Player Discussion David Quinn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I thought the idea of AV not talking to Buch was so insane it couldn't be accurate but after that segment and the story about the Hitch, I guess it is
Is it at all surprising? A.v. uused to like never practice...constant days off, zero adjustments...the guy just...

U know I'm gonna stop. This is about Quinn. And it's clear that Quinn wants certain things and he will help you get there.

He's a very good coach.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Is it at all surprising? A.v. uused to like never practice...constant days off, zero adjustments...the guy just...

U know I'm gonna stop. This is about Quinn. And it's clear that Quinn wants certain things and he will help you get there.

He's a very good coach.
Just the idea of a coach literally not exchanging words with any player they have over a long scope of time seemed unreal to me.

What Quinn is doing seems to be well beyond what's normal, which is great to see. A lot of people don't respond well to aloof management.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Just the idea of a coach literally not exchanging words with any player they have over a long scope of time seemed unreal to me.

What Quinn is doing seems to be well beyond what's normal, which is great to see. A lot of people don't respond well to aloof management.
Yeah, I've never played hockey with coaches, but I did play tennis at a very high level when I was younger...we had constant skills coaching and 1 on 1 time with our coaches. I'm kinda surprised that more proncoaches aren't hands on. It's a team game but every player has different issues they need to work on to get into the big picture of how the team wants to play. You'd think an nhl coach would need to work on that.

Seems like they mostly delegate it to their assistants...but if it were me, I'd wanna be more hands on.

Kudos to Quinn.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The weird thing is....I'd usually be tearing the coach a new one for putting Cody McLeod in night in and night out....but he's playing minimal minutes and he's actually making his presence felt. I think Cody McLeod been a halfway decent player for us. He's hitting, he's bringing energy...this is a veteran on likely his last contract and our coach even has him playing better.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
He's a breath of fresh air, and has had impressive results considering the roster he's been given. I really only question his love for Pionk, all other players he seems to hold appropriately accountable.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The weird thing is....I'd usually be tearing the coach a new one for putting Cody McLeod in night in and night out....but he's playing minimal minutes and he's actually making his presence felt. I think Cody McLeod been a halfway decent player for us. He's hitting, he's bringing energy...this is a veteran on likely his last contract and our coach even has him playing better.
He's leaning on some vets, but like I said earlier, every coach will. That's just the culture in the NHL. But I think he's kept it to a digestible level, and given the kids some leash when they've earned it.

DeAngelo has been eating defensive zone starts lately which is pretty incredible. That's Quinn doing something that I think most other coaches would be afraid to do.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
DeAngelo been the rangers best rhd pretty much since he was called up from the minors last season.

I think a.v. was right to send him down, and I think a.d.a. handled it poorly at first. But since turning it around he's been superb.

I always held strong that even tho DeAngelo looked like he was playing poorly, if you watched him on iso, he was basically playing the system they ran flawlessly.

He's been really good this year as well.

Never really got why he was scratched so much, but clearly Quinn had stuff ye eantedhe wanted him to work on

Message received it would seem....because Ada seems to be playing more and more minutes every game.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
He's leaning on some vets, but like I said earlier, every coach will. That's just the culture in the NHL. But I think he's kept it to a digestible level, and given the kids some leash when they've earned it.

DeAngelo has been eating defensive zone starts lately which is pretty incredible. That's Quinn doing something that I think most other coaches would be afraid to do.
But who are the rangers vets that he's leaning on? It's not like they're a super old team

Staals the big one, and hard to justify

.but who else,. Zucc I guess?

Zibanejad is 25...

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
But who are the rangers vets that he's leaning on? It's not like they're a super old team

Staals the big one, and hard to justify

.but who else,. Zucc I guess?

Zibanejad is 25...
I guess Staal is the only shitty one lol

As you said, he keeps McLeod to a minimum.

NY Lito

Jan 13, 2010
NJ
QuInN iS aN iDiOt AnD rUiNiNg tHe KiDs

It’s almost like damning opinions shouldn’t be formed after only a handful of games.

Reactions: bleedblue94

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Hope Buch can get right back to being hot or at least lukewarm. If he and Chytil are both going, watch out.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Not sure I see it that way. I think that Quinn and the staff have "coached him up". Quinn scratched him from games. Then spoke to him. Clearly communicated what was needed once back in the line up. DeAngelo took it and ran with it. Then went on to earn more trust. Which Quinn has given him. Seems like a winning formula.

Reactions: NY Lito

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Never really got why he was scratched so much, but clearly Quinn had stuff ye eantedhe wanted him to work on

Message received it would seem....because Ada seems to be playing more and more minutes every game.
That's it in a nutshell. Quinn made his message crystal clear. For whatever reason, it took what it took for ADA to receive it loud and clear. At some point he got it, and that was probably before he got back on the ice. Once there, DeAngelo made himself noticeable. And has been earning Quinn's trust.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
That's it in a nutshell. Quinn made his message crystal clear. For whatever reason, it took what it took for ADA to receive it loud and clear. At some point he got it, and that was probably before he got back on the ice. Once there, DeAngelo made himself noticeable. And has been earning Quinn's trust.

This is what I've loved about him. I also have to wonder if this mentality was the reason for the Letter for Fogarty shuffle. The message is being sent to the guys in Hartford as well—find a way to be noticed and you'll get a shot.

Reactions: Inferno

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This is what I've loved about him. I also have to wonder if this mentality was the reason for the Letter for Fogarty shuffle. The message is being sent to the guys in Hartford as well—find a way to be noticed and you'll get a shot.
Probably a bit of both, though I believe that the message was the lesser of. Lettieri was not being noticeable at all. That is completely on him. I think if he was not doing exactly what Quinn wanted, he would have been scratched earlier. So it is possible that Lettieri was doing what was asked, just so poorly that it was no longer feasible to keep him in the line up. Fogarty has have been performing well enough to where they lost nothing by getting him a chance (also audition for a future bottom 6 role).

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Meritocracy. It's what most of us wanted. Earn your minutes.

Skjei being scratched is proof.
Glad he sat again. One game would've sent a slap on the wrist message. He's gotta work for it. Maybe this is the start of Skjei's rebirth

Reactions: Inferno

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
People are making comparisons to Torts, have to be honest I do not see it. I do see similarities in the effort that is demanded and accountability, but that is about it. Quinn's system seems to possess a more offensive upside and I do not see the fire and brimstone type beratement of players on the bench. Quinn seems to want to handled things behind close doors. Don't get me wrong, I loved Torts. But Quinn (so far......) seems to be able to reach his players in a much better way. Again, it is VERY early. Both in the season and as his career as an NHL coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad