Player Discussion David Quinn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
People are making comparisons to Torts, have to be honest I do not see it. I do see similarities in the effort that is demanded and accountability, but that is about it. Quinn's system seems to possess a more offensive upside and I do not see the fire and brimstone type beratement of players on the bench. Quinn seems to want to handled things behind close doors. Don't get me wrong, I loved Torts. But Quinn (so far......) seems to be able to reach his players in a much better way. Again, it is VERY early. Both in the season and as his career as an NHL coach.
Quinn’s brought a fun blue-collar attitude to this teams that supported by some pretty good, and still getting better, skill. I think there are some big areas in the defensive zone that need to be cleared up, but he’s overall done a great job. You can tell he’s done really well managing the younger guys and he’s been getting them to buy into his style. The tangible results in getting guys like Buch, ADA, and Names to perform better are hard to ignore.

Reactions: eco's bones

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The tangible results in getting guys like Buch, ADA, and Names to perform better are hard to ignore.
Also need to consider, that again while early, the likes of Krieder and Hayes appear to be taking their game to a new level.

Last edited:
Reactions: RGY

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Quinn has pushed all the right buttons so far and I have no complaints. I did not know much about Quinn's previous coaching experience before he came to New York but 20 games in he's been great in my opinion. It's only November and you can already see certain players taking steps forward and responding to his coaching moves which is great to see so early on. It bodes well for the young players' development moving forward. I'm sure there will be tough times ahead for the youth but I'm confident Quinn will handle that as well.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The leash he's given Staal has been insane and I don't love how he handled Chytil before moving him up or Lias now but there is not much else to complain about so far.

Not bad for a guy who really doesn't want to be here.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Also need to consider, that again while early, the likes of Krieder and Hayes appear to be taking their game to a new level.
Which was one of the big messages from Gorton heading into this offseason. He knew there were guys in the room that had down years and needed to be better this season. Quinn coaching and utilizing these guys the right way to get results is impressive for the first 20 games of your NHL coaching career.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Quinn's been good. Seeing Skjei and Shattenkirk (earlier) scratched tells me he expects players no matter how good they are to play with effort and to play to their ability. That he would scratch guys like that tells me he's going to be fair....and I don't think it's to punish...it's simply to send a message. The only one who really didn't respond after being scratched was Spooner and he's gone now.

But Vesey looks like a completely different player. Buchnevich was great after his scratches. Chytil's finally got the confidence. DeAngelo's defense is pretty solid now. Howden's been great all year. The Rangers younger guys aren't passengers---they're really contributing.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Is it true that Montgomery was Gorton's first choice?
There was/will never be any official confirmation but if you read the tea leaves, it would appear that was the case

There was all the reports they were interested and talking to Montgomery. Then it came out he didn't want to be on a rebuilding team, and NYC wasn't for him, and he chose Dallas

Seems like at that point the Rangers shifted to Quinn full time, and made sure to up their offer to get the guy

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I feel as though he's struck some balances here.

He's asking them to be tough and play hard, but he's not going full Bylsma and just shitting on anyone with talent.

He's willing to send a message to get the best from his players but he's not ruining anyone's life.

As a coach, you can't just be everyone's best bud but people don't respond to being treated like shit. I think Coach Quinn has shown an understanding of that.

Our previous coach was the opposite -- Mr. Nice Guy to your face while he sticks you on the bench.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I feel as though he's struck some balances here.

He's asking them to be tough and play hard, but he's not going full Bylsma and just ****ting on anyone with talent.

He's willing to send a message to get the best from his players but he's not ruining anyone's life.

As a coach, you can't just be everyone's best bud but people don't respond to being treated like ****. I think Coach Quinn has shown an understanding of that.

Our previous coach was the opposite -- Mr. Nice Guy to your face while he sticks you on the bench.
I think the key thing going forward with all coaches is going to be communication with their players, as long as they understand why they’re getting benched or being put on lower lines, etc etc and they understand what they have to do to be better or just even in better standing with the coach everything should work itself out. Like, I get why people were/are upset about some younger guys being on the 4th line, but it’s not like when AV would put Buch on the 4th line and not tell him why he was there or what he can do to get off it. The bigger problem was who else was on the 4th line, but McLeod should be sitting more often than not when the team is fully healthy thanks to Strome and Fogarty

Reactions: Machinehead

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
There was/will never be any official confirmation but if you read the tea leaves, it would appear that was the case

There was all the reports they were interested and talking to Montgomery. Then it came out he didn't want to be on a rebuilding team, and NYC wasn't for him, and he chose Dallas

Seems like at that point the Rangers shifted to Quinn full time, and made sure to up their offer to get the guy

Seems like Quinn is doing more with less.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
If this team ends up in a playoff spot let alone a division spot and not a wildcard, he’s going to easily be a finalist for COTY.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Seems Quinn reacts to poor play a lot more forcefully than AV ever did.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Has vastly exceeded all expectations anyone could have had at this point. Seems to handle people very well which is like 90% of the job.

Needs better tactical minds with him and much better gameplans and breakouts. Not a big brain Xs and Os guy.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I like Quinn a lot, and I'm not sure if this is purely a talent issue, but I really have been displeased with some of the on-ice execution in the defensive zone and in transition. This could still be a by-product of learning his system and figuring out how to play instinctively under Quinn. A lot of the issue lies in forwards lacking on providing support to the dmen, but the dmen haven't been doing themselves any favors by just letting guys get to the crease without resistance.

I do like how Quinn keeps stressing that these guys just need to shoot the damn puck, but unfortunately it hasn't matriculated onto the ice yet. I'll be happy as long as we see this team rebound from this bad stretch and get back to forming their identity under Quinn that we started seeing the beginnings of a few weeks ago.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I like Quinn a lot, and I'm not sure if this is purely a talent issue, but I really have been displeased with some of the on-ice execution in the defensive zone and in transition. This could still be a by-product of learning his system and figuring out how to play instinctively under Quinn. A lot of the issue lies in forwards lacking on providing support to the dmen, but the dmen haven't been doing themselves any favors by just letting guys get to the crease without resistance.

It's a mixed bag. The talent on the back end is...something.

I feel like forwards not helping out the defensemen has been an issue during AV as well.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I do like how Quinn keeps stressing that these guys just need to shoot the damn puck, but unfortunately it hasn't matriculated onto the ice yet. I'll be happy as long as we see this team rebound from this bad stretch and get back to forming their identity under Quinn that we started seeing the beginnings of a few weeks ago.
I think that this will change as the players get acclimated more and even more so, as new players take the spots of those who are currently here.

Reactions: Mac n Gs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->