the early success.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
What you you guys be looking for in return if he is moved? Calgary is in need of an NHL ready defenseman.

We would probably try and manage a deal for Cammy or Hudler. It wouldn't be straight up, obviously.

but if I'm correct, Cammy has a NTC, and I'm almost positive Phoenix is on 70% of NTC's that were implemented in any contract signed before the year of 2012.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Rundblad still kind of looks like a deer in headlights out there to me. He makes a lot of mistakes and I can see why Tippet is not ready to trust him yet. Hopefully when he gets his next shot (he was not good tonight) he'll look much better.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Rundblad had a bad game, but it's just growing pains. If he had a series of bad games like last nights I'd be more worried. But he's going to receive some lumps on the way to becoming an NHL regular. Everyone does.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Rundblad had a bad game, but it's just growing pains. If he had a series of bad games like last nights I'd be more worried. But he's going to receive some lumps on the way to becoming an NHL regular. Everyone does.

Agreed...He just needs to learn all the little things he is being exposed for, the things he has not had to be proficient at yet, because of lesser competition and his offensive skills. This a normal part of the process, remember OEL being up for a while then back down. Look at how he turned out. Tip knows what he is doing here. We all need to be patient for him to improve, or for the write deal to come along...

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
Overreaction to one bad game from a rusty as hell young player. Yeesh

Yep. It's easy to forget the growing pains that a young D has to go through. Ekman-Larsson kind of spoiled us in a sense with his rapid improvement into his sophomore year. Yandle, OEL, Schlemko had more than their fair share of turnovers at one point.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I'm glad we have him, and someday I'll probably be more glad, but for now I'm fine with him being the 8th guy. It's okay; we need the depth. (better him when the D injuries start than, say, Summers, whom I've never warmed up to)

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Overreaction to one bad game from a rusty as hell young player. Yeesh
I'm going to assume you were responding to Swat Ultra as I fail to see how my comment was anywhere near an overreaction but then again I often have no idea who the hell you're replying to. Take advantage of that "Quote message in reply" check box please.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm going to assume you were responding to Swat Ultra as I fail to see how my comment was anywhere near an overreaction but then again I often have no idea who the hell you're replying to. Take advantage of that "Quote message in reply" check box please.

The reason I didn't quote anybody in particular is because I was saying that there has been a general overreaction to his poor game by several members on this forum. I didn't want to put it in the game thread or in the roster thread but rather the one dedicated to the specific player. There has been large scale griping in all three.

I'll rephrase to be more specific...

Wow there has bit quite a bit of generalized Overreaction to one bad game from a rusty as hell young player. Yeesh

Better?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad