Speculation: David Rundblad

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I think it's a tough situation for all involved. I understand why Tippet does not trust Rundblad, in my opinion he is hands down the worst defender of all the dmen and probably several of the forwards as well. It's hard for him to get better without experience though and he's not getting that riding the pine. If you could look into a crystal ball and see that playing Rundblad now guaranteed he'd turn into a stud d-man in a couple of years it'd be easier but you don't have that guarantee. Tip could play him and 2 years from now he still may not have developed enough to justify the games lost as a result of putting him in. As I said, it's just a tough situation. Ideally next time Rundblad gets a shot, he'll play well enough that Tip can't bench him. That's basically what OEL and Yandle did, hopefully Rundblad can take that next step as well.

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
This ****ing sucks. I honestly appreciate Rundblad now more than I ever have. The guy is 22-23 and has already been traded 2 times, and been the odd man out 3, but he remains loyal to each team he's been apart of. If this were Turris, Mueller, or Wheeler, they would've cried their little eyes out 2 years ago and not have participated in anything involving the team.

This will be the only player I will not be upset with if he demands a trade, and I have a feeling we will all be kicking ourselves in 5 years from now if he's a top pairing defenseman on another team.

I hope Maloney makes the right decision, and makes it quick. How many times in a span of 10 years are we going to have young players ask to be traded? We are going to start putting doubt in our current prospects' minds, and instill fear into players at the draft.

Is the article out yet?

Yes, it's on the first page.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I don't think it's all that surprising that Rundblad's sitting. If he'd played once every four games instead of the first three, we probably wouldn't be thinking as much of it. His contract is sort of indicative of a guy in his position.

He's too good for the AHL at this point, so there's no real reason to put him there and risk being injured when the time comes. He doesn't have enough games played for Tippett & co. to really have evaluated him in game situations, so he's an unknown quantity among a very deep and well known pool. I figured him playing 40 NHL games this year, and I still think that's a realistic target. He's just got to wait his turn and seize the chance when it comes.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Honestly can we just trade him away.. I feel bad for the kid.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
McLellan says Schlem as day to day, lower body, and with Rusty still on IR it's likely we see Rundblad tomorrow. Hopefully he can make it count.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
He is under contract so he can demand a trade all he wants to but that does not mean we have to do anything. If he did demand a trade, I think it is a mistake to grant him his wish and take less then full value for him. It also sets a bad precedent for other young players in the system, just demand a trade any your gone.

Does he want to go to a team that plays him plenty of minutes while he gets killed, like Yak. Developing young players is tricky, pre Tip we ruined a few players.

The bottom line is that we have 8 NHL D. If we assume that 1 will always be hurt, we really need 7. Between here and the trade dead line, 1 will be traded and then everything will be fine.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Winning now can come at the expense of winning more later. You're welcome to defend his shoddy developmental abilities when it comes to offensive talent. Together we can pretend like it wasn't part of why he was on the market and available to the Coyotes in the first place.

This is why I say DM needs to move the young offensive talent for vets that Tip will actually play. At this point, it is what it is. I just have no confidence in him developing offense first guys. Why not move these guys while they still have value? I don't want to see complete losses like Mueller. We got Rundblad for Turris and we're starting to head down that same road with him. How much better could Boeds be under a coach with a track record of developing offense? I've been waiting for them to bring in a coach that specializes in this to shore up the glaring weakness on the staff and in the organization. That hasn't happened so obviously they aren't going to address it. Strategic trades seem like the next best solution.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Honestly can we just trade him away.. I feel bad for the kid.

Why do you feel sorry for him? He is only 23 years old and has only played in NA for a few years. Why trade him when is value is still low. I think we have to all be patient and see what happens.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I liked Rundblad when we had him in Ottawa. He showed flashes of brilliance but lacked consistency. We're desperate for defensemen now and we'd love to grab one of your excess guys. What would you want from Ottawa to send Rundblad back? What about Michael Stone or Brandon Gormley?

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
I liked Rundblad when we had him in Ottawa. He showed flashes of brilliance but lacked consistency. We're desperate for defensemen now and we'd love to grab one of your excess guys. What would you want from Ottawa to send Rundblad back? What about Michael Stone or Brandon Gormley?

Unfortunately you'd really have to pay the piper. Each one of the players you mentioned are highly regarded when it comes to value. I know they haven't been able to show much yet, but they've got it and we all see it. It's just hard to play these guys when we have 6 guys that could play in the top 4 on any other team. Good problem to have, yet frustrating at the same time.

Can you imagine if Rundblad turns out like he's expected to and we see an OEL-Rundblad pairing? Swedish nightmare to opposing teams.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
I'd have to imagine any deal with the Sens involves Milan Michalek.

I see other possibilities such as Gormley for Zibanejad as well as the Coyotes having interest in Lazar & Conacher

I doubt that the Sens would take back salary for Michalek and it isn't feasible for the (budget conscious) Coyotes to take on that much payroll at this time, maybe after 57 games have been played.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I would like Lazar as a long term Vermette replacement, but if I were the Sens I wouldn't give him up anymore than we'd give Domi up.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Pieces that actually sting to give up. Not spare parts you don't care about. Think of an asset that really hurts to lose, and offer it up. You'll likely be close.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
If Ottawa wants/needs Rundblad back we need to ask for Zibanejad. That is who we should have traded for in the Turris deal.

Longwayfromhome

Sweden/London, UK.
Oct 18, 2013
If Ottawa wants/needs Rundblad back we need to ask for Zibanejad. That is who we should have traded for in the Turris deal.

But they will never give up Zibanejad. Conacher/Pageau/Michalek more likely, and i dont like any of them... perhaps Michalek, but he will cost us more probably.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Truthfully Ottawa's best trading chip right now is Craig Anderson and I know that's not what you need. We don't even have a first round pick this year. Milan Michalek is probably on offer but he's injury prone as well as unrestricted at seasons end.

Maybe we could just go nuts and do something around Spezza and Yandle.

Dr VinnyBoombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Rundblad has proved he can play the last two games, he wasn't awful defensively...but he wasn't better than Klesla either. I'd put him ahead of Stone the last two games though.

With that said, I like Stone's shot and physicality better than Rundblads. Plus, not sure why we keep using him in the SO, he doesn't look particularly good at it.

HerrDonut

May 30, 2013
Arizona
Plus, not sure why we keep using him in the SO, he doesn't look particularly good at it.
Word on the street (Tyson) says that Rundblad has proven capable in the shootout at the AHL level. But yeah, I've yet to see him impress in that format in the NHL, in a game or at training camps.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Word on the street (Tyson) says that Rundblad has proven capable in the shootout at the AHL level. But yeah, I've yet to see him impress in that format in the NHL, in a game or at training camps.

If he did it more I think his skills would show. Just needs to get comfortable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->